GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
I'm not a Goldwing rider yet - but I joined so I can research it as a possibility.
I've long admired the 'Wing- but wasn't quite ready for one reason or another - and also due to the cost...
We've recently moved into the shadow of the Smoky Mountains and there is some really fantastic riding. I'd really like to have my wife join me on some adventures, but my FJR isn't very comfortable for the 2 of us (I'm 6'3" and "big boned", she's 5'11" with bad knees)

So I've been exploring the possibilities and beginning to realize that 50-60k miles on these bike is barely broken in.
However, to further complicate things, I saw a local Honda dealer that has a 2004 with (allegedly) ~8500 original miles on it. I realize that sitting idle (if not properly prepared for storage) can be as bad as high mileage - but it seems like i may be able to get in the GL1800 club for a price that I can manage and will have a bike that may likely last longer than me. Dealer is closed today - so I'll probably go look at the bike tomorrow and see why this bike probably is "too good to be true".

I'm sure that if I want to go into more details and elicit some replies with advice - I should probably find the proper forum to make a post rather than doing it in my intro post...

So, I'll cut it off here and maybe do a longer post later this evening asking for the collective advice of the community.

Looking forward to learning a bunch and hopefully buying my own sometime soon!

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Welcome from SE Idaho!!! Good luck in your search, ride safe and keep the shiny side up. :grin2:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too good to be true?

Hi everyone!
New member here - joined because I'm hoping to acquire a GL1800.

For those of you that already read my post in the New Member Introductions forum, this will be largely a repeat - but I thought I should post here for more possibilities of replies...

I've long admired the 'Wing- but wasn't quite ready for one reason or another - and the cost was a huge factor...

We've recently moved into the shadow of the Smoky Mountains and there is some really fantastic riding - and exploring on a bike is a perfect way to get to know the area.
I'd really like to have my wife join me on some adventures, but my FJR isn't very comfortable for the 2 of us (I'm 6'3" and "big boned", she's 5'11" with bad knees)
It's barely comfortable for me - I've gotten more "big boned" :grin2: since I bought it and although it's possible to make it fit me a better with some accessorizing - that still doesn't make the bike any bigger and more comfortable for 2-up...

So I've been exploring the possibilities and beginning to realize that 50-60k miles on these bike is barely broken in.

However, to further complicate things, I saw a local Honda dealer that has a 2004 with (allegedly) ~8500 original miles on it. I realize that sitting idle (if not properly prepared for storage) can be as bad as high mileage - but am I incorrect in thinking that if it runs nicely and I can't find any evidence of fluid leaks, then all should be good, right?
If that's the case - it seems like I may be able to get in the GL1800 club for a price that I can manage and will have a bike that may last longer than me. And perhaps, by purchasing through a Honda dealer (although I have a few other reasons to do so) I may have some recourse if the bike shows any immediate signs of trouble...

Dealer is closed today - so I'll go look at the bike tomorrow and try to determine why it probably adheres to the saying: "if it sounds too good to be true - then it probably is".

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on such a low mileage bike vs perhaps a newer one with with more miles.
Also, I'd appreciate anything in particular I should look for when I do lay eyes on it.

I'm already planning to ask for a report on the status of all the recalls (and see if the frame welds is one of them)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can take a moment to impart a little wisdom!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcome(s)!
Sorry for the almost duplicate post...

If anyone has any sage advice regarding my first look at this potential "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is..." I'd sure appreciate it... I've not bought a used bike of this age before... Only bikes that were no more than a couple of years old, so the long term storage wasn't a concern.
I'm going with the assumption that if it runs well and I don't see any obvious leaks that the storage isn't a problem.

Additionally anything Goldwing specific to watch for would be great as well.
I saw a thread about the potential frame issues and used the VIN check on the Honda website. It showed no open recalls for the VIN... So, I presume it was built after the redesign, or it was repaired by a dealer.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I'm looking forward to becoming a true GL1800 rider and I'm counting on some of the advice and opinions to help me through the process...

And I have no doubt about meeting good folks - as the old slogan goes:
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda."

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,370 Posts
Welcome to the board. Be careful, look at the VIN tag on the left side of the frame down in the hole under the handlebars, if it says it’s build month and year are prior to June 04, it will have the old style frame with small gussets. This can lead to cracked and/or broken frame tubes under the battery on the left side and under the passenger footrest on the right side. If it was built prior to June that year, have the dealer warranty the frame tubes for cracking, if he won’t, then pass on it. This is a recent bike with a good example of what can happen. Scroll to post #16 of https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-g...rd/447303-2002-yellow-1800-a.html#post5571011

Note: the frame weld bulletins have nothing to do with the small tube cracking issue that has been seen on some bikes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much!
I've been reading many of the old postings on the frame issues but had yet to find out what wad the build date for the redesign. I've been doing some searching before making a new post that might trigger the "it's been discussed in dozens of threads, you should search before asking"

I really appreciate the info. And it's perfect timing...
Heading to the dealer shortly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I'd previously mentioned, I was concerned if the 2004 with ~8500 original miles was to good to be true.

I guess it wasn't, they'd already sold it by the time I arrived. Apparently there were 3 people waiting to see it when they opened the dealership this morning... And they said that didn't count the internet queries.

I guess I will find mine soon enough - and all of the great information I'm learning here will be extremely helpful as I continue my search.

Thanks for the help and the welcoming!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi I have a 2008 with 30000 miles been thinking about selling it also have a Zephyr trailer everything is in great shape it is a level 3 Gps and ABS. I live in Raleigh area let me know if you might be interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Deals

There are so many deals on 2006 and newer bikes which was the year for some significant updates. I personally would avoid a 2004 in favor of something at least a little newer. The price on oder bikes has gone down some with the release of the new 2018 model. When I was looking I wanted ABS but that is not an issue for many.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi I have a 2008 with 30000 miles been thinking about selling it also have a Zephyr trailer everything is in great shape it is a level 3 Gps and ABS. I live in Raleigh area let me know if you might be interested.
Hi awall!
Thanks for the offer - as of now, I've already got several 2006+ which I'm looking into that are closer to home. Also, I'm not particularly interested in the trailer.
But if you think you may be willing to do a deal that would entice me to travel ~350 miles - please feel free to PM me.

ETA: Hopefully I'm not coming across as rude - I'm not meaning to. I'd be genuinely interested in working with you if the price is better than I can find locally...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome(s)!
Sorry for the almost duplicate post...

If anyone has any sage advice regarding my first look at this potential "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is..." I'd sure appreciate it... I've not bought a used bike of this age before... Only bikes that were no more than a couple of years old, so the long term storage wasn't a concern.
I'm going with the assumption that if it runs well and I don't see any obvious leaks that the storage isn't a problem.

Additionally anything Goldwing specific to watch for would be great as well.
I saw a thread about the potential frame issues and used the VIN check on the Honda website. It showed no open recalls for the VIN... So, I presume it was built after the redesign, or it was repaired by a dealer.

Thanks again!

FYI, I bought a 2006 in 2016 that had only 2200 miles. I did a Mega Monty suspension upgrade from Traxxion. It now has 18000+ miles and a ton of smiles. Where are you located? We have a group coming to Maggie Valley in September for 5 days. Maybe you can meet us for a day of riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts