GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing all my brake pads and don't have silicone but do have white lithium. Is lithium okay to use?

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Get brake parts grease. Only put it where the manual says to put it.

prs

Reactions: jm21ddd15

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is kind of a scary question to me. I see its posted twice and answered well here. Lithium / white grease is good for hinges and latches and other low use areas. I'd be afraid lithium would melt and end up all over your pads and tires if it was used on brakes.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is kind of a scary question to me. I see its posted twice and answered well here. Lithium / white grease is good for hinges and latches and other low use areas. I'd be afraid lithium would melt and end up all over your pads and tires if it was used on brakes.
Mike I sure hope not! I already put lithium on my rear brakes before I got answers but put silicone brake grease on the front. Now I'm wondering how to remove it on the rear w/o taking it apart. Maybe spray some brake cleaner if I can pry it apart just enough?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
BigTee, how much grease did you put on the rear? The pads only require enough to produce a moist appearance to the pads backing plate surface, more than that is a waste. I doubt that minute amount will melt or migrate. If you laid it on thick, I'd be doing some cleaning. Good luck and ride safe.

Reactions: Big Tee

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Silicone and lithium greases may be selected for their chemical compatibilities with components such as rubber o-rings, seals and whatever.

I’m not saying that is the case here but just saying it’s another consideration besides the other characteristics previously discussed.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
You are so right . Very veey scary No grease or silicone needed. It has been a while since I had been riding the wing a lot. If your pads got any amount of grease on them they are junk. They will soak it up and cans of brake cleaner will just keep bleeding grease all over the place so I would recommend to remove the pads and put them in the hot sun and and hit them with brake cleaner wiping the down a few times. If they keep bleeding grease junk them. Because when you install them.in your bike and redhead them with heavy stopping you will release more grease on your rotors and have a stopping problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts