GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be installing new roller bearings and noticed there is a very light film of grease/oil already on the All-balls roller bearings. Was going to pack 'em with grease, didn't really think I needed high-speed high-temp for the steering:grin2:

Just slather some good 'ole grease right from the tube and quit overthinking it?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I use BelRay waterproof grease for most bearings... Would seem to be a good fit for steering head bearings...

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
For the 5th gens, after seeing Honda changed their recommendations in a later Service Manual (2012-15), and then changed back in their finally printing of the same manual (2012-17), I started using what they had changed too ... MolyKote BR2. I found I like it more than everything else and am still currently using it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
...Was going to pack 'em with grease, didn't really think I needed high-speed high-temp for the steering:grin2:

You only need High-Speed Grease if you commute via the Autobahn; keeps it from flinging off, into your teeth.

Reactions: Bullet Bob

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
I'm going to be installing new roller bearings and noticed there is a very light film of grease/oil already on the All-balls roller bearings. Was going to pack 'em with grease, didn't really think I needed high-speed high-temp for the steering:grin2:

Just slather some good 'ole grease right from the tube and quit overthinking it?
Honda thinks that this is what to use:

Urea based multi-purpose grease with extreme pressure agent
(Example: Excelite EP2 manufactured by Kyodo Yushi, Japan/Shell Stamina EP2 or equivalent)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
These bearings take very high, almost static, loads so a high pressure lubricant would make sense and I'd have no hesitation using CV joint grease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts