GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one thing I notice when washing the Wing is the rear end around the license plate get down right grimey just like the rear window of a mini-van. Is there some kind of gadget or something that cuts down on road grime that collects there?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
My stomach hurts from laughing too much. :clap2:

Hey, Honey, When's the last time you washed back there?

I know,:wrong:
When you fart the turbulance makes things stick there!
My only suggestion is put some filters (diaper) in the mufflers?????

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda thought the thread would end up like this but I though if it does, it'll at least be funny if not informative.

Now, do I have to threaten to start an oil thread or does someone have an answer to my original question which I won't ask again for obvious reasons.

I'll do it, I really will....

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Please wash back there daily or everytime you plan a ride. This applies to several things:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
OK, Seriously - Maybe a mudflap to keep a lof of the grime/dirt off but the only other thing I can think of is a cleaner that lets dirt fall off, prevents dirt from sticking to the bike?

Most of the big bike owners use mudflaps for two reasons. One for keeping road debris from hitting the trailer and, two splashing up on the bike. I've even seen one wing with a complete fringe skirt like you see on RV's. It was wrappd all around the rear and sides of the bags. (Very long time ago.) :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
Grime

Steve,
I think it is inheirent for us 'yella' bike owners....The price we pay for having the fastest, prettiest etc.....:a13:

Seriously; A lot of it, on mine at least, was exhaust soot. I put turn-downs on it a couple weeks ago and it has helped a bunch. I generally do a quick after-ride wipe down with a product called 'Brillianize' and microfiber towel that keeps her looking pretty good. Use it at the museum (And the Smithsonian) I work at - works GREAT on windshields, as it is made specifically for acrylic/plexiglass type displays but safe on all surfaces. I am looking at some sort of mud flap for the front and back. Heard too many 'cracked fender' stories to put an extension on the front, so thinking maybe the black rubber type flaps with a brace on the inside (?) Wing stuff has some that interest me with gold/silver wing logo on them.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
aerodynamically the back of the wing is a dead air space..
..that is, a large vacuum is created behind the bike as you ride

road grime gets sucked into the vacuum and deposited on back of the bike.

Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts