GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going from Ohio to Colorado, Utah, Brice canyon, and Grand Canyon the last week of May and 1st week of June. Anyone with experience at that time of year out there. Any comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kinda depending on what kind of winteer we have, there still may be snow at the higher altitudes, like the top of Bryce Canyon and the north rim of Grand Canyn. At any rate, it'll be cold at night above 4-5000ft, so if you're camping, be prepared, and early mornings are cold too. Expect about any kind of weather, but the trip is worth it. I live in Idaho at 4500'and am well acquainted with the weather in the Intermountain area. Watch the weather channel if possible, and inquire locally about snow, etc. Raods are all really good, but if they're wet they may be icy in the morning. Don't forget the Grand Staircase ride on U12 from Escalante to Torrey UT. Unforgettable! Email me if you want more info. Don

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Check out the link in my signature box and review some of my suggestions for riding through Colorado and Utah -- might be useful to you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My brother and I just made that trip in July and August.

We had exceptional weather and a great time.

Make your reservation for Zion Lodge now and the same for Bryce and the Grand Canyon.

Do yourself a favor and stay on the North rim of the canyon rather than the more accessable touristy South rim, you'll also be closer to Bryce.

Don't miss the Arches NP and Canyon Lands in southeast UT, take RT 6 off of I-70 to Moab along the Colorado River, you'll be glad you did.

You will be making the trip in prime vacation time, something we tried to avoid, the crowds.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Re: the Grand Canyon......the North Rim is much more remote and less visited than the South Rim but:

1) North Rim doesn't have the variety of vista's of the South.

2) It takes a long time to get there and you must exit as you entered - there is only one road.

3) Entering the South Rim from the East (from Cameron/Grey Mountain) you parallel the Little Colorado River. It is possible to pull off the road (2-lane blacktop) and gaze right down into giant canyons. Very interesting.

4) Whichever rim you visit be sure to stop by Lake Powell and Glen Canyon Dam. Prettiest lake in the world.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did the trip to the GC in September of 04 and the weather was great. You can read about my trip on my web page.

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
446 Posts
My wife and I did this trip last May (2006) . . . . . .

We left home here in Washington state on the 10th of May. Had a beautiful ride straight south through Oregon and Nevada. Camped at the KOA in Williams, . . . then camped in Zion Canyon. The weather was perfect!! Not too hot or not too cold. AND the summer traffic had not started yet so we were able to see anything we wanted to without hassle. I definitely recommend this time of year for that area of our great land. :D :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you have the time, take a ride to Sedona, Az. Really a nice scenic ride. Also you might want to look into the Grand Canyou Railroad out of Williams, Az. The railroad has the advantage of not dealing with all the traffic and being able to really see some neat scenery while taking a break on your trip. Have fun. George

·
Registered
260 Posts
My first advise would be to look at Dave's trips for good routes through Colorado. Great job Dave and thanks again for helping us with our trip last June.

Second, buy a Park Pass at the first National Park you come to. I did not know about them until we got to the Grand Canyon. The lady working the North gate ask us if we were planning on seeing more parks and told us about the Pass. After the second Park we came to, the pass was paid for. We saw several after that.

If you are going to the North Rim and want a great place to stay and see, look at stopping at Page, AZ. Glenn Canyon Dam at Lake Powell is at Page. Great place to stay before heading off to Utah. We kept our room in Page for a day trip down to the North Rim and back. We left some extra luggage behind for one day. :D

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you stay at the lodge in Bryce Canyon, be sure to try the prime rib at the lodge dining room. Last time I ate there (10 years), it was excellent, but we needed a reservation.I always enjoyed Oak Creek Canyon below Flagstaff, but I think I read where they had some fires this season.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
The fires at Oak Creek were mostly up on top of the canyon and in adjacent canyons. I don't you'd see the burned areas from the road (which is on the canyon bottom).

I imagine the Jeep tours in Sedona will take you up the forest roads if you really want to see what happened.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went to the Grand Canyon last May around the middle of the month and it was absolutely beautiful but cools right down at night......around 80-85 days but a cool 45 in the morning till the sun clears the mountains. Go before the end of May, as the summer throngs start showing up after then and clog up the whole place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts