GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one take the screws out of the end of the grips. The whole grip turns? Is an impact driver used?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You gotta hold the end piece and then turn the screw. the whole unit does turn unless you hold it tight while using the screw driver. should not take that much force to get it loose......maybe yours is rusted or sumum?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Richard, I think that your whole (entire) assembly is turning inside
the al. handle bar. I never got an answer as how to remove the
assembly. The retaining ring--clip, seems to be a (one time use item).
galewing

·
Registered
241 Posts
As Steve S says, you have to grip the endcap because it is keyed to the inside assembly. If yours it tight, there's a good chance someone used loc-tite on the screw. Hopefully they used the room-temperature removal variety so all you have to do is apply a little extra force. If they used the "permanent" type, you'll have to heat things :(
Why would anyone use loc-tite on such a trivial non-load-bearing fastener? All you have to do is have the endcap run away while you're riding down the highway and I guarantee you'll use loc-tite too. How do I know this? :roll:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep, Lost my right one while riding, and luckily for me it bounced once and then glanced off my right boot. I thought the front tire kicked up a rock, and kept going, only to find out when i pulled into the garage, I was missing the handlebar end! Luckily i remembered about where i was at and went back and found it, but it was all scratched up, so ordered a new one under warranty. That puppy is prettey heavy too, and am glad it didn't bounce up and catch the rear saddleback, cause that would have left a heck of a gouge I'm sure. Now I check 'em before each ride just to be sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts