GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lose cell service and those apps you on are worthless

Incorrect - Google allows you to download your map/route. Sygic allows you to download individual states and avoid freeways and motorways implying more scenic back road trip. There is also a program called Scenic. It starts with the premise that you are traveling by motorcycle and you that you want to take the scenic route. I haven't purchased Scenic but it doesn't cost much and neither does Sygic ($10-15 for lifetime license with updates). I believe better and better Navigation apps will continue to be developed. Nice when your Navigation alerts you to speed limit changes, hidden camera's and traffic.

Again, I haven't used Scenic but believe if you're near a city/area but want to know if there is good riding nearby it may create a loop that has twists and turns and perhaps less traveled. Pretty cool when you are visiting friends or family and have time for a ride, why not make it a good one.

I have had Android phones for years. I wouldn't have ever considered an Apple product. I have known that I got more bang for my buck avoiding Apple computers, phones and other devices. I repair Window's for a living and I work on Apple too. I know they make a good product, I just believe they are pricey.

When the 2018 Gold Wing was announced and I became aware of features I budgeted in helmets and headsets. I had never used Apple phones, never used headsets, and I had never experienced using Apple Car Play or Android Auto - but when I read about it I knew I needed an Apple phone. Crap! I didn't want to learn how to transfer my stuff, I didn't want to learn a new phone, an overpriced Apple iPhone.

Its worth every cent - Apple Car Play is the only game, and if Google didn't want to get in the game for 2018 or 2019, I am doubtful that they will want to anytime soon. Further, refusing to buy Apple would have been a HUGE mistake for me as it allows me to use some really great features - features not available in my 2015 LOADED pickup truck. I wished Android Auto had been available but it isn't and I wouldn't count on it either. With an Apple iPhone, the number of application / program choices will continue to grow and improve. NO COMPLAINTS - this bike ROCKS!

Someone said he paid $30,000 for a bike and he shouldn't have to spend anymore money on a phone. You think the built in Navigation is lacking? The problem isn't the bike, the problem is you wanted the $30,500 model but you only purchased the $30,000 model. Rather than blame Honda, reconsider getting the equipment Honda said you'd need if you wanted the features you want. They didn't spring this on anyone - it was clear what you needed an Apple phone and headset to take advantage of the many features including improvement over the base navigation system that is included with the bike. If you didn't know, or you choose not to take action, its all on you.

Get the Apple phone, quit with the bitching that only reveals your lack of understanding, your unwillingness to part with the additional money or just your determined stubbornness/ ignorance refusal to do what is needed and explained before you made your purchase. It was clear before Honda sold you your bike and nothing has changed. If you want a great Navigation program, you need a headset and an Apple iPhone. Also you will need to buy a pack of 6" USB cables for your new iPhone on Amazon. They go bad sometimes. And then enjoy your fine motorcycle and Apple Car Play - This is the best time to be alive. My Navigation choices are awesome and continue to get better.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Bayrec,
Thank you for posting a lucid, well-thought-out post regarding Honda, Apple, and folks who like to bitch about anything not under their control. I've been an Apple fan and user for many years. I agree with you that Apple products come at a premium but they work well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Downloaded the Sygic app. You do get premium for 7 days to test out. It also comes up on Carplay. The notes on the "premium" within the Sygic store suggest that if you want premium to work with Carplay then you have to purchase that and its $55.00! Does anybody know what you get from the premium with traffic for Carplay VS just premium with traffic for $17.00? Perhaps the 7 day trial is the version supporting Carplay and it will stop working with CarPlay in 7 days? Obviously do not want to buy the Premium with traffic if it does not work on Carplay......

Also opinions on what are the advantages of Sygic VS Waze? Just off-line maps?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Phone for navigation

Multiple times while I have been allowing my phone to follow my route when navigating, I have had Waze hang. I have had to reboot the phone to get it back. I also don't like having my phone doing something else (like a phone call) when trying to navigate through an unfamiliar town or city. I have also had my phone get hot while riding and refuse to charge and it won't run most navigation apps for long without being plugged in. I've never had any of these problems with my dedicated GPS. It just works. I also like to plan routes on my computer in a database like Bascamp and run those routes with the same routing engine and the same maps that I used to plan the route. That means for me I use Garmin and Basecamp. I know all of this is changing and I also realize the different people have different priorities, but for now, I think my Zumo and Basecamp have significant advantages for me. OTOH, I think Google Maps on a phone is a good solution for spur of the moment routes and navigation.

As to Apple vs Android, I use Tasker on my Android phone. It automatically starts apps and sets volumes on everything and even leaves me in Waze when it sees the bluetooth devices on the bike. If I don't have at least 50% power remaining, it does not start Waze. I find the automation of Tasker really convenient to ride. Tasker-like apps can essentially not work in the Apple universe. I use a Macbook Pro, a Mac Pro and an iPad, but I continue to use Android for my phone so I can use Tasker.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You think the built in Navigation is lacking? The problem isn't the bike, the problem is you wanted the $30,500 model but you only purchased the $30,000 model. Rather than blame Honda, reconsider getting the equipment Honda said you'd need if you wanted the features you want.
I disagree, the built in navigation is the problem. On a bike of this price and tech level you simply shouldn't need to use a specific brand of phone to replace the GPS which is built into the bike. Yes it's handy for Apple users to have the option, I agree with that, but it should not be mandatory to compensate for a very lacking standard feature.

Harley doesn't have this issue and Honda shouldn't either. That's my opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i tried scenic before this latest update. hated it. it had me backtracking and doing all kinds of crazy things. hopefully the new one is better. kurviger does it for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Depending on what I'm doing, I use the Honda GPS, Google Maps through Apple Carplay and a Tom Tom Rider GPS. I find all three have advantages and disadvantages depending on the type of riding. I'm looking forward to trying other apps besides just Google Maps. Thanks for the info posted here regarding these other apps. While I'm at it, thanks for all the positive posts and great info I regularly see posted here.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Post Title is very misleading. I expected to learn about another Honda Navi update. Not to be told to get an iPhone.
The nice thing about using phone apps is that new products come out and older apps improve. The title said nothing about Honda Navi. Sorry for your misunderstanding.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I disagree, the built in navigation is the problem. On a bike of this price and tech level you simply shouldn't need to use a specific brand of phone to replace the GPS which is built into the bike. Yes it's handy for Apple users to have the option, I agree with that, but it should not be mandatory to compensate for a very lacking standard feature.

Harley doesn't have this issue and Honda shouldn't either. That's my opinion on the matter.
Harley has Apple Car Play and doesn't have Android Auto - you need an iPhone to make Car Play work on a Harley, Honda or anything else that has Apple Car Play. If you wanted the performance, handling and features of a Gold Wing but purchased the Harley you would have to buy a Gold Wing. If feature rich Navigation is most important to you, you have two choices: buy an iPhone (explained by Honda before they released the 18 Gold Wing) or sell or give away your bike. Then you can drive your car or Harley without Apple Car Play and be happy. Nobody is forcing you to ride a Gold Wing. This is not an opinion.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Downloaded the Sygic app. You do get premium for 7 days to test out. It also comes up on Carplay. The notes on the "premium" within the Sygic store suggest that if you want premium to work with Carplay then you have to purchase that and its $55.00! Does anybody know what you get from the premium with traffic for Carplay VS just premium with traffic for $17.00? Perhaps the 7 day trial is the version supporting Carplay and it will stop working with CarPlay in 7 days? Obviously do not want to buy the Premium with traffic if it does not work on Carplay......

Also opinions on what are the advantages of Sygic VS Waze? Just off-line maps?
I cant tell you the difference but the Premium with Traffic is $17 for life and it works with Apple Car Play. I like Waze as it is used by so many with alerts for traffic (rerouting due to accidents) and hazards. One thing I don't like with Waze is that it has no compass (but will allow for North is up on the display). Sygic has speed limit changes (that appear too briefly). It also warns of traffic. I pay for Sirius radio and weather (combined $7/mth). The weather maps overlay on the stock Navigation - I frequently use both Waze with destination/route set along with the stock Navigation just for weather (What's an hour or two out of the way on a long trip to avoid hours of rain?). The offline maps is primary advantage but you also have more setting choices to get you off highways and on to the byways.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Harley's Boom box system has had Android Auto since at least 2017. The 2019 systems are full touchscreen capable, scroll the map, pinch zoom all of that. And most of the controls on it are voice activated.

Honda's system is adequate for my needs, but a few more dollars and effort should have been invested in it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Harley's Boom box system has had Android Auto since at least 2017. The 2019 systems are full touchscreen capable, scroll the map, pinch zoom all of that. And most of the controls on it are voice activated.

Honda's system is adequate for my needs, but a few more dollars and effort should have been invested in it.
I just read two reviews and both say no Android Auto - I based my response on reviews and have not seen Android Auto on Harley or other motorcycles. Is there a link to information on Android Auto on HD that you could provide. Many would appreciate it as it is of utmost importance to some who are disgusted with the design of Honda's infotainment system.

·
Registered
413 Posts

I just read two reviews and both say no Android Auto - I based my response on reviews and have not seen Android Auto on Harley or other motorcycles. Is there a link to information on Android Auto on HD that you could provide. Many would appreciate it as it is of utmost importance to some who are disgusted with the design of Honda's infotainment system.
I am an idiot. I confused an aftermarket unit for the factory one. The factory one does not support Android.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Multiple times while I have been allowing my phone to follow my route when navigating, I have had Waze hang. I have had to reboot the phone to get it back. I also don't like having my phone doing something else (like a phone call) when trying to navigate through an unfamiliar town or city. I have also had my phone get hot while riding and refuse to charge and it won't run most navigation apps for long without being plugged in.
A couple times I have gotten caught in 95 degree, or higher, stop and go traffic. The phone overheated and shut down. Leaving the lid open once moving remedied the overheating quickly.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts