GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Gremlin Bell and want to find out where those of you that have one hung it on the 1800.

For those that do not know of the Gremlin bell, here is the legend of the bell:

"Legend has it that a small bell attached to your motorcycle, close to the ground, catches the Evil Road Spirits. :twisted: The little Gremlins live on your motorcycle causing all kind of mechanical problems. The cavity of the bell attracts these Evil Spirits, :twisted: but the constant ringing drives them insane and they lose their grip and fall to the ground. (Have you ever wondered where pot holes come from?)"

Also, it is said that the Bell is much more effective if someone gives it to you as a gift vs. you aquiring your own by purchase or otherwise. Nothing is said about you suggesting or hinting for one with your significent other, etc.

So, where is a good spot, :confused: close to the ground, that one could hang the bell on the Goldwing? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I have a trike. I mounted mine in the rear on the eye for the trailer chains. Nice and low to keep them Gremlins from latching on. Tom :doorag:

·
Registered
805 Posts
The rest of the legend states that the bell must be hung by the person who gives it to you.

I was given a bell by a very dear friend. She couldn't find a place to hang it, so she ended up putting it on one of the helmet locks. I gave one to a friend with a Triumph. That was easy. I hung it from one of the bottom mounting holes on the license plate.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mine is mounted on the right front crash bar..... and I can actually hear it ringing!!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rest of the legend states that the bell must be hung by the person who gives it to you.

I was given a bell by a very dear friend. She couldn't find a place to hang it, so she ended up putting it on one of the helmet locks. I gave one to a friend with a Triumph. That was easy. I hung it from one of the bottom mounting holes on the license plate.
OK, that is part of the legend I have never heard... thanks! :yes1:

·
Registered
289 Posts
A friend put ours on right engine guard. Must have worked hit a gaint pot hole sat and didnt do any damage:bow:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine is on the loop right in front of the front brake reservoir. I hear ringing almost constantly with horrible roads here in NC. And I have never heard that the person that gave you the bell must put it on the bike, but that someone must give it to you. You can't buy it for yourself.

·
Registered
424 Posts
People I ride with gave me two bells. I hung them off the helmut holders under the trunk.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Mines mounted to the left front of the engine guard.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I give these to my Harley riding friends.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hung!

Mine over the shifter! Tight fit but kept working in on in circles--stays right at the end of the rubber.
No chance of me hearing it ring; too many years of sirens, air horns, and pumps running.

Ya hear that youngsters? Protect your hearing!! :-(

·
Registered
539 Posts
Received mine from my son, hung it myself near the radiator drain hose if I recall. Gremlin's run for their lives when I approach.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Gremlin Bell - Hang on the lowest point possible. It keeps the little buggars from hitching a ride and drives the one that made it crazy and they fall off. Mine is on the lower engine guard.

Gremlin bells work best if given as a gift, the power doubles. I have never heard that the gift giver had to put it on, and have been reading the legend in various forms for a long time. Hey if it makes you feel fuzzy, why not?

Rememberance bells - are to be hung for all to see. That is to bring out awareness for those lost that the bell is honoring.

YMMV

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I keep mine in a junk drawer in the house...

It's bad luck to be superstitious. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts