GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody:
New member but old rider. Just moved up from an 84 1200 to an 03 1800. Bought it in LA and drove it home to Arizona. When I got home I decided to remove the covers and check everything over. Under the right engine cover there was a lot of oily grime on the engine towards the rear, nothing on the left side. I say oily but I don't know what it is just black a grimy. Any opinions, do I have a problem. Oil level is Ok and I can't see anything. Not familiar with the 1800 and it might be just road grime. Only thing that bothered me was that it was not on both sides. It's a new bike, and I can always take it to Honda.

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Wayne - during a oil change the oil is put in on the right side, so perhaps some oil was at some time spilled during the initial oil fillup and you have some dirt and dust and such that collected around the left over residue. I'd clean it up and then watch if you have any future problems or a reoccurrence, then if so go back to a authorized dealer to have them check it. Keep an eye on your oil level, but I seriously doubt you have a problem. Just my guess.

DaleC

·
Registered
824 Posts
Wayne,
I agree with Dale. Think he hit this nail on the head as I can't think of any other reason for your situation.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Oldguy, this remindes me of what I use to get on my '01 when I bought it new. The black grimmy stuff wasn't only under the cover, but all over the underside of the bike and on the front cowl, and down the exhaust pipes.
Black crud everywhere. After installing the front rotor covers, the crud stopped and has never came back. My conclusioin...brake dust from the front brakes.

Has, or did anyone else notice this, or anything similiar?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
The grimy correct answer is......

I would think the correct answer to the grimy situation under the side cover is left over cosmoline. My wing had this stuff seeping out from nooks and crannys for weeks after i took delivery. The solution is to wash the bike often using a soapy solution. Personally i like the turtle zip wax wash which puts on a nice shine with a simple washjob. My bike even had cosomoline in side the wheel nooks and crannys. JD :biker:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all. I will keep all those ideas in mind. I have cleaned it up and will watch it for future changes. Probably just the yips from a new owner.

Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.