GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchace one and need your opinion . Which one for the money . I don't need the best money can buy because i don't have it to spend . Just wondering whats a good purchace !

·
Registered
17,144 Posts
IF you also are going to purchase MP3 player and XM; then the combined and expensive Garmin 2370 may not be as cost ineffective. IF you don't care a twit about such extras and just need reliable tracking, routing, speed, altimeter, etc, etc, etc, and really don't want to have the bitchy woman calling your shots (the GPS lady that is), then the Garmin eTrex Vista is wonderful and also stellar as a hiker's hand held unit. If you want even less dodads for less money teh eTrex Legeond may fit the bill. Go to one of teh bigger show case online stores and browse -- Amazon usually has a good selection and somtimes the best price -- a slightly used unit may give you that value you need and more of the performance for which you yearn.

prs

·
Registered
13 Posts
SPIII

HI,

I have had a Garmin Street Pilot III for about 5 years and it has never missed a beat. I have it mounted, via a RAM mount, on the left lever mount. It is color, does turn by turn and is waterproof. You can get them, refurbished, on EABY for about $250. I really like mine and since the 'wing has audio, I don't miss the MP3 player.... Jeff

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
My first one was a Garmin GPS V. Worked and did the job. Next was a Garmin StreetPilot III. Worked and did the job. Then came a Garmin StreetPilot 2610. Worked a lot better and did even more. Currently have a Garmin StreetPilot 2730 with weather, XM, etc. Works good and does even more.

I was happy with the Garmin products until I rode with Jon and his Lawrence. Bigger screen, lot easier to see, does not wash out in the sun, and just flat user friendly. I could not even see mine while sitting on the bike, but could see his ten feet away. My next one will be the Iway, but there are choices.

Dollar for dollar, that old smaller bulletproof GPS V was very good. No color, small screen, but you wrote a little check.

·
Registered
35 Posts
IFLY

BUY.COM has the Garmin 2720 on sale for 499 including shipping. That's about the cheapest on these that has a good rating, and pays the shipping. I personally think this is a good one. I've had mine for about six months, and it works great.

Ron

·
Registered
638 Posts
Garmin now has three models designed for a motorcycle: the Zumo 450, 500 and 550. The 450 is the cheapest and starts shipping in March. Check them out at Garmin's web site.

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
this is a nice simple GPS, plenty of motorcycle mounting hardware available and its waterproof

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... caid=17654

if i didn't already have a different model i would get the 2720

might b able to get walmart online to price match, not sure if it's true but i here they have a simple exchange policy if the unit gives u trouble under warranty

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've got a garmin quest, small, 20 hrs on batteries when not hooked up to a 12v source, fits in a shirt pocket. Not the biggest screen but does the job for me.

G

·
All of the 26xx / 27xx series Garmins are ancient tech and do not come close to the features and mapping of the new crop of automotive class, street level, GPS navigation receivers. No offense to you users of those units. If you are happy, that is all that matters. They are sure better than nothing, but you have no clue as to what the new units can do.

I have a good friend who is a very experienced private pilot, instrument rated, and a licensed FAA instructor as well. He used Garmin GPS units for a number of years, and finally went to Lowrance. Better for more reasons than there is space here to list.

IMHO...Take a hard look at the Lowrance iWay series for your bike, iWay350, iWay500, and iWay 600, before you spend your money on a unit that was obsolete 2 years ago.

Whatever you choose, just be sure it is waterproof and motorcycle use rated. Screen visibility is also a major factor. If you can't read the screen in direct sunlight, what good is it? Many automobile units are fine for use in a car, but they are intended to be used inside a car, and are not readable in bright light, and are not waterproof or vibration hardened.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wait, don't buy

Guys,
Before you buy any new GPS, go to this website. I just got my new NUVI 660 and the difference between it and the older units is astounding. I don't mean the MP3 player or any of the other dodads. I mean the difference between the SiRF chipset and the antique WAAS system. I got solid satelite lock in places the old WAAS sytems couldn't even see the satelites. Don't waste your money on the old systems. They are reducing the prices for a reason, they are way behind in technology. Before you sign the check, go to this site and read the reports. You won't regret it..... http://www.gpsmagazine.com/buyers_guide ... _avoid.php
Jeff :roll:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Not only a good but a GREAT purchase would be any discontinued or refurbished 26xx or 27xx series GPS units from Garmin. Fast becoming mid-level technology but the prices are WAY down.

I have a Zumo now because I "needed" an upgrade -- but it costs a bit of coinage. You don't need all it has to offer (lots of extraneous do-dads: XM, bluetooth, text to speech, MP3, SIRF-III receiver....); you can spend under $500 and still get a premier unit that get you to your destination as competently as the Zumo, Iway or any other newer model units.

Also, if you ever run across one of Garmin's venerable old StreetPilot III (many of us on the board like myself still have theirs), it's an absolute classic and solid performer (although it's old technology and not quick to recalculate). BUY IT! I'd offer mine for sale, but it is STILL such a great GPS. It just sits in my drawer collecting dust and tears..... Plus I paid $675 for it in '03 and think it's dumb to part with it for $300 when it works the same way it did 4 years ago - that is, perfectly.

As another angle, lots of people are upgrading to new models after 2 or 3 years. I'd bet that a lot of people have older models for sale at great prices. And you can normally trust your fellow motorcyclists on this (your own) board.

Anyway, best of luck. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
IBTrike said:
All of the 26xx / 27xx series Garmins are ancient tech and do not come close to the features and mapping of the new crop of automotive class, street level, GPS navigation receivers. No offense to you users of those units. If you are happy, that is all that matters. They are sure better than nothing, but you have no clue as to what the new units can do.

I have a good friend who is a very experienced private pilot, instrument rated, and a licensed FAA instructor as well. He used Garmin GPS units for a number of years, and finally went to Lowrance. Better for more reasons than there is space here to list.

IMHO...Take a hard look at the Lowrance iWay series for your bike, iWay350, iWay500, and iWay 600, before you spend your money on a unit that was obsolete 2 years ago.

Whatever you choose, just be sure it is waterproof and motorcycle use rated. Screen visibility is also a major factor. If you can't read the screen in direct sunlight, what good is it? Many automobile units are fine for use in a car, but they are intended to be used inside a car, and are not readable in bright light, and are not waterproof or vibration hardened.

Ride safe.
No offense taken...Old tech, well maybe...However, I do have a clue.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
IBTrike wrote

Well, I am a experienced Commercial Pilot, Instrument rated, FAA approved Flight Instructor and Ground Instructor, and do have a clue. If I read the original post right, major consideration is cost. All this ancient tech comes at a much lower price that cutting edge first-on-the-block WOW factor GPSs available. Second, if you can't read it in direct sunlight, put a shade over it. Motorcycle approved? That only leaves one Garmin, and who approved it? Garmin? And those obsolete units still tell you where you are. And that is what its all about.

Just a quick glance at ebay and I see Garmin GPS Vs sold for $120 range, the Streetpilot III for $160 range, a 2610 for $200-$274, a 2730 for $400 to $550, and the Iways for $200-$400. This compares to the Zumo for the $700 area. So, let your wallet be your guide. They all will get the job done. And NONE are FAA approved for a Cat II approach in 0/0 conditions.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
That website article is full of crap. I had the Zumo with its' high-tech, leading edge SiRF receiver fail to pick up a signal in downtown Seattle while my old POS iWay had a lock in about 2 blocks.

People don't realize that WAAS reception may actually decrease your satellite sensitivity, especially if you're further north or in limited-visibility areas.

I'll take a waterproof, 12 channel WAAS-enabled unit over a non-waterproof, non-visibile Nuvi or c-class unit on a motorcycle anyday.

BTW, John - it sounds like you haven't used any of the newer Garmin units - they have features that the iWay will probably never have. It helps to keep an open mind...

·
Registered
203 Posts
something you have to watch out for is the older discontinued models they will quit supporting soon. I traded a GPS90 & boot to a friend for a GPS196 several years ago. He went to update the maps in the 90 a year or so later and Garmin had quit supporting it. Something to think about.
Richard

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Check this comparison link
http://gpsinformation.us/joe/gpscompare ... mpare.html

I have a couple of 2610's and they worked great until I had to send both units into Garmin for exchanges when the touch screen and alpha numeric screens went hay wire. Fortunately Garmin is in my home town so exchanges only took a few days. Garmin is good to work with. One potential problem with the 2620 is the hard drive which doesn't like a lot of vibration. However, on the Wing I think it is OK.

The 2610 is great if you don't need XM, city traffic, or weather info. I believe it first came out in 97 and was one of the first touch screen units. It was so popular that they had to bring it back into production. I do believe it is now out of production, also the pricing is coming down. My average price was around $380
:)

I guess that first sentence is a piece of contradiction. I rewrote it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts