GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Love the new DCT tour and impressed with braking capabilities however at 23000 miles I replaced the pads and was disappointed in cost for replacement. I realized I was almost exclusively using the brakes for slowing down and stopping. Consequently the pads didn't last as long as I had hoped. I now conscientiously try to downshift when approaching intersections or approaching other stops. The downshifts are smooth and I am not overly aggressive on the downshifts. I am hopeful with this minor riding adjustment in how I slow down that the brake pads will last considerably longer. Chalk this up to operator error - nothing wrong with the brakes. They're great!

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
She is not a cheap date.

prs

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Love the new DCT tour and impressed with braking capabilities however at 23000 miles I replaced the pads and was disappointed in cost for replacement. I realized I was almost exclusively using the brakes for slowing down and stopping. Consequently the pads didn't last as long as I had hoped. I now conscientiously try to downshift when approaching intersections or approaching other stops. The downshifts are smooth and I am not overly aggressive on the downshifts. I am hopeful with this minor t adjustment in how I slow down the brake pads will last considerably longer. Chalk this up to operator error - nothing wrong with the brakes.

How far were they worn down?
I would imagine the inner pads were worn down more than the outers?:smile2:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All pads were worn down to replacement but inners were worn a bit more as I remember. It was a couple months ago. Sorry. The point I was making was that I was relying almost entirely on great brakes to do all the work because DCT is so easy to ride. The brake pads aren't cheap - now using downshifting when possible.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Love the new DCT tour and impressed with braking capabilities however at 23000 miles I replaced the pads and was disappointed in cost for replacement. I realized I was almost exclusively using the brakes for slowing down and stopping. Consequently the pads didn't last as long as I had hoped. I now conscientiously try to downshift when approaching intersections or approaching other stops. The downshifts are smooth and I am not overly aggressive on the downshifts. I am hopeful with this minor riding adjustment in how I slow down that the brake pads will last considerably longer. Chalk this up to operator error - nothing wrong with the brakes. They're great!
I remember a quote from 3 time world champion race driver Jackie Stewart. "Brake pads are a lot less expensive than transmissions."

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll use my brakes to save wear and tear on the drive train and engine.
Surprises me you would say that - prior to the DCT, when you were approaching a stop sign did you hold in the clutch lever, downshifting but never engaging the clutch (only using your brakes to stop)? Based on the preceding comments posted I am guessing that your brakes pads on previous model didn't last very long. Best way to save all wear and tear is to just park the bike and admire from 3-5 feet away. This is the first time I have had someone suggest not to downshift a motorcycle in the pursuit of slowing down. Hmmm...

·
Registered
998 Posts
prior to the DCT, when you were approaching a stop sign did you hold in the clutch lever, downshifting but never engaging the clutch (only using your brakes to stop)?
Yes. Close throttle, apply brakes, when rpm drops pull in clutch lever and down shift all gears while rolling to a stop. I use engine braking going down hill or as needed when entering a curve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts