GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a good place to purchase replacement grommets for the side covers? I recently purchased a "03" gold wing and the side covers were loose after inspection I discovered some grommets missing, I did a search but didn't come up with much. I did check at HomeDepot & Menard's but didn't find what I need, Thanks msn

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Direct Line, the sponsor of this board has them. For such an inexpensive item, though, it would be nice if you can find them locally to save the handling cost.

2w

·
Registered
931 Posts
I bought a pack of Big Bike assorted replacement grommets from Direct Line a few years ago.

Never had to use any of them until last week. Because of a fairly recent discussion on this site regarding the astronomical cost of replacing lost side covers. I thought I'd check my grommets last week just for grins. MUCH to my surprise and dismay, I was missing the two rear grommets on the left (painted) side cover. I was just about missing the rear most gromment on the right (painted) side cover! I was really amazed by this and thankful I hadn't lost a side cover.

My point: check your grommets! I think I paid about $7 for the Big Bike asssortment a few years ago. Even with another $7.50 for shipping, that's mega-CHEAP compared to having to replace a lost side cover, from what I understand!

BTW, some years back I read a tip from Mr. Harmon that applying silicon grease to the nipples -- or bosses -- saves grommets since the side covers slip into place pretty easily. The silicon on my side covers had dried out or been displaced. I applied fresh silicon to all of the side cover bosses.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The local independant motorcycle shop has a pack of them here for about $4. Might want to check with anyone in your area that sells chrome parts and accessories for the Goldwing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Honda Shop.................when you get them put a little silicone spray on them before you use them....it will make the side covers seat a little better without dislodging the groments.......

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
also after the silicone.....zip tie them.....keeps them there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts