GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with the Street Pilot 2820 or Zuno 550 GPS from Garmin? These are "new" models- per the Garmin web site, and the only 2 GPS units they make that Garmin says are WATER PROOF. I've been contemplating GPS for my 1800, but have no experience with them. Any input would be appreciated, even with older model Garmins. From what I can gather by reading, the Garmin GPS units are suppose to be the best?! ANyone know different? How about mounting options, wiring options??

Chris

I

·
0 Posts
Before you drop big bucks on an overpriced Garmin, check out the Lowrance iWay500C. Then decide.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Got a Garmin 60csx! With a 1gig card it holds all the mapsets east of the Mississippi! Waterproof and reliable!

Garmins builds very reliable gear and they support it very well!

Might try the 2820 next just for the traffic alert system!

Don't need XM because I've got an I-pod in the left fairing pocket!

G

·
0 Posts
motorpsycho said:
Anybody have any experience with the Street Pilot 2820 or Zuno 550 GPS from Garmin? These are "new" models- per the Garmin web site, and the only 2 GPS units they make that Garmin says are WATER PROOF. I've been contemplating GPS for my 1800, but have no experience with them. Any input would be appreciated, even with older model Garmins. From what I can gather by reading, the Garmin GPS units are suppose to be the best?! ANyone know different? How about mounting options, wiring options??
Chris
Most Garmin units have an IPX-7 water resistance rating. This is the ability to withstand submersion in water at a depth of one meter for 30 minutes. The 2820 and Zuno are not unique in that regard. Full waterproofness (for continuous submerged use) is IPX-8, which I believe none of the Garmin units have.

So if you are basing your decision in part on waterproofness rating, you can choose nearly any Garmin unit. My GPS-III+, GPS-V, and 2610 have all been in heavy rains many times for many hours with no problems.

These guys make a wide range of products to connect music, telephone, and GPS devices to your bike.
http://www.cellset.com/Motorcycleitems.html

·
Registered
547 Posts
Try to decide what you want the GPS to do for you, and buy one that has the features you want. When I bought my 2610, I wasn't sure if I'd need all the features it has, but within a short time, I was using them all. I couldn't step down now to a lesser unit.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Garmin 276C

Been using this model for approx 2 yrs with no problems. Been soaked numerous times and keeps on ticking. Nice screen size and sunlight does not seem to have much effect on the screen glare. It bounces around with me at work also and has taken some pretty hard hits from falling off the dash or seat onto the mounted equipment inside. Has all the features I need and am well satisfied. If it quit today, I would purchase the same based on my experience.
Good luck in your search.

DEPUTY DAWG :cop2:
05 DARK GREY C.E.A.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts