GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a BT-3 on my 07 Premium Audio, and I don't like it. I love it. I added a mic splitter from now-defunct BikeMP3, but mic splitters are available from other vendors. I load my phone up with music, start Google Play Music, and I've got hours of music. I can answer the phone and talk while riding - the other party cannot tell I'm on the freeway on my motorcycle. I haven't been able to get voice dialing over Bluetooth to work on any device (that may just be me), but if you absolutely felt a burning desire to make a phone call while riding, you could mount the phone where you can operate it. I just pull over, dial, and drive off once connected. All operations of the Grom are done using the bike's factory stereo controls. Unfortunately, the song title/caller ID isn't shown on the LCD, but apparently Goldwing models with XM will show it. I'm very pleased with it.

There are several other riders with Groms on here, but most use the USB-3 model.

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for the information and threads. I do not have a CB and sold my helmets with speakers in them Just want to hear music out of the bike system. I replaced both the front and back stock ones with aftermarket. Unfortunately, the song title/caller ID isn't shown on the LCD, but apparently Goldwing models with XM will show it. I'm very pleased with it. This is the only negative that I am dealing with. I really want to see the titles on the screen but all I have read, not possible. I know I can use my cell but I like to use the controls on the bike. Decisions...decisions. Thanks again!!
Bruce

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The grom is $15 off with new discount. Going to try it. Sounds more reliable than the other options I read about.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, I tried to order it today. But the website would not accept either one of my email addresses. Tried to use the instant chat, but no one was there so they said it was shut down. I'll try again on Monday.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ordered and got Grom in about 3 days. Really fast delivery. About a level one install, easy. Putting up some pictures of hole, taped up connectors, routing of wire and display. Sounds so much better than the radio and easy to operate. Just plugged in one USB Flash Drive I had and it read up to 99 songs. Will make folders and get that working later. The only thing I do not like is it restarts at song one again but I can easily deal with that. For $130 two thumbs up for me. OF course they are sideways, Going to bed. sorry

Attachments

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Grom usb3

I have one and have used it for 3 years. I do not use the mic splitter. I actually connect my phone to my Zumo and then connect the headset to the Zumo for phone calls. I do have the bluetooth interface that I use to connect the output of the phone to the CD interface on the bike.

There is a limitation in my usage. That is if I setup the phone to put out USB audio, the GROM will not charge my phone fast enough to keep it going when I'm running Waze on the phone. However, that is really a USB issue and not one that GROM can solve. In general the GROM works OK, but especially on startup it is not perfect. If the GROM is shut down with the CD interface active on the Goldwing, sometimes it will not reconnect the bluetooth interface to my phone. If I shut down the GROM / BIKE with some audio source besides the CD selected and I have Google Play Music active on my phone when I select the CD interface for the first time after I start the bike, the connection rate is about 95% without having to do any fiddling. If I start the bike with the CD interface active many times it never makes the connection to the phone without powering stuff off. The order of operations is important for my setup. I actually would not want a 2012 - 2017 Goldwing because it does not have the CD interface.

However, with the GROM and my Freewire I can listen to any audio source on the bike or on my phone through my headset without doing anything but selecting the input on the audio panel. I use the GROM for Music, audio books and even alerts from my phone. I did have one bluetooth interface fail, but GROM replaced that for me under warranty. I have been using the GROM for nearly 3 years.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I installed the Grom 4 years ago, and love it here is why:

USB thumb drive for music can hold 100 albums/folders per track (my 2006 has 9 tracks) so I can hold 900 albums!!

No limitation to the size of thumb drive like J&M (I use a 128 GB micro USB).

CD-quality sound, record up to a 320 bit rate.

No special software to load music onto thumb drive.

Grom uses the CD port under the seat so you control everything using your radio CD controls.

Random play on a per track basis, for example: 100 albums/folders per track, let's say each folder has 12 songs. You can randomly play up to 1200 songs/track.

Plenty of system sound volume.

I looked for months before I purchased my unit, nothing even came close to the capability of the Grom.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Grom

My GROM is one of the reasons I don't have a 2012-2018 Goldwing. I like the flexibility provided by the GROM. It is not perfect, but it works really well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have had the BT3 for 5 years and not one problem with it, have the bluetooth with it also. Had the other brand that everyone uses before this and nothing but problems. You will like it, Ray

·
Registered
385 Posts
The J&M Digital Music Player (JMDMGL18E) Does what appears that the Grom does. I plug it in then load a 4Gig Flash drive with 4 folders, (CD2, CD3, CD4, and CD5). The root folder acts as CD1. Each folder can have up to 95 songs. Everything plays off the Honda's CD controls on the bike.

Now if you want to make a phone work with a J&M Headset. Someone posted pictures of making a connection to plug into the 5 Din Plug. Coming from the phone. Remember all phones come with ear plugs that have a built in mic. It would not be difficult to cut the ear pieces off and use those wires to make a stereo connection to the Honda system and run the mic from that along the boom to the helmet mic and tuck it inside the boot at the helmet. I did this years ago. Inside my helmet boot I had two mics. If you don't ride a passenger you can use the passenger helmet plug.

Currently, I have the phone bluetoothed to my GPS and can receive and make calls from the GPS Touch Screen. But, I'm not going to make outgoing calls while riding. I only have the setup to receive a call and then only if it seems to be important.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts