1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOSE THE V AT THE FRONT OF THE LINK ! :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Interesting read.

Brobdingnagian: adj. 1. of huge size; gigantic; tremendous. -n 2. an inhabitant of Brobdingnag. 3. a being of tremendous size; a giant.

Brobdingnag: n. The region in Swift's Gulliver's Travels where everything was of enormous size.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Sound slike they needed to stay in Japan a little longer on the welding course. Nice article, Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, I guess the crash course left a little to be desired, but I will bet that it was the most complex frame most anyone had ever worked on.

G

·
0 Posts
I am anxious to see what the next re-design of the wing is going to be.
I bet the engine will be at least 2,000 cc's. It will be trade up time. :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bike has a hell of a lot of power, they just need to add a sixth gear and spread it out between 3-6. If you want you can pick the front of the ground in second gear, and I have gotten air in 3rd gear. It will do anything you have the balls to do with it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Dane Espenschied (Assistant Vice President and Plant Manager at MMP) comments,“We believe the Gold Wing customers’ expectations exceed those of a luxury car buyer.”
If he would visited this site and read some of the posts, He would know for sure, not just believe, that "Gold Wing customers’ expectations exceed those of a luxury car buyer.”

High Expectations = HIGH $$$

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Bloodstone05 said:
the bike has a hell of a lot of power, they just need to add a sixth gear and spread it out between 3-6. If you want you can pick the front of the ground in second gear, and I have gotten air in 3rd gear. It will do anything you have the balls to do with it.
For a big touring bike it really does. I like that. You really have to be ready if you're gonna crank on it in first and second. Under full throttle it'll spin the tire in either gear. If you speed shift 1st to 2nd it will definitely pull the front wheel off the ground involuntarily. LIKE I SAID; I LIKE THAT!! I LIKE IT A LOT!! T. 8) :yes: :wink:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
If you speed shift 1st to 2nd it will definitely pull the front wheel off the ground involuntarily.
I would like to see that. I have done full throttle power shifts numerous times with this bike and it has never come close to pulling the front wheel off the ground after a shift, even if I try to pull it up.

This bike is quick for a touring bike, but it isn't that quick. With the long wheel base and the big forward mounted engine, it would need a heckuva lot more torque to get that much leverage and start pulling wheelies "involuntarily". I once had the front wheel come up on me launching from a dead stop, but it only came up a couple of inches, and even with that it took a near perfect launch for it to happen.

I have seen the videos of maniacs pulling wheelies with the Wing. They are in first gear and pulling real hard to get the bike to come up, and they are having a hard time even with that.

There are numerous cars out there that will beat the Wing in 0-60 and quarter mile. Even little s$$tbox eco cars with 4 banger engines get more torque and HP out of a 1.8 liter engine.

This bike has a lot of fun factor built into it for an "old man's bike", but lets not get carried away. It isn't that impressive performance wise. They were building cruisers 25 years ago that were faster.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
LarryM said:
This bike has a lot of fun factor built into it for an "old man's bike", but lets not get carried away. It isn't that impressive performance wise. They were building cruisers 25 years ago that were faster.
Larry, Larry, Larry! Tsk Tsk Tsk. C'mon, now. Easy.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
LarryM said:
If you speed shift 1st to 2nd it will definitely pull the front wheel off the ground involuntarily.
I would like to see that. I have done full throttle power shifts numerous times with this bike and it has never come close to pulling the front wheel off the ground after a shift, even if I try to pull it up.

This bike is quick for a touring bike, but it isn't that quick. With the long wheel base and the big forward mounted engine, it would need a heckuva lot more torque to get that much leverage and start pulling wheelies "involuntarily". I once had the front wheel come up on me launching from a dead stop, but it only came up a couple of inches, and even with that it took a near perfect launch for it to happen.

I have seen the videos of maniacs pulling wheelies with the Wing. They are in first gear and pulling real hard to get the bike to come up, and they are having a hard time even with that.

There are numerous cars out there that will beat the Wing in 0-60 and quarter mile. Even little s$$tbox eco cars with 4 banger engines get more torque and HP out of a 1.8 liter engine.

Hey larry,
you obviously know nothing about riding bikes or automotive performance. It will do indeed do that and nothing short of a Z06 or a Viper can hang with it 0 to 60 or the 1/4 mile. This forum is for opinions and info but you are a complete dumbass who should keep your misinformation to yourself. :twisted:

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Sometime ago I allowed emotion to overcome common sense and experience and pulled a wheelie on the road. Good thing I was so surprised that I didn't do anything stupid like shut it down but was able to ease it back down.

As for my fellow Larry M I have had s few of the so called hopped up cars try to run me, and so far only the Z06 has smoked me to the speed limit. Top end almost any car that is capable of speed will leave us in the straightaway. In fact there was a some kind of pickup on I-75 a month ago that I just couldn't keep up with all the way to the stop.

·
Registered
345 Posts
LarryM, hey dude the front end will come up off the ground quite easily when shifting from 1st to second under full throttle. Done it numerous times. I remember onetime in particluar when I was racing a couple of young dudes riding sport bikes. We came off the line and I put it on them to about 60 then they started to leave me behind. When I shifted to 2nd that damn front end came way up and caught me by surprise. :shock: When we stop at the next light both of the dudes gave me thumbs up and said they couldn't believe such a big bike could do a wheelie in 2nd. I made believer out of em that day. Wish I could have gotten them on some twisties. It would have been interesting. They would have probably out ran me but I sure would have given them a run for their money.

GaryO :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
After noting that the Beemer went to 4 valves per cylinder, maybe the Goldwing will get the same treatment next time around.

By the way, the article does confirm that Mother Honda does care (flame suit on).

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I see Trialsman pulling his front wheel off the ground with much ease. If are unable to get yours off the ground, then you either are not shifting correctly or something is wrong with your bike. In regards to beating other vehicles, I have not had one car be able to get me from a dead stop up to highway speeds. There comes a time when the law of physics comes into play.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
you obviously know nothing about riding bikes or automotive performance. It will do indeed do that and nothing short of a Z06 or a Viper can hang with it 0 to 60 or the 1/4 mile. This forum is for opinions and info but you are a complete dumbass who should keep your misinformation to yourself
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hmmm! You're the one pulling unintentional wheelies with a Goldwing and I"M the dumbass? Yeah right. You go with that.

Amazing how violent some people get when you tell them their bike isn't as fast as they think it is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Toyo said:
I see Trialsman pulling his front wheel off the ground with much ease. If are unable to get yours off the ground, then you either are not shifting correctly or something is wrong with your bike. In regards to beating other vehicles, I have not had one car be able to get me from a dead stop up to highway speeds. There comes a time when the law of physics comes into play.
Toyo, I understand what you are saying. I have pulled my tire off the ground too, but I was trying to do it.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
A wheelie on is a Wing is everyday...I do it on my trike even...and I beat EVERY car at every light...the most annoyed was the Nissan Z last night... he did not realize...why do people get so testy about things? Sheesh, I beat most cars in my little Vulcan...

oh, thanks for the link to the article!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts