GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to rent a trailer to take our trike to Yellowstone on vacation in a couple of weeks.

The guy I was going to rent a trailer from started at $30 /day for the trailer and as we got closer to the trip on the 7th of Sept he raised the rate to $40, then $50 ! That was going to make the trip a $400- 500 deal just for the trailer.

That did it. I decided to look around for a trailer and I found one that was only a year old and in great shape AND it matched my F-150 !:thumbup:

I figured I would buy it and sell it later but when my wife saw it she said we keeping this - It looks great with the truck.

I got this for $1700 so I figure I'm ahead even if I decide to sell it later.

The trike fits in with no problem and it has a bunch of space to spare. Can't beat that !

The question is - do you tie down a trike in a trailer ?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Good deal on the trailer -
Check out e-tracks and power-ties for tying the trike down.

·
Registered
267 Posts
how can you go wrong plus color matched. :thumbup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Congrats! That will be handy for lots more than hauling the trike. Plus you are in control of your own stuff and not at the mercy of someone who wants to take more of your money than he originally agreed to. You gotta feel good about this deal.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Nice buy.....and you gotta strap that big girl down!

·
Registered
633 Posts
change your hitch tongue to one that maintains a Level ride. from your foto it looks like a 2-3" drop will suffice.
you'll want that weight on 3 points equal to maintain a smoother ride.
keep the load bias equal. this is one way to prevent swaying/fishtailing, or a rude surprise when uncoupling.
also helps with braking/steering having the tongue weight properly balance.
tou the operator is also required to maintain safety to other vehicles so ensure you secure All Gear inside.
shifting loads are not pretty going around turns!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The photo is with the trailer empty. With the trike in there it levels out just right.

I have the trike in there with the rear wheels just behind the trailer wheels so that allows me to put some more gear in the front. The CG of a trike seems to be just forward of the rear wheels.

The PO installed E tracks so I will use the attachments to secure the trike and additional load.

I was getting pretty pissed off at the guy renting the trailer. He thought I was going to Sturgis and wanted to charge me more for an "event". I kept trying to tell him Sturgis is over but you just can't fix stupid !

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Looks like a nice trailer, just curious, why don't you just ride your trike to Yellowstone, it's great time of the year to go on a long ride.
Do you have a place to park it when you get back?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
change your hitch tongue to one that maintains a Level ride. from your foto it looks like a 2-3" drop will suffice.
you'll want that weight on 3 points equal to maintain a smoother ride.
keep the load bias equal. this is one way to prevent swaying/fishtailing, or a rude surprise when uncoupling.
also helps with braking/steering having the tongue weight properly balance.
tou the operator is also required to maintain safety to other vehicles so ensure you secure All Gear inside.
shifting loads are not pretty going around turns!
+1

You definitely want a level trailer behind you.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like a nice trailer, just curious, why don't you just ride your trike to Yellowstone, it's great time of the year to go on a long ride.
Do you have a place to park it when you get back?
We don't have the time available to ride up & back in addition to th e time at Yellowstone & Cody. With the truck & trailer we can drive straight through switching off drivers. Plus my wife wasn't excited about a 2000 mile round trip through mostly desert in the Sept heat.

My mother in law has lots of room at her place for it to be parked.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Congrats - looks like you got a good deal. Yes, definitely tie it down and make sure trailer rides level. Also, make sure you have 10-15% of total loaded trailer weight on the tongue. This might affect how far forward or aft that you want to tie down your trike.

Now watch out for the anti-trailer police who will join your thread, it's easy to skip through their posts though...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Be sure and re-pack your wheel bearings and check the DOT date on the tires. Even if the tread is good, they may to out dated. Have a great trip. Pat

·
Registered
336 Posts
I can tell you for sure with a square front trailer behind an F 150 your gas mileage is going to really stink. Mine gets about 10 with the trailer with only 1 snowmobile in it, it is the wind resistance that gets me. I would put a cap on the truck to keep the airflow from dropping over the roof of the truck and hitting the front of the trailer if I were to haul it a lot. The other solution would be to put a V nose on the trailer but that looks like a major project I am not equipped to do correctly.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
We had a 6' x 12' Pace trailer like that with a rear ramp door we sold for $1500 since we never used it anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts