GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Time Online (UK) has an article with video entitled The Great Escape, Re-Enacted where a stunt man tries to recreate the controversial jump. An excerpt from the article:
Two feet, four, six . . . 7ft off the ground. After repeated nervous, muddy attempts, Bud Ekins, a motorcycle stunt rider, coaxed the old Triumph into the air, flew over the strands of fake barbed wire and into the history books. The sequence helped make The Great Escape a cinema classic and turn Steve McQueen into an international star. It also made Ekins, who doubled as McQueen, a legend among fellow riders

In stunt-riding circles, the jump is still regarded as one of the most technically skilled — and controversial — performed for the big screen. Controversial because Ekins later claimed it was done on a standard, factory-built Triumph. Some film historians say such a jump could not have been accomplished except by special effects or on a highly modified machine. Forty-six years after The Great Escape was made, The Sunday Times has solved the mystery by reconstructing the jump.

More, including video, at the source.

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
That was cool!! It's been a long time since I last saw The Great Escape, I may have to find the DVD.

:biker:

·
Registered
747 Posts
That was one of the most memorable bike scenes ever. I notice the jump we just saw, the bike had a nice fresh set of off-road tires which should help. I liked the jump that Elkins did for the movie a lot better.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
That was one of the most memorable bike scenes ever. I notice the jump we just saw, the bike had a nice fresh set of off-road tires which should help. I liked the jump that Elkins did for the movie a lot better.
I have to agree, Bud's wasn't a simple straight over the fence jump, and he had to land it parallel the larger fence. I noticed in the film excerpt they cut away right after Bud landed, which makes me think that something happened that they didn't want in the film.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Here's a little background on Steve Colley, the guy who re-created the jump. Colley is, obviously, a Brit who competed in Observed Trials at the World level for many years. I remember watching him at his first World event when he was 15 in 1989.

If memory serves, he finished as high as 3rd or 4th in the World, in a couple of years, back in the late 90s.

That jump, even on that bike, was a "walk in the park". Evidenced by no protective gear other than boots.:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts