GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a Garmin 2610 for years and it has finally quit working. Which GPS can I get that I can download my routes from the computer to the GPS.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The Zumo series can do that. Garmin provides software called Mapsource that allows you to creates routes and download them in the Garmin or upload into the computer.. If you have a Mac, then other programs (Bootcamp or Roadtrip) allow you to do that.

Or, you can download waypoints from Google Maps, Bing Maps, or Yahoo maps and then create a route from within the Garmin itself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott,

I am familiar with mapsource, that is what was with the 2610. Does any of the Nuvi's use mapsource?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks Scott,

I am familiar with mapsource. That is what was with the 2610. Does any of the Nuvi's use mapsource?
I know the Nuvi 750 and 855 use Mapsource, but not sure what others. You should be able to research on the Garmin website to determine which models you can transfer files on.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I have a Nuvi 1490t and can use the MapSource (6.16.3) that came with my 2610, for most functions.

I haven't tried every thing but can down load (to GPS) routes and waypoints and upload tracks. The routes have to be run through the conversion utility on the 1490, before use though.

What can not be downloaded are the maps. The 1490 has newer versions of the maps than available on my Mapsource so that is not a problem.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
All GARMINS can use MAPSOURCE, but not all GARMINS can create and/or use routes. They will all download waypoints or POI's, but that's about it for some models. You need to got to GARMIN's website and find out which units can use "routes". I'm in the proces of negotiating a purchase of a used NUVi off CRAIGSLIST from a local guy, and I have to be sure it can handle routes. Other things that you can find out about is Bluetooth, MP3, FM transmitting, and other features too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I have a 1490T also. I called Garmin and talked to them and found out I could transfer files from mapsource to the 1490T. I bought the lifetime maps for $89.99 which gave me the updated mapsource. It seems to be doing what I wanted it to do now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts