GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everybody!

My names Dave, I'm retired Army, living in SE Idaho, and fixing to retire in March. My wife and I had about a 28 year hiatus from the last bike we had, and life happened, but had always wanted a wing. Skip forward to 2017 and we fell into a deal on a 1986 Aspencade SEi which got us back on two wheels. Then we decided since we were about to retire, it might be better to get something with better parts and service availability. We test rode a Harley, and that just didn't work for us. The Aspy had spoiled us, so, it had to be another Goldwing. We were fortunate to find a 2003 Goldwing 1800 for a good price, so in 2018, we moved up to the 1800 and have never looked back. The Aspy carried us for over 4,000 miles that first year. Black Beauty delivered over 7,000 miles for us in 2018, with one 10 day trip covering 1800 miles. Now with 2019 here, she's in the garage getting new Progressive springs in the front forks, a new Progressive spring on the rear shock, along with a replacement stainless braided hose for the preload system. We're also looking to add a new front tire, Centramatic balancers, and up-grades to the intercom system. And....we're Darksiders. :capwin: Thanks for having us, we look forward to talking with all of you, and hope to see you out on the road, Ridin' the Rockies. :grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Welcome and congrats!! I also had a 1986 SEi from Apr '89 to Oct '99. Put 86k miles on it and loved it (except for the 3 wire connector under the seat - grrrr). IMHO, that was one of the purtiest Gold Wings ever made; the 2000 SE Pearl White/Pearl Merced Green next, then the 1995 SE 2 tone red. You certainly live in a very beautiful part of this country!!

Reactions: MountainRider

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
WELCOME!!!

I have had an 1800 since Dec, 05. I still get a huge grin every time I ride it!

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome. Second pic looks like south end of Ranier.
Good eye! We made a trip from Idaho to Washington to visit my family in the Yakima area. It had been years since we made it to Packwood for the Labor Day swap meet, so while we were there, we rode over. This was taken from the view point coming over White Pass (Hwy 12) en-route to Packwood. We plan on repeating that ride with an extended loop around the Olympic Peninsula later this year.

Reactions: empowered01

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
Welcome from florida. Have a niece that lives by yakima . Lives in selah beautiful country out there . Even has dessert

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome from florida. Have a niece that lives by yakima . Lives in selah beautiful country out there . Even has dessert
Small world, I'm actually from Selah. My younger brother is the Fire Chief.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
small world, i'm actually from selah. My younger brother is the fire chief.
yes it is a small world niece raises and shows / sells afghans dogs does real well has had bunch champions .

·
Registered
218 Posts
Welcome Mountain Rider, you didn't say where in Idaho your located, I'm from Northern Utah, there are several of us Utah Boys, one from Pocatello Idaho, another from Vancouver Washington that get together and ride..If interested you would be welcome to ride with us...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome MountainRider. I'm currently in Florida but have property in north Idaho I am hoping to move to soon. Hopefully we can do a ride one day.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome Mountain Rider, you didn't say where in Idaho your located, I'm from Northern Utah, there are several of us Utah Boys, one from Pocatello Idaho, another from Vancouver Washington that get together and ride..If interested you would be welcome to ride with us...
Welcome MountainRider. I'm currently in Florida but have property in north Idaho I am hoping to move to soon. Hopefully we can do a ride one day.

Opps, my bad! I live up the road a bit in Rigby, just North of Idaho Falls. Let me know when you guys plan on doing a ride, I'm in as long as the boss says it's OK. ;) Leslie (the boss) and I ride up to Yellowstone a lot, and down to Lava Hot springs from time to time. If anyone wants to tag along for a ride up to Yellowstone, we've got a great little place for lunch. If you like twisties, the ride to Alpine, Wyoming along Palisades reservoir is awesome as well.

gulfrider, it's beautiful up that direction. We are part of a group of riders, including both my younger brothers and some of their friends, that ride to Orofino, using that for a base for rides around the area.

Thanks for all the welcomes, guys. :grin2:

Reactions: gulfrider

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome, from Hayden Lake. Lots of fantastic riding in this area, you should take a look at riding the Rattlesnake loop at Pendleton Bike Week this summer, going to be my first year there. Favorite rides around here, the Palouse, man what a hidden gem of a riding place, like Black Hills without the people. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome, from Hayden Lake. Lots of fantastic riding in this area, you should take a look at riding the Rattlesnake loop at Pendleton Bike Week this summer, going to be my first year there. Favorite rides around here, the Palouse, man what a hidden gem of a riding place, like Black Hills without the people. Ride safe.

Thanks for the welcome. I'd love to check out Pendleton, but not likely this year as I've already got a couple long rides already planned. One includes going through Orofino with my brothers and continuing on to the Olympic Peninsula and into the Park. The North West is hard to beat for beautiful riding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm just South of you in Grantsville. I have a brother in Shelly, just South of IF.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I'm just South of you in Grantsville. I have a brother in Shelly, just South of IF.
Grantsville,Oh my heck!! We're neighbors:grin2: we probably know some of the same peeps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts