GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Start out in Lineboro (North of Westminster) on Rt 86 North, turns into PA 516N. Hang a right onto PA 851 West. This takes you through Shrewsbury, Stewartstown, Fawn Grove. Get onto 425 North, this takes you through Yorks Furnace and Craley then a right onto 624 North into Wrightsville. From there, follow the 462 East signs, which will take you over the bridge. Take the first right over the bridge, and keep taking right hand turns until you reach Front street. This turns into Water street if you stay straight. Within five miles you'll take a right onto River Road. Stay on River Road.....pay attention, it curves right and left a lot. You will come to a dead end, take right onto 324 South. Follow this about a quarter of a mile, turn left when you see a bunch of orange "sharp turn" arrows, and you'll see the sign for
http://pequeacreekcampground.com . Take a left there, it will lead you to a covered bridge. From there, keep bearing left, and you will take a left at the stop sign, which is Bridge Valley Road. Follow this until it dead ends, then left onto River Road. River Road dead ends at Rt 372, turn right on that, then on to PA 74 South.....74 South takes you back to 851 West, and the Delta Restaurant is a good place to stop and eat. 851 West takes you back to MD 516 and Lineboro.

This route has a bit of everything. Mountains, a covered bridge, Farms, Small towns, trains, trolley cars, and crosses over the Susquehanna River twice. The only "traffic" you will run across is going under I-83 in Shrewsbury, which is about a half a mile worth. I have yet to see any LEO running speed traps anywhere along this route.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Thanks for the road suggestions.....................

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too bad you're so far away Scott. This weekend, I'm going to take this route, but at the end of 624 in Wrightsville, I'm going to cross over the Susqhehanna on either 462 or 30 and see if I can find a neat backroads way home. Never had to come home east of the Susquehanna before to see how I cross back over it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Bump.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Left home on Middleburg Rd. north on rt.77 through Thurmont over the mountain. Left on Stottlemeyer road. took rt. 17 over through Myersdale and Middletown. took ALT 40 to Boonesboro to the creamery for a banana split. Rt. 66 to Rt. 64 Then took 491 ? to Fort Richie,550 south and back to Thrumont and on to home. Just a short ride 95 miles (about 3 hrs., but the wife loved it.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I personally feel fortunate to have regular access to these and many similar roads in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Western Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia... I can take a 200-300 mile loop any time and know I am enjoying some of the best riding areas in the country! :thumbup:

Although I'm overdue for a long road trip, I've so far put almost 40k on my Wing with just these "day trips" and daily commuting miles. Doesn't get much better. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rt 550 through Sabillasville is great. Neat overlook here.

• Follow Rt. 550 through Sabillasville and Cascade.
  • RIGHT at the traffic light at the entrance of the Fort Ritchie base.
  • Cross railroad tracks, then take the next LEFT.
  • Follow this road past Camp Louise, to a stop sign.
  • STRAIGHT at this intersection; you'll pass Pen-Mar park on your right.
  • Continue following the road, to the top of the ridge.
Devil- Stottlemeyer and that whole area off of Rt 40 is nice. There are a days worth of backroads you could just ride over and over again. I love 17 off of 340 through Burkittsville.

Gary- It's been about 14 months since I've been to Tennessee, but with some of the roads I've found up here, I'm missing it less and less every time. 10 hours each way, and $650-$900 for a cabin for a week cuts into my new Corvette fund;).

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BUMP because this is a great ride and updated directions.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
My Eastern Shore ride last Saturday put me over the 70k mark... Easton, Ocean City, Rehobeth, Dewey, and up Rt.13 to Wilmington before cutting across Harford County towards Silver Spring. A beautiful day (warm and breezy) for 400 miles except for loads of LEO traps (no, I didn't get caught) and another burnt-out front bulb!
:banghead: :cop2:

I personally feel fortunate to have regular access to these and many similar roads in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Western Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia... I can take a 200-300 mile loop any time and know I am enjoying some of the best riding areas in the country! :thumbup:

Although I'm overdue for a long road trip, I've so far put almost 40k on my Wing with just these "day trips" and daily commuting miles. Doesn't get much better. :yes1:

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Eastern Shore ride last Saturday put me over the 70k mark... Easton, Ocean City, Rehobeth, Dewey, and up Rt.13 to Wilmington before cutting across Harford County towards Silver Spring. A beautiful day (warm and breezy) for 400 miles except for loads of LEO traps (no, I didn't get caught) and another burnt-out front bulb!
:banghead: :cop2:

Lineboro,
I live in Westminster always looking for an excuse to go for a ride, wife like to ride as well. We enjoy gong out for lunch. Give me a call maybe we can meet 443-690-9514 Doug macy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Thanks for the hot tips here.

I somehow managed to not know about the High Rock Overlook for all these years. I went up there Sunday, it was very nice. Loop out of Beans in the Belfry in Brunswick, up 17 - Stottlemeyer-77 to Thurmont covered bridge, over to High Rock, around to Misty Meadow Farm Creamery, then back south via Smithsburg & Boonesboro.

Scenery was great. Roads were thoroughly adequate. Very pleasant, a few good twisty ones, but I'm sure there's more out there in the neighborhood I just need to find.

I'll probably do the Linesboro / Susquehenna ride as a loop out of Westminster in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow

Glad to see this thread resurrected. I'm still riding my Susquehanna loop a few times a month.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Now that we have the modern technology, how about attaching .gpx files exported tracks from your gps? That way we can import them into our navigation system and just ride!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts