GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Keep in mind this drive was made in our SUV, but it would be great on a bike; so remember this route if you are in the area.

The wife and I went to Denver this weekend to shop and visit the zoo. On saturday in the afternoon, we got on the interstate around 2pm and headed west on I70 for about 40 miles until we got to highway 40. We went north on that basically until we hit Craig Colorado then we hooked up on highway 13 and went north until we got to the interstate that took us east back home.

It was a very pretty drive. However, it got dark around 5pm so we werent able to see the mountains on the second half of the trip so I dont really know what was out there for scenery after the first 3 or so hours. However, after we got off I70 and started heading north, we hit lots of mountains and valleys. One in particular we zig zagged back and forth up and down it on each side in order to get over it. Here is the view from the top...

Note the road that zig zags going down the mountain and if you look realllly carefully, just up the picture from the lower road, you can see the road even on a lower level (its in the shadows on the middle left of the page). We took the SUV mainly because of the weather and Im not sure how well this road is maintained in the winter but the roads were very clear and nothing to worry about from a ice perspective.

The only downside to this is that it ended up taking us an extra 2 or so hours to get home, which wasnt totally bad but zig zagging on the mountains took us alot of extra time and mileage. I figured at one point, that while we had 130 miles on the odometer...we were about 60-70 miles from Denver as the bird flies.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
After I-70 you crossed Berthoud Pass (the zig-zags) and dropped down into Winter Park, later crossing Muddy Pass and Rabbit Ears Pass before dropping down into Steamboat Springs. Yep, some very nice country. We did an overnight trip to Steamboat in August and had a great time.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
we were on that road and a bunch of others in colorado last June and it was GREAT !

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Ziggy,
I don't think I've ever seen you post anything about actually riding. May have missed it (them). How many miles a year do you ride?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trialsman said:
Ziggy,
I don't think I've ever seen you post anything about actually riding. May have missed it (them). How many miles a year do you ride?
This is based on the fact that I usually Don't post about my riding, mainly because I don't really go anywhere that warrants writing about. I bought the bike in Vegas and I have talked about some rides in the area (on here and the rides forum), then last year I lived in southern MN which doesnt have much for scenery and I was too busy with work and wasn't making enough $$ to really get out and drive where I wanted to.

Now Im out here in Wyoming and while the area where I live doesnt offer much, Im not too far from places that have decent riding (aka the snowy Range...etc). Im a teacher so by the end of the day Im usually bushed and don't feel like riding in the cold and on the weekends, Im usually at school or doing housework. That and I feel awkward taking a ride and leaving the wife at home.

As far as the miles...I dont have that many just because I don't have the time; come summer, I should be better off and will hopefully be doing alot more riding.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
So Ziggy, you are just up the road from Colorado now. Plan to come visit Montrose July 25-29 for the get together Dave T. (wingnutzz) is putting together and see more of the great Colorado Rides. Be there or be square.

You are also within a few hours of the Black Hills of SD and Yellow Stone and the Grand Tetons. Billings is close. (out here anything is close if it is within 8 hours).

When summer comes you have some of the best riding in the country at your doorstep. You are very close to the Windrivers also. When the sun comes out dress warm and have some fun.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
ziggystyles said:
Now Im out here in Wyoming and while the area where I live doesnt offer much, Im not too far from places that have decent riding (aka the snowy Range...etc). Im a teacher so by the end of the day Im usually bushed and don't feel like riding in the cold and on the weekends, Im usually at school or doing housework. That and I feel awkward taking a ride and leaving the wife at home.
Ziggy, hopefully you can do Rockies-Gold, but you have some great riding just south of you in Colorado that is easily doable on a day ride.
For example: Down to Walden for lunch, over the mountains to Laramie, and home.

Down to Walden, over Cameron Pass, Poudre Canyon to Ft. Collins to Estes Park over Trail Ridge Road to Granby over Willow Creek Pass to Walden to home. That would be an awesome day.

Down to Walden over to US-40 over Muddy and Rabbit Ears Passes to Steamboat Springs on to Craig and then up to home.

You should have some fun for sure.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rickster said:
So Ziggy, you are just up the road from Colorado now. Plan to come visit Montrose July 25-29 for the get together Dave T. (wingnutzz) is putting together and see more of the great Colorado Rides. Be there or be square.

You are also within a few hours of the Black Hills of SD and Yellow Stone and the Grand Tetons. Billings is close. (out here anything is close if it is within 8 hours).

When summer comes you have some of the best riding in the country at your doorstep. You are very close to the Windrivers also. When the sun comes out dress warm and have some fun.
Ive been looking for more info on this...is this posted anywhere yet on here? Not sure what my summer plans are. I know Ill be in MN to take part in a wedding either in June or July or....one of those months!
We are planning on at least trying to get out to the Tetons next summer and maybe the Black Hills. Going to think about buying a national parks pass too so we can putz around at the parks.

Ziggy, hopefully you can do Rockies-Gold, but you have some great riding just south of you in Colorado that is easily doable on a day ride.
For example: Down to Walden for lunch, over the mountains to Laramie, and home.

Down to Walden, over Cameron Pass, Poudre Canyon to Ft. Collins to Estes Park over Trail Ridge Road to Granby over Willow Creek Pass to Walden to home. That would be an awesome day.

Down to Walden over to US-40 over Muddy and Rabbit Ears Passes to Steamboat Springs on to Craig and then up to home.

You should have some fun for sure
I take it that Rockies Gold is the get together you are planning, keep me up to date on that as it sounds like something Id like to do. You are right that there is some pretty good rides as long as Im pretty much not where I am right now, lol. We did go down to Saratoga and over the Snowy Range and ended up at laramie and took the interstate in Laramie. That was a few months ago but it was a great ride (although right now I cant find the pics we took).

You did mention some great rides...seem very interesting...lots to do next summer for sure.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Ziggy, here is the thread on the Rides and Trips boards about wingnutzz Colorado Gold ride in July.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=69419

Flash--- Dave has just posted the motel info on the General Forum.

I think you said you are in Rawllins? Just get a map of Wyoming out, close your eyes and pick a spot to go to and then go. Even the flatlands of Wyoming are beautiful. Just stand back and take it in. There are hills and real Mountains all through the state. Rivers with incredible fly fishing. People come from all over the world to fish, hunt, camp, hike and sight see in Wyoming. As a young'un I spent six weeks backpacking through the Windriver Wilderness area. WOW. Wide open spaces, super vistas and Montana is not the only state with the big sky. You are a lucky guy to be living out in this part of the country. Wyoming only allows a lucky few thousand to live there. :wink: And because the state is big and the distances are far, easy to get in some serious miles on the ole wing. I think a Wyoming four corners ride would be a gas. (in fact that sounds so good, I think I'll get my Wyoming GPS (read atlas) out and start planning).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ziggy, I was on the same road on Friday, I live in Craig, went to Denver and back. One of the nicest roads in your part of the woods is over Battle Pass, Baggs to Encampment. Very little traffic and lots of the curvy stuff. The wife and I like to do lunch in Centennial Wyo. which is just a short ride from Craig. Another ride that hasn’t been mentioned for you would be Rock Springs to Vernal, Craig and home. Not the prettiest but “different” country.
I also didn’t get to ride as much as I wanted to, but next year will be different I hope. Want to go to the Zion area and Montrose in July. Getting a new hip in Dec. so maybe riding will be a lot more enjoyable.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi FIRE-151
Is the road from Baggs through the snowy range to Laramie paved all the way ?? I wanted to do that route on my return trip from the black hills last Aug.,but decided to go south out of Laramie to Walden and on south on 9. What is 130 like from 70 & 130 up to Saratoga and I 80 is that paved?.

Thanks Chuck

·
Registered
883 Posts
And because the state is big and the distances are far, easy to get in some serious miles on the ole wing. I think a Wyoming four corners ride would be a gas. (in fact that sounds so good, I think I'll get my Wyoming GPS (read atlas) out and start planning).[/quote]

My brother lives in Gillette. He put together a ride that consists of riding through the 6 surrounding states (SD, NE, CO, UT, ID, Mt) & all 23 counties of Wyoming. He's completed it several times, with different groups. Last Memorial Day, we set out to complete the same ride & earn my SS 1000 & BB 1500 Although I did get my SS & BB, the ride was detoured due to a snowstorm in the Yellowstone area. (Nine inches!) We're planning on the ride again in the spring. It is a Wonderful way to see the state. :)
It would be great to get several from the board to join in the ride. 8)

I have a South Dakota, 66 county, ride plotted & downloaded, just waiting for nice weather to come!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your messages, sounds like have a lot of riding to do! Im from MN so Im not a fan (yet) of the desertness of southern Wyoming...parts of it are just bland for me, but like I said, if I go pretty much anywhere outside of my immediate area, I get into some good riding.

Bingo 1038 said:
Hi FIRE-151
Is the road from Baggs through the snowy range to Laramie paved all the way ?? I wanted to do that route on my return trip from the black hills last Aug.,but decided to go south out of Laramie to Walden and on south on 9. What is 130 like from 70 & 130 up to Saratoga and I 80 is that paved?.

Thanks Chuck
Chuck, I think I can asnwer that...unless I am incorrect:
130 going from Saratoga to I80 IS paved. I believe that 70 is completely paved. Im not totally sure however, because we took a scenic route called Aspen Alley (WOW!) this fall and that was all unpaved pretty much all the way up to Rawlins. I think Aspen Alley might be Sage Creek road, but Im not sure. Next time you are in the area, take 130 through the snowy range towards centennial...very pretty drive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ziggy, yes the roads you mentioned are all paved. In 2003 there was road construction on the first 10 miles of the Snowy Range road but there hasn't been any since. The road from Savery to Encampment and then over the Snowy Range is closed in the winter and over the Snowy Range is quite cool until late summer. Where do you live in WY?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ziggy, that photo looks very similar to one that I took when crossing over Berthoud Pass on/ab 12 Aug 06. I had traveled from where I live in VA to Idaho and Spokane, WA on my VTX 1300, by myself. On the return trip I rode from Spokane to Bozeman, MT, then to Yellowstone and on to Dubois, WY. Then went to Lander, Rock Springs, and on to Vernal, UT. Next I rode rte 40 across CO. When I got to the rockies I encountered rain over both ranges at 9500 and 11,307+ ft until near the top of Berthoud Pass. The elevation was so high I rose up out of the clouds and rain near the top.

The temp was about 55 degrees and of course the roads were wet. All of that territory was new to me so I naturally took it pretty easy on the curves. The entire trip encompassed nearly 7K miles in four weeks (spent time visiting with two brothers and other friends along the way).

Now that I have the Wing I am considering making a trip to CO and the SW US next spring. There is so much to see in that part of the country that is very different from what I am accustomed to seeing here in VA and WV. The mountains are similar and no less beautiful here, but much smaller.

Hope you can get your Wing out and ride a LOT more in the coming year. Best wishes and thanks for sharing your experience. BTW, as a teacher in my early years of gainful employment, I can appreciate your description of how it impacts your time and life. I taught for four years before moving to the local community college and getting into administrative work. Just was not cut out for the classroom environment and having to discipline other people's children. :roll:

Todd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts