GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sounds like you've got it sorted. (y)What is a Heat Troller, is it a product or a generic name?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have battled this same issue on my 2015 since I bought it new in 2014. Dealer has replaced entire wire harness, etc. I have since gone with a RDL seat and had them install their own heating system, thus bypassing the stock system. Installed the dummy load from electrical connections, grips worked fine till they didn't, which was a week or two. Shop taking it back in, again, to try and fix it, again. Not their fault, and I more than appreciate their attention on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Sounds like you've got it sorted. (y)What is a Heat Troller, is it a product or a generic name?
Product sold by Warm & Safe Heat-troller. Just wired to a relay and installed the control in the left pocket. The only reason I installed using a relay is because I did not realize there was "Key on" accessory post on the Fuse panel. If you choose to not connect via relay you would run the red wire to accessory post, black to ground or negative post on battery. The blue wire to yellow wire on the seat and white wire to white wire on the seat. And let me tell you I was able to take bike out this past weekend and the heat this thing generates is very impressive, so much so that I am thinking of wiring to the passenger seat and backrest as well. Only problem with that is my wife might want to have heat and I will not, guess who wins that battle. Will probably install a separate one for the wife. My point is I think the unit has the capacity to heat all three sections if you wanted to go that route.
For other riders wanting to do this same setup you will also need the "dummy seat load adapter" (second image) from Electrical Connections. https://electricalconnection.com/?s=dummy
Heat Troller.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i have an 05. bought a seat from an 06 bike that was heated. connected up a similar setup with a Heat troller type unit. did both front and back. Have the switch in the left glove box and the passenger in the rear left box protruding for access. it gets a little warm even on the lower settings so i alternate on and off when using it. I too ride most of the winter unless there is snow or ice (WI). i stop below 20 though. just not worth it then... :) however most of the time i forget to use it... :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts