GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question.

Will Grip glue from the dealer hold the Grommets in place.
Since it is rubbber to Metal.

Thanks
CTWing

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
I didna think o' th' zip tie! Good idear! I jest got my package of spare grommets from Hal. I ordered one each of teh three missing varlets andthen two spares of each to have. I figgured on us'n Old Yeller glue to fix them, but I may go with th' zips.

prs

·
Registered
469 Posts
CT

I siliconed my grommets in almost three years ago, & they are still in place, & flexible. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
990 Posts
You could tie them up with dental floss. It is very thin and strong. It won't take up any space fot the tab to fit into the grommet :)

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
CT,

I used silicone last year and a few came out this winter when I pulled the covers.

So I am going to silicone again, and then tie them in with dental floss.

Dawg

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the very thin wire tie plan sounds like a fix

i will try that when i play with the covers next time

my bike came from the dealer with two missing when new

see how hard they are to keep track

loren

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
And don't forget the two grommets when the instrument cover is pulled. I did not even realize they were there until one was missing when the cover was going back on. Lucky for me it stayed in the panel hole. The bread tie wraps with plastic slide easy enough.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bulldog, ole bud

I cleaned around th grommet holes & th inside of th grommets with mineral sprits before liberally applyin silicone to th inside of th grommets & spinnin them once they were in place. I've probably taken th covers off ah hundered times since then, no problem. I always spray th grommets with windex or Honda Spray polish before replacin th cover after removal. I did th ones in th dash th same way. Yer Pal :mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts