GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend and I are on our way home from the Texas Hill Country Ride and we spend the night in Fort Sumner, NM. The next morning we are heading NW on hwy 84 and we find ourselves gaining on another Wing rider. He comes on the CB and introduces himself and then starts an interesting conversation about Goldwings specifically the 1800. He is telling us that he has had his Wing up to 150 mph. Now I have owned 2 1800's and my friend is on his fourth. The most I've been able to see is about 127 GPS and that was on level road at 1200 foot of elevation. My friend is challenging his claim in a very polite way, but then the guy comes back with how his buddy took the Grandpa Governor off of his Wing and it would easily do 175 mph. My friend and I had several chuckles about this for the rest of the ride back. Now we all know there is no truth to any of this, although this story is 100% true, but........................................just in case, where is this durn Grandpa Governor located? I need to get it out of there!!! :)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Reprogram the ECM.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It is that oblong metal fitting with the two nuts on the studs right side of photo.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
At 175 mph the Goldwing engine would be turning about 7,500 rpm's. I'm not sure that the stock engine (reprogrammed ECM or not) could do that under any circumstances and have any HP.

I had a CBR 1000rr. It would do 175 but it had almost 175 HP and weighed about 500 pounds.

I'm callin BS on this....

Jeff...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is that oblong metal fitting with the two nuts on the studs right side of photo.

HaHa, not according to the guy. He said it was an extra set of butterfly's in the throttle body. :)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Most are unaware of that little piece of metal, it is the Harmonics Accelerator. It senses the rotation of the drive shaft and when you hit 150 mph, the magnetic flux from this Accelerator provides the extra thrust and power to obtain 175 mph. ;)

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Most are unaware of that little piece of metal, it is the Harmonics Accelerator. It senses the rotation of the drive shaft and when you hit 150 mph, the magnetic flux from this Accelerator provides the extra thrust and power to obtain 175 mph. ;)
It works together with the 'dual-quad muffler bearing'.:coffee1:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
It works together with the 'dual-quad muffler bearing'.:coffee1:

Both great explanations!

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
54 Posts
relatively easy mod

Eliminating the Grandpa Governor is a relatively easy job, however, it does take patience and a steady hand. It was engineered in to allow using lower Octane gas, ie. 87-octane and ethanol blend.
PROCEDURE:
Using a small Teflon mallet and a #00 drift pin punch, gently tap out the Finnigan Pin. This will release the Phenopoly Rod for full travel. With the rod released, gently tap the Finnigan Pin back in using the Teflon mallet. You will now see the rod on the opposite side of the pin.
If you do this mod, be sure to use 91 octane gas to avoid the possibility of high-rev detonation.
Good Luck
WINGZ
:22yikes::22yikes::22yikes::22yikes:

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Actually, there is a speed limiter function built into the ECM. You can have it raised when you have your ECM reflashed if you want to. However, I'd urge caution here, because even if you could get the bike up to those kinds of speeds, the aerodynamics of it has not been tested at those limits. It could develop a high speed wobble that could get ugly real fast.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Actually, there is a speed limiter function built into the ECM. You can have it raised when you have your ECM reflashed if you want to. However, I'd urge caution here, because even if you could get the bike up to those kinds of speeds, the aerodynamics of it has not been tested at those limits. It could develop a high speed wobble that could get ugly real fast.
Like instantainously!!!!:22yikes:

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
HaHa, not according to the guy. He said it was an extra set of butterfly's in the throttle body. :)
By the way, just for the record, there is only one set of butterflies in the throttle body.

Sounds to me like someone got the GL1800 confused with some Kawasaki models, which do actually use a second set of butterflies which are computer controlled and do reduce low end throttle response and engine torque. The ZX-14 and Concours both have them. But there aren't any on the GL1800.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
After seeing some of these wing riders at some food functions I firmly believe the only way their wings would hit 125mph is if the Titanic was pulling it down a mineshaft.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Before trying any high speed test be sure to put an extra can of ZDDP in the engine and used a polished high speed crush washer.
Good luck going fast. I ain't gonna do it!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
A Goldwing. Would not do 150 mph if you dropped it down an empty mine shaft. That's a good one. :joke:

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
A Goldwing. Would not do 150 mph if you dropped it down an empty mine shaft. That's a good one. :joke:
With additional force applied while launching down said mine shaft, it would be possible to exceed 150MPH.

Aiming said Goldwing under launch conditions down that mine shaft may well be the challenge.

I look forward to the video of this. :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
With additional force applied while launching down said mine shaft, it would be possible to exceed 150MPH.

Aiming said Goldwing under launch conditions down that mine shaft may well be the challenge.

I look forward to the video of this. :shock: :lol:
My head is spinning.....

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Pretty funny.

For the record (if you could get it there) at redline (6,000 RPM) in 5th the 1800 would be doing 145 mph in 5th and 118 in 4th, but max HP is at 5500, where it would be sitting on about 133 mph. Hey, ain't that about where the Grampa Governor is set?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts