GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from an enjoyable 3-day/1900 mile trip from western ND through SD, NE, IA and MN. Included was the Black Hills of SD, the sandhills area of northern/central NE and then into central IA and MN plus a run across ND. The entire region is lovely now with lots of greenery. The roads were in mostly good to excellent condition and the traffic was light. I was surprised how little road construction I encountered...it was not needed!

I pulled a new Aluma cargo trailer home from Des Moines. Very nice!

I stayed in a motel in Chadron, NE for $36.00!!! (Motel 9) Nothing fancy but it was clean and quiet and it had a good bed.

Until the Rockies thaw out, midwest riders can find plenty of good riding closer to home.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
good riding

Gizmo,

I think we talked about this a while back. I consider a long trip through the plains as enjoyable as the mountains on the other side of them. The feeling that you get topping the rise over looking the Missouri River valley is one of those "etched in time" memories. It's not just that though. The vastness, bigness is such a strong feeling and so hard to describe to anyone that's not experienced it themselves. It makes me feel alive just thinking of it. Thanks for reminding me.
Richard

·
Registered
546 Posts
U.s. 20

I have taken many 2 lane routes out west but my favotire is U.S. 20 I live in S.W. Michigan. U.S. 20 from Rockford Ill. (sweetcorn) to Wyoming is very nice. First time in 81. Most of Iowa is four land now but Nebraska is two lane . Most small towns in Nebraska have free camping in city parks and very friendly people. There is very little traffic in the sandhills. Nice ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts