GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fred H had posted some info on the glass bottomed overlook. Did it ever open? Anyone have any info? Google doesn't have any new news, except that it was delayed, but opening before years end. We're planning a June trip to northern AZ and Vegas, and would like to find this place. TIA

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
EVERYTHING, I could find on Google, Ask.com all say "end of 2006" or opening in the fourth quarter of 2006,

no specific opening date.

I did find out that there will be a $25 charge to walk out on the skyway

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I rode there with a group just a few weeks ago and there was no new info available in the park itself on the opening of this thing. Isn't located on the north rim? If so, make a note of that because different route to the north side, and a lengthy ride to get there if you end up on the south rim instead.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Looks like the skywalk is located on the "West Rim" of the Canyon. Really on the south side, west of the Grand Canyon National Park. Interesting video on the contruction of the skywalk on this site as well.

http://www.grandcanyonskywalk.com/update.html

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
gezzz, I'm sitting here looking at that thing and you don't realize how massive that is till you look at the 12' ladder in the upper right hand corner?

yikes!!!!!!

I'm going to go out on an engineering limb here and guess the anchor bolts will be bigger than a ¼-20 X 4" toggle bolt :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
J-mac said:
gezzz, I'm sitting here looking at that thing and you don't realize how massive that is till you look at the 12' ladder in the upper right hand corner?

yikes!!!!!!
Or the welding machine in the lower left...

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
we will be there in a rental car, dec 8-9

i wouldnt walk over the edge even for free

ill give a full report then

we took a chopper ride from veags about 5 years ago

landed at the bottom of the canyon, and had a picnic

that was thrill enough

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or the guy, lower right? Loren, I've done that picnic 3 times and love it, but this thing says that if you fall off.....it's 52 seconds to the bottom! They say it can hold a bunch of jumbo jets, but I'll bet that some people "crawl" back to solid land. Looks like a good place for some to lose their lunch

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Since this is a new model , I will wait to see how it functions for a couple of years.

8)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
Since this is a new model , I will wait to see how it functions for a couple of years.

8)
Probably has a crack in it somewhere and wobbles when you walk on it :oops: and I'll stop this right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts