GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened to be looking up a lawn mower battery today, took a look at pricing for a Goldwing battery from these folks. $35.55 for the battery - on sale.

I've bought from these folks before - it's the same as the OEM battery as far as I can tell - and since there's only a couple of different battery manufacturers out there and they second label their products, these may be the same ones.

I'm trained by GNB battery corporation - and I like these batteries. Wanted to pass on the info. I just bought one last riding season or I'd be getting one of these today.

Hope this post helps someone. p.s. - don't let the year listing fool you - same battery all years for the 1800.

Ride safe. https://www.batterysharks.com/Honda...-2001-2006-p/goldwinggl1800_m12-18-310l-d.htm

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
They are SigmasTek batteries made in China. They told me ALL their batteries are.
I have one of their batteries in my 78-750 for 2 years now and working very well. It holds above 13 volts for months.
I just bought a battery from them last week for my Suzuki for $17.44 delivered. No electric start so battery is not high power.
That 35.50 for Wing is plus $18.30 shipping to get to here.
I wanted to get more years on 78 battery before I would try one in the Wing. I usually get Yuasa.
AGM in Suzuki last 10 yrs.

Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
Registered
727 Posts
My battery is 5 years old so I just ordered a replacement. Thank you sir for sharing this information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I just bought and installed that exact battery from those folks. Working fine so far.
Was going to go Honda, but I wasn't going to pay almost $140

ps. It comes with the terminal slugs and a couple bolts.

·
Registered
909 Posts
No longer on sale. :frown2: Back up to $58.45 regular price.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
I was looking at it last night and put off ordering one cause I was on a monitored system. I went to get the bike out to ride to work after not riding for two weeks and my battery was dead. Put the charger on it overnight and I’ll load test it tomorrow. Oh well, he who hesitates gets lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Just a update on the one I bought. Purchased 3/21/19. Bike wouldn't start today, and showed no problems earlier. Voltage fine static checked. Dropped to near zero when I hit the starter... couldn't supply the amperage. In short, POS. Sometimes you get what you paid for... in my case a POS battery good for a trade-in carcass.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Says 6months warranty.. Give them a call. Let them know yours failed so they can add yours to the failure rate so it is more accurate.
A lot of places don't want the old one back so no return shipping involved.

You can get a bad one in any brand.

Problem is right now it says "out of stock".

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not really out of stock... Plenty on ebay from batterysharks.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Says 6months warranty.. Give them a call. Let them know yours failed so they can add yours to the failure rate so it is more accurate.
A lot of places don't want the old one back so no return shipping involved.

You can get a bad one in any brand.

Problem is right now it says "out of stock".
Thanks for keeping me on the straight. I was a little upset after washing, waxing, detailing, mounting a new flag holder and ready for a ride.
Put the battery on the charger, even though the voltage was already in the ball park. No joy. Had to run to Rural King... didn't have the right size battery, then to WallyWorld to pick up one - remove old, put in new. Spent 20 minutes with getting the seat bolts back in.

ps. the POS part may have been mistaken... you all know that I meant "purely outta' snot" :0)

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Just a update on the one I bought. Purchased 3/21/19. Bike wouldn't start today, and showed no problems earlier. Voltage fine static checked. Dropped to near zero when I hit the starter... couldn't supply the amperage. In short, POS. Sometimes you get what you paid for... in my case a POS battery good for a trade-in carcass.
Unfortunately, price usually accompanies quality. For me, and because sometime use my Wing for touring, reliability is paramount. I'd rather have the full priced Yuasa.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Update -

Emailed them from customer service section on their website with particulars. Had a reply within the hour. Have to send them a picture of the battery while hooked up to voltmeter, to show static voltage. Offered replacement or refund and I don't have to send the battery back. Good folks.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Glad they treated you right. They seemed like a good place and would try to make it right when I talked to them.
2yr old Signas Tech spun the old 750 over great yesterday. Already worth the $32 shipped I paid for it.
That bike doesn't get to travel real far from home any more and I don't want to spend a lot on it anymore. It has a kick starter or I can push it.

The last Powersonic I bought lasted 8yrs in the 750. That was all local guy had at the time for $60. Not really cheap.

I had Powersonic last about 3-4yrs in 88 Wing. I paid $37 for the first one locally and price kept going up. They were the same stock and stored dry.
If I can find a Yuasa GYZ for '12 Wing reasonable I might get it.
I want the extra power it has. I was used to running high cca batteries with high reserve minutes in my car with a power hungry stereo and car not running.
I like to have the Wing stereo on when I clean it and would like the extra power.
Renegade has high cca batteries but they said it doesn't help "reserve" minutes. MC batteries don't have that rating like car batteries so can't compare MC batteries reserve.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I decided to have my battery tested in my '12 just to see where it was at. I knew it was either 7yrs old or 5yrs old. Pretty sure it is the original and will know for sure when i take it out completely and see date code on top.

First place said 289cca and great voltage. Owner of place said it was not original battery that came in the bike(but he was wrong).
Couldn't see all the letters and numbers because of bracket. But i could see GY and thought someone had replaced the the OEM with the GYZ20HL but terminals didn't look like the HL one.

Second place said 244cca and great voltage. I thought what the heck is going on here. Always spun over great even with 20w50 oil. I thought i would notice it getting low on amps and cranking slower.

So I took the bracket off when i got home and found out this is the OEM battery and a GYZ20 "L". 250cca and 20AH.
I thought OEM was supposed to be a 310cca and 18AH battery YTX20HL
but apparently not.

I have had the bike for 3yrs(1700miles total when i bought it) and even moved the battery slightly out to help the removal of fuel tank. I never payed any attention to the battery number then.

Honda put a 250cca battery in this bike but a 20AH rating instead of 18AH and it cranks fine.
I guess Yuasa has the battery crank less amps but last longer on slow drain or crank longer at that rating.

With trips coming up the next couple of years i went for the big one. GYZ20HL. 320cca and 20AH. The Yuasa wasn't that much more right now than some of these less costly batteries.

ATV will probably get a Sigmas Tek because price is really good yet from batterysharks and ATV isn't as important as Wing with wife on back and far from home.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I decided to have my battery tested in my '12 just to see where it was at. I knew it was either 7yrs old or 5yrs old. Pretty sure it is the original and will know for sure when i take it out completely and see date code on top.

First place said 289cca and great voltage. Owner of place said it was not original battery that came in the bike(but he was wrong).
Couldn't see all the letters and numbers because of bracket. But i could see GY and thought someone had replaced the the OEM with the GYZ20HL but terminals didn't look like the HL one.

Second place said 244cca and great voltage. I thought what the heck is going on here. Always spun over great even with 20w50 oil. I thought i would notice it getting low on amps and cranking slower.

So I took the bracket off when i got home and found out this is the OEM battery and a GYZ20 "L". 250cca and 20AH.
I thought OEM was supposed to be a 310cca and 18AH battery YTX20HL
but apparently not.

I have had the bike for 3yrs(1700miles total when i bought it) and even moved the battery slightly out to help the removal of fuel tank. I never payed any attention to the battery number then.

Honda put a 250cca battery in this bike but a 20AH rating instead of 18AH and it cranks fine.
I guess Yuasa has the battery crank less amps but last longer on slow drain or crank longer at that rating.

With trips coming up the next couple of years i went for the big one. GYZ20HL. 320cca and 20AH. The Yuasa wasn't that much more right now than some of these less costly batteries.

ATV will probably get a Sigmas Tek because price is really good yet from batterysharks and ATV isn't as important as Wing with wife on back and far from home.
For the record.

OEM used to be YTX20L

Then it was changed in later models to GYZ20L
They are the same size and terminals so either will work.

The L refers to which side the +/- terminals are located on.

the -BS on some YTX series stands for Bottle Supplied; meaning the fluid for the battery is supplied in a separate container. Means it doesn't get factory initialized, so less concern about how old it is a installation. (easy to initialize yourself, if so inclined)

All GYZ's are factory initialized.

The H's do have slightly higher rating, but the Honda recommended seem to usually go 5 to 7 years so I'm unsure of the benefit.

The GYZ20HL has different terminals than the others (according to Yuasa tech catalogue) but iirc, some have made them work anyway.

The Yuasa application guide has lots and lots of good information technical info about powersports batteries including the ratings, design care, charging, and about initializing the -BS models.

Yuasa has manufactured power sorts batteries in the USA since the late 70's.

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/about/about-us/

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Yuasa-Battery-Application-Guide-2019.pdf

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sigmas Tek battery in 750 Honda will be 3yrs old in April and still going strong now. For the money it is doing very well. Just $10.87 a year if it lasts to April which isn't going to be a problem.

I ordered one for my atv and it arrived today with the negative post smashed by USPS. Sent batterysharks pictures and packing slip. They are sending me a new one and i keep the old one. I told them to watch how they pack because this one was destined to fail in shipping.

Great place and customer service though. The extra battery can be used in computer backup or something around here. Voltage is good now. Not sure if it might have internal damage so i didn't want it in the atv and maybe fail later on.

I did install a new Yuasa GYZ20HL 320cca in the Wing earlier in the year with a little mod to cable ends.
This one will have to last over 9yrs to be $10 a year, but will get a lot more use and abuse so anything over 5yrs is bonus time.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My $32.62 Sigmas Tek is getting pretty weak after 3 yrs 8 months. Cranks but wears down fast on my 78-750 Honda even after charging . Probably get another Sigmas Tek. Worth it for almost 4 yrs on this old bike.

Amazon is the cheapest right now for $36.36 total from Battery Sharks.
Weird it is $40.60 total on Battery Sharks own website.

Might wait until spring and might not since you never know what weather is going to do around here. Kickstarter still works as long as i have enough juice to fire the ignition with lights on but would be nice to have a fresh battery.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts