GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Preaching to the chior

We are ATGATT riders and know what it is like to crash at speed. I sure wish riders would make the decision before they grow skin back for a year to rock the gear. :agree:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
She has brown eyes.....
The love of the bike, some have it, some not.

Back at it with more sense , a survivor.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Wow! What a brave young lady willing to show us her scars attempting to make a difference. Her's is a site that I am going to be showing to others for quite some time.

I am very impressed!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Turns out there is a lot more to Brittany then the video. Check out her non-profit website Rock the Gear at http://rockthegear.org/

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
She should be wearing leather. Nothing protects better.

And riders aren't easy to talk into changing the way they ride.

It usally takes a nasty experience of their own to wake them up.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Damn shame she had to learn the hard way.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
We are ATGATT riders and know what it is like to crash at speed. I sure wish riders would make the decision before they grow skin back for a year to rock the gear. :agree:
Not to detract from your statement, but It doesn't even take a lot of speed to scrub your skin off of your body. If you've ever skinned your knees by tripping in a parking lot, you can imagine you're moving a a few miles an hour. Just imagine that at 20-25 mph. The palms of your hands will take a LONG time to heal.

Great video, and a great message. Imagine that same accident with a skull cap(DOT) rather than a full-faced helmet. She wouldn't have much of a face to look at. Glad she's doing what she can to get the message out.

Any gear is better than no gear, and IMHO dressing up like a power ranger doesn't make you look silly, it makes you look SMART!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Thanks for the post. It is a great video - a good message and well presented.

I have gone down 3 times in the past 5 years, twice after being run into by a cage and once without anyone's help. I have gone through a helmet from one crash and a couple of riding suits, but they can be replaced. The physical crash tally has been:
  • Numerous contusions
  • Two broken vertebrae
  • Three broken ribs
  • Zero cuts starches of abrasions - my skin and skull are intact and uninjured

What I find really interesting is how so many say they gear up all the time or "I'm against helmet laws, but I wear mine all the time." However when My wife and I take one of our numerous long trips we constantly marvel at how few of our fellow riders are wearing safety gear.

·
Registered
714 Posts
She was traveling 120 mph when she hit the pavement?!? As some have posted, it doesn't take much speed to scrape the old skin off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
120mph on public roads? If she was the one wipping by you would you still feel the same way about her message? IDK, to each there own. I get the message but, when someone says this is what can happen from a crash at 120 with only helmet on, for me I have no sympathy. Anyone with ATG crashing at 120 will be lucky to see another day.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
She was traveling 120 mph when she hit the pavement?!? As some have posted, it doesn't take much speed to scrape the old skin off.

yea..maybe a difference of a little road rash versus a potato peeler skid at 120mph!

·
Registered
559 Posts
120 mph is fast, but depending on the mechanics of the accident, it could be better than going 45 and hitting a guard rail. If it was a 120 mph low side, then impact was minimal, and it was simply the high speed slide that got her. Lucky she didn't impact anything.

Point really is, any accident on a bike can be quite serious.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
120mph on public roads? If she was the one wipping by you would you still feel the same way about her message?
Sadly, Brittany was the passenger. While she made the mistake of not "Rocking the Gear," it was the driver that contributed to her demise.

I met Brittany several years ago at Bike Week in Daytona and talked to her about what happened. Basically, Shaun (the driver) decided to show off a straight stretch of the highway. Brittany raised her head a little to high into the wind and the rest is history. Fortunately, it was a remote area and there was no traffic. Sadly, it took a while for the paramedics to reach her.

Here is the accounting of her accident: http://www.rockthegear.org/index.ph...tion_built_on_passion_experience_willingness/

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think this quote from the her site sums up the message about ATGATT.

I didn’t wear all of my gear because no one had ever shaken me by the shoulders and told me this: “If you don’t wear your gear, you will rip off all of your skin. It will hurt like hell for a long time… pain you cannot even imagine. You will rack up over half a million dollars worth of medical bills. You will put your family through the worst experience of their entire lives. Your amazing father, your daddy, will have to leave the hospital room on several occasions because of your screams in pain. Your husband will never come to visit you in the hospital, nor will he call or write to see how you are doing. You will know what it is like to be truly alone for the first time in your life. Your parents will be forced to miss work, lose sleep, drive to the hospital, and fear for your life every day for nearly 2 months. The financial burden on yourself and your family for the next several years will be large. You will lose your job. You will lose your ability to join the military and serve your country. You will lose the ability to walk and move on your own. You will never have beautiful skin again. You will lose all of your beautiful hair. You will spend your mother’s birthday in a hospital gown and a wheelchair. The emotional stress from this accident will affect you until the day you die. You will lose full motion in your knees for the rest of your life and they will be in constant pain. People will stare at you in the gym, in restaurants… hell, people will stare at you everywhere. You will never be fully free of the consequences of this decision. And all of this is what you are choosing when you choose not to wear gear.”

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
THANKS !!! ... for posting this. I've always been a "gear nut" and now I'm getting more serious every day.

People around here ... east central Indiana ... seldom wear a helmet let alone any other gear. Maybe 5% wear helmets, so this makes me an oddball.

Dixie, my wife, and I just went on a 1400 mile toour down the Blue Ridge Parkway ... we wear Nolan 103 helmets, Field Sheer mesh armored jackets and pants, leather (though not motorcycle style) gloves, and leather (again, not motorcycle specific) boots. I've found I can keep cool in all this gear at 100 F. simply by wetting my arms and legs with water ... this lasts nearly an hour and works surprisingly well.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Asphalt: World's fastest tatto remover.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts