GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I came back from my ride yesterday, I noticed a greenish-colored liquid on the floor of my garage where I park the bike. Maybe 4 or 5 oz. Seemed to be near the front wheel. Felt like oil. Last night I put white paper under the front wheel area. This morning I see a little bit of liquid has dripped on the left side of the wheel, right beside the back of the front fender. And there is a bit of oil on the tire, left side, center. Can anybody hazard a guess what's going on? Have I blown a front fork seal? (SEE POST #5 FOR AN UPDATE).

TIA.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Green is usually antifreeze. If your fork seals are leaking, there should be evidence on the forks when the two tubes are put together. Look under the black rubber dust cover for fluid buildup or check up the upper fork leg for an oil ring around the tube. If there is nothing there, check the bottom of the engine for an antifreeze drip. I supspect that is what you have from the color.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
The greenish liquid will be antifreeze. A commom problem from the factory is loose hose clamps. Unfortunately those clamps are located under the fuel tank. The fuel tank has to be removed in order to locate and tighten those leaking hoses.

Fred harmon's DVD set addresses this issue and has step by step procedures in order to fix the problem. If the bike is still under warranty, take it to a dealer and have them fix it or do it yourself. There are tricks to getting the fuel tank out and are shown on Fred's DVD's.

Hope this helps

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also thought it was antifreeze when I first saw green liquid. But I'm pretty sure it's associated with the front wheel (by the location of the spillage on the floor). There is nothing leaking on the floor below the rad or engine area. I stuck my finger up behind the chrome rotor covers on the front wheel. The bottom of something behind the cover (the fork?) on the left side was wet with liquid. The same thing on the right side was not wet. I am definitely not technical, but I'm thinking it's a fork seal. Can anybody throw out a guess based on this updated info?

As always, thanks!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Like WoadWunner said. VERY CAREFULLY pry up the dust cover on the fork tube. Slide it up on the upper tube and look down in the seal area. It should be dry. If there is fluid present then that is where your leak is. The original fork oil is pink or red color. Maybe you have a different weight than mine or another brand.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Anti-freeze or tire slime maybe?:shrug: If its truely green anyway;)

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I retract my former answer. Definetely a fork seal

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anti-freeze, if you got 4-5 oz. of fork oil on the deck, your wing would ride like a rocking horse as the forks hold only 17.9 oz. If you had that much leakage overnight the forks would likely be empty of oil from just easy riding.

A quick test - put a small piece of newspaper in the liquid, take it out side and light the paper, anti-freeze won't burn, the fork oil will and will be very smoky when it does.

The bottom line - which ever it is, you have a BIG problem, get it to the shop ASAP and get it fixed - but don't ride it till it's fixed.

Don

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Maybe one of those darned Martian dogs got into your garage and piddled on your tire. :joke:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If it is fork seals than the forks will be bouncy as one of the posts suggested.

Jump in the saddle, grab a hand full of front brake and bounce the forks; are they springy? Does it force more green stuff to drip? Lift a fork seal up a tad and stick a Q-Tip in there. Does it come out green?

Is fork oil color-coded based on the weight/viscosity?

Here is a photo I found of fork oil...

I hope it helps!

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was a fork seal. Thanks guys for all your input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts