GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Board, I just read about GPS/Bluetooth on the General Forum.
Can some one supply a LINK to a Sight? galewing

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Currently, I know of three 'motorcycle-class' units that support Bluetooth integration with a cellphone: the Garmin 2820, Zumo & TomTom's 'Rider'.

There are other models that support Bluetooth, but typically aren't weatherproof so I don't consider them M/C-friendly.

Basically, the phone pairs up to the GPS to exchange data with each other. Your phone book is transferred to the GPS, so searching for contacts to call, displaying the CallerID info, etc. is all shown on the GPS screen. In a nutshell, the GPS display becomes your phone interface.

The GPS outputs the phone audio to whatever you've got the audio routed (external speaker on the cigarette lighter plug, external audio output on the stereo music output plug, etc.) but needs a connection from an external microphone to provide your voice to the phone (mic plugs into GPS, GPS sends the voice to the phone). The 2820 makes some very specific signal routing, depending on what cable is connected where and whether the phone is active as well, but these are covered pretty well in Kennedy's configuration guide linked below.

The Kennedy CellSet/2820 system will provide a connection between the GPS's audio output and the intercom system, as well as connecting your helmet microphone audio to the GPS microphone jack to provide a complete plug and play audio connection.

I assume that Jon @ Kennedy is working on a Zumo cradle-specific harness like he has already created for the 2820 and that it will be added to his GPS device harness listing as soon as it is finished. Here's a link to the 2820 configuration guide that lists some of the 2820-specific connection options and issues. As you'll see, there are a lot of choices that make configuring the installation of this system slightly more difficult...

·
Registered
205 Posts
you can also use the J&M CFRG units with the CFRG-BT01 J&M built bluetooth adapter ,,,,, ((( http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp ... =CFRG-BT01 ))))),,,,,,,,, ((( http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp ... =CFRG-GL18 )))

in this bluetoth adpater, we made sure that the mike signal levels going into the cell phone were at the correct level for hands free speech at high speeds ,,,,

this will also bring the GPS route commands as well as the cell phone functions into the driver's headset for hands free operation ,,,,,, when linked to the Garmin 2820, Zumo and the TomTom rider GPS units ,,,,

works really well ,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
319 Posts
As much as I pop off about the Zumo I've pre-ordered and should receive in a week or two, I've already upgraded my SPIII with this Nuvi 660. I have it earmarked for my car and traveling (by plane here in the US and to Europe). The GPS Lodge reviewer called it "the best GPS [he has] every used," and the accolades are just rolling in.

Here are a few brief pearls of standout information. It is both a GPS AND a PDA, giving you a fairly useful set of travelers' tools (i.e., Frommers' travel guide for a number of cities, currency conversion, bilingual dictionary with phrases, world clock, calculator, picture viewer, MP3 and audio book player, etcetera). It also comes with the cutting edge SiRF III chipset/receiver. The screen is bright AND large (the venerable IWay is one of the few that is larger); here's a comparison to some other Garmin models:

MODEL.................................W...........H..........Sq. Inches
Nuvi 660..............................3.81......2.25...........8.57
SPIII....................................3.4.........1.8............6.12
Zumo...................................2.8.........2.1............5.88
26xx, 27xx, 28xx Series......3.3.........1.7............5.61

It is very portable! You can slip it into your pocket, and I mean your back pants pocket as opposed to a large coat pocket. It runs on AC or vehicle battery power as usual, as well as a rechargeable internal lithium-ion battery so you can use it in your hotel room, home or office (the SiRF III can read the satellites from there). There is of course Bluetooth operation (i.e., cell phone pairing -- I believe 2 different phone ID's can be made). You can make it speak and display in several dozen languages, and it is small enough to carry by hand/walking to find that specific gelato shop in Florence or that bistro with the best creme brulee in Paris (use its "Pedestrian" mode like I tried out this morning to get me the 2 blocks from BART to my job here in SF!). Although it comes with all US maps and there's plenty of room in it's internal memory, you can also purchase an SD card for it to load additional maps (i.e., Europe), about 1,200 MP3 songs (which will fit on the 4GB SD card I bought) as well as tons of digital pictures of your bike, wife, mistress, kids or dog you might want to share with family and friends (old or new ones you meet anywhere in the world) on it's picture viewer (great ice breaker). Basically, it's just a super-enjoyable product!

It does NOT have XM radio, does NOT have "routes," and is not AS ultra-motorcycle-friendly like the Zumo which is why I'm using it everywhere besides my bike/bike trips. And lastly my wife's ex just had enough sense to buy one, and that guy's a COMPLETE idiot, so how's that for some sterling testimonial? :wink:

Here's a few independent reviews (note the latter two have given the Nuvi 660 their Editor's Choice Award!). Right now the Nuvi 660 is the hottest GPS being sold, and for good reason. Best of luck and have fun!

GPS Lodge Review
http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/007791.php

PC Magazine Review
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,20 ... X1K0000530

GPS Magazine Review
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2006/10/garm ... eview.html

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
johnjmcorp said:
... this will also bring the GPS route commands as well as the cell phone functions into the driver's headset for hands free operation ...
This is an important distinction - the J&M kit integrates the devices (GPS/Cellphone/Radar Detector) into the driver's headset only and doesn't connect them to the bikes electronics.

This is not a knock, just clarification for product comparison purposes. In addition, the headset connection (bike/phone) has to be manipulated with the rocker/pushbutton switch assembly shown.

(This is for the people who ask me what the differences are between the units)

mbresso said:
... my wife's ex just had enough sense to buy one, and that guy's a COMPLETE idiot, so how's that for some sterling testimonial?
Let's see.... a COMPLETE idiot just bought this unit and you want me to consider that a ringing endorsement?

Sorry, not happening... ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Jon said:
mbresso said:
... my wife's ex just had enough sense to buy one, and that guy's a COMPLETE idiot, so how's that for some sterling testimonial?
Let's see.... a COMPLETE idiot just bought this unit and you want me to consider that a ringing endorsement?

Sorry, not happening... ;)
Ha ha -- Mea culpa! On second read I see what you mean. What I meant to say was that this is such a wonderful product in every way that this fact could be EASILY discerned even by the aged, OR uh, infirm. Obviously I must be closer to being immersed in both categories myself.
:wink:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
johnjmcorp said:
you can also use the J&M CFRG units with the CFRG-BT01 J&M built bluetooth adapter ,,,,, ((( http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp ... =CFRG-BT01 ))))),,,,,,,,, ((( http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp ... =CFRG-GL18 )))

in this bluetoth adpater, we made sure that the mike signal levels going into the cell phone were at the correct level for hands free speech at high speeds ,,,,

this will also bring the GPS route commands as well as the cell phone functions into the driver's headset for hands free operation ,,,,,, when linked to the Garmin 2820, Zumo and the TomTom rider GPS units ,,,,

works really well ,,,,,,,,
John,

Am I correct to assume that I just unplug my current cell phone cord on my CFRG-GL18 and plug in your CFRG-BT01 bluetooth unit?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Jon said:
johnjmcorp said:
... this will also bring the GPS route commands as well as the cell phone functions into the driver's headset for hands free operation ...
This is an important distinction - the J&M kit integrates the devices (GPS/Cellphone/Radar Detector) into the driver's headset only and doesn't connect them to the bikes electronics.

This is not a knock, just clarification for product comparison purposes. In addition, the headset connection (bike/phone) has to be manipulated with the rocker/pushbutton switch assembly shown.

(This is for the people who ask me what the differences are between the units)
The J&M unit (because it operates directly with the drivers headset) does not require the Honda intercom to be on in order to operate. Any audio device connected to the J&M unit will only be available to the Driver and not the passengar.

I prefer this setup as I don't have to have the Honda intercom on (and listen to various noises associated with the intercom) when I am 1up. When 2up my wife doesn't have to listen to the radar detector going off and she can not participate in any cell phone conversations, (still not sure if that is good or bad :wink: ).

The other advantage (disadvantage?) is when the cell phone is fully activated by the J&M rocker switch all other audio is cutoff to your headset so your cell phone conversation will not be interupted by your GPS/Intercom/CB/etc...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Paul ,,,,,,

that is correct ,,,,,

by isolating the driver's headset during the cell phone conversation, whether the phone is connected by wire or bluetooth, you won't introduce noises from the stock Honda system etc ,,,,, that is the problem "I" have with those products that use the Honda Intercom for all of this integration stuff ,,,,,

BUT ,,,, when using the J&M CFRG units ,,, while on the phone, "IF" the radar detector goes off, OR the GPS emits any route commands ,,, they will be heard just momentarially in the Driver's right headset speaker while the phone conversation is continuing in the left helmet speaker ,,, that way you don't miss a thing ,,,,,

same thing happens when the driver's headset is return connected to the normal audio system ,,,, cell phone ringing, radar beeps, braps ,,, GPS commnads etc are all heard momentarialy in the right headset speaker, so as to not interupt intercom conversations with your passenger ,,,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts