GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about Grip Puppies for my Kawasaki Z900RS to lessen vibration and add a little comfort.

I know it's not likely that you've added these to your GoldWing, but perhaps on some other motorcycle?

I'm wondering how durable they are and how they perform in the rain. Seems like they would soak up water.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have used them on various bikes for over 30 years. The most recent set on my Goldwing were ten years old. Rain isn't an issue but I wear gloves all the time. After several years they seem to get kind of hard, for lack of a better word, but that doesn't affect the performance. They are cheap enough to replace every few years. The main reason I use them is to make the grips bigger and easier to manipulate. Wingstuff, a vendor on this board has them.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I had grip puppies on my Wing for a summer. I saw no wear on them at all in that short time. I took them off when it got cold but not for anything negative other than I have short fingers and with heavy gloves on couldn't comfortably reach the clutch or brake levers because of the little bit of extra size on the grips. Would I have them if I had longer fingers? For sure I thought they were a good product for the price. I wouldn't expect them to last forever but if good for a year well worth the price. I was riding in excess of 20K a year mostly in the summer back then.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have grip puppies on the Multistrada. Arthritis in hands, and both thumbs broken in the past. Definitely reduces vibration, and prevents hand and thumb pain.
I commute in all weather, have had no problems. The foam is the closed cell type, does not absorb water.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have grip puppies on my wing. Just put them on a couple weeks ago. I used them yesterday morning for the first time with my heated grips (only 48 degrees, just wanted to test them) and it may have taken a bit longer to heat up, but still heated well. Just a few days earlier we were setting heat records in the mid 90s and I was riding without gloves sometimes and liked them well in that situation too. I haven't had them long enough to comment on longevity or even rain. But so far I am liking them and they do add some cushion and are thicker easier to grip for me.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have had the shin grips from Shinhopples on my wing for 10 years and 100,000 miles now. They are thicker and cheaper than Grip puppies and do a great job. Mine are starting to get stiff as stated above and will get replaced this Winter during my 100,000 mile maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I know it's not likely that you've added these to your GoldWing, but perhaps on some other motorcycle?
Naah, in fact, many do add them, rather than the Kury covers - since these work better for those of us with slightly smaller hand sizes.

I'm wondering how durable they are and how they perform in the rain. Seems like they would soak up water.
Quite durable. I have a set that's two years old, and recently made a purchase and have a set in reserve. In the event one side gets a little ragged, I simply remove & replace.

I want to say I get about three to four years of use out of a pair.

Water absorption? Definitely not while riding; your hands will be on them protecting them to some degree.

Sitting in the parking lot at work getting rained on? Yeah, well, they will dry rather quickly, but as been stated the closed-cell foam doesn't allow a lot of water to get into them.

One of the better upgrades, in my opinion.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Have used them on 5 different bikes, including my current and previous Wing.

Well worth the minimal cost, especially for those of us with larger hands who suffer from consternation that Honda has gone to 3/4" dia. grips. The padding and extra diameter are a vast improvement over the OEM grips and the Puppies are compatible with heated grips.

Of course...vibration with a Goldwing is never an issue....>:)

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I have the ones Bulldog sells.....They are thicker than the grip puppies and last much longer....

My current pair have been on the Wing 6 years and still have a lot of life left in them...
I too bought from Bulldog. Just put them on my Wing Trike about a month ago. Last set were on the bike for 5 years. I noticed a difference right away.

Trick is to soak the whole grip in soapy water then slide them on. Let sit in sun for a few hours, and walaaaaa, you are good to go...or at least that is what worked for me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Who is this bulldog and how do we find him?
Two pages and no one has posted a link to these products?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like Grip Puppies and much more common among Goldwing riders than I thought. I'm going to try them on my Kawasaki Z900RS. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Although I never use them in the rain. I had grip puppies on my ZX-14. For casual riding they work great. I don't like them for sport riding though.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I tried grip puppies. I liked that they were thicker than stock. I did not like that they were so soft. It didn't feel right and I tended to over grip, which was tiring.

I then covered them with a piece of bicycle inner tube. That was great! They were a little more compressed which made them feel like titty grips from way back. Also, the inner tube was nice and grippy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts