GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ram mount on the way for my GPS. I have a 12v power plug in my left pocket that I am planning on plugging my gps into. Any suggestions on where to run the wire to the gps? I don't want to leave the left pocket door open while riding. :)
Any help would be great!

·
Registered
850 Posts
This is how I did it on my 2010 GL1800.
I wanted it simple.
Since you already have the power plug connected and installed. Maybe splicing into the hot + and ground - and add a fuse before you splice. I doubt you will be using both at the same time and even if you do most GPS' only have a 1-2 amp fuse.

How to run the gps connection.
After removing the left storage compartment you will see where the Icome cable comes out. It is on a wedge to lock it in place. I just took a good knife and trimmed it so the GPS cable would also fit and be firm to hold both cables in place.

I use a Garmin zummo 660 so the gps mounts stays on the bike all the time.
I have considered adding a power port plug. Mainly because I bought 1 so I would have the plug to install my GPS. It is in my electric parts box.
Maybe I need to go ahead and do that.

hope this helps or at least gives ya some ideas.

dd

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I close the door right onto the audio cable only cause I am too lazy to take the dash apart, drill holes and properly run the wiring. :) 2 years, 40,000 miles and no issues yet.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Drilled a hole in the compartment wall about 1" below the lid, large enough to get the GPS plug through. Run the wire through this hole to the handlebars or wherever you're going with it. You can then keep the lid closed, and water isn't likely to get in. The compartment comes with a drain hole anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts