GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missouri DOT has gone nuts!

They are cutting grooves in the roads all over MO.

Some are no bother.. but others are downright dangerous.

Especially if you are on a smaller motorcycle.

Most are annoying as hell.

Do they cut grooves in your state?

They wouldn't be so bad if they went across the road - - but they go perpendicular to the roadway, and your motorcycle tries to follow them. Not good when the grooves are crooked!

OK.. end of my rant!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Missouri DOT has gone nuts!

They are cutting grooves in the roads all over MO.

Some are no bother.. but others are downright dangerous.

Especially if you are on a smaller motorcycle.

Most are annoying as hell.

Do they cut grooves in your state?

They wouldn't be so bad if they went across the road - - but they go perpendicular to the roadway, and your motorcycle tries to follow them. Not good when the grooves are crooked!

OK.. end of my rant!
How do you cut grooves that are perpendicular to the roadway and not cross the road. If they run in the same direction, it is said to be cur parallel to the surface. Perpendicular would be forming a 90 angle with the road surface or going up toward the sky. Now that would be a rough ride.

DanL

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ohio

Ohio does it some places. Usually if road is prone to not draining properly. Can be rough to hold in place--makes me wiggle! Probably not that dangerous when dry but feels funny.
I've seen signage warning/advising of grooved pavement ahead--that helps. Angled rubber railroad crossings when wet are more scary!!:22yikes:

·
Registered
7,898 Posts
rain grooves

They are rain grooves, here's an old thread discussing it from 2006 -

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141609

I remember long time ago they were all over California, then there was a public outcry and a couple of CHP motor officers went down because of them. Then they started getting rid of them.

Unfortunately, memories are short and several states are putting them in again. Here in Michigan they are starting to pop up whenever they repave a major road. I personally don't like them, but they do help with moderate rain IF channels are made occasionaly cut towards the sides of the road to allow the water to drain. Otherwise IMO all it does is make your tires squirm and have a place for water to collect and not run off, defeating the purpose of making "rain grooves". Really nice in the winter, water collects in the grooves, freezes and cracks the pavement, and makes nice little ice skating lines to slide on.

New traffic engineers that aren't old enough to have real life experience or learn from mistakes of the past.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Are you talking about new construction or existing roads? If you are are talking about existing roads my guess is they are just milling down the bumps to make the roads level again. Milling does put grooves in the pavement, but it is better than running over large bumps that can launch you from your seat. With the hotter temps the pavement tend to heave up to let moisture escape, when that happens you end up with a blow-up. I work with the IDOT just to the north of you and we have been milling down the bumps for the last three weeks as well as repairing blow-ups, which usually occurs after we have went home for the day. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
There are grooves and then...there are GROOVES.
Rain grooves are not quite so bad but around here they frequently cut/scrape deep, wide grooves in an asphalt roadway prior to re-surfacing. Unfortunately, the great state of Alabama sometimes runs out of money for a project or, for some other reason never get around to the re-paving...after they have screwed up the road surface. :eek:4: Really sucks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Agreed, the grooves before resurfacing do suck big time !! There should be a time limit on how long they can leave it that way before finishing the project.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I just rode I 70 across the state in both directions didn't see any grooves on that road or else missed them all.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I noticed around here, Jefferson City area, they put an extra deep and wider groove right in the right and left tracks of the road, where we like to ride. a real PITA

·
Registered
57 Posts
YESSS!!! I just picked up my Wing in Little Rock two days ago and drove it home - I-67 to I-55 and there were long stretches of new hwy with two parallel groves in each lane.
They are not deep, but just narrower than the Wings tires and angles a bit - picture a side view of a cupcake.

If there are any motorcycle groups in that states, they should raise the issue. As should Oregon that have raised, rounded lane dividers. Both are very dangerous for bikes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Georgia and Tennessee both cut grooves in roads before they resurface them. There are some worse than others, and sometimes I think they do it just to slow traffic down. I know where ther is a small section that has been cut up and left for 15 years, Im sure they will get to in when they have time.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
We get grooves before resurfacing all the time. They just wiggle you around a little bit - no big whoop. If wet, just slow down a little around curves. Never had any (yet) that were a problem - you still have to watch for larger tearouts, though, just as you would potholes.

·
Registered
19,462 Posts
Agreed, the grooves before resurfacing do suck big time !! There should be a time limit on how long they can leave it that way before finishing the project.
Agreed. Some are really bad

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hopefully the grooves are temporary...... I rode to STL today (stayed south of the city) & did not cross any grooves.

For several yrs the US 67/I-55 cloverleaf was grooved to the point you almost felt "locked in" to whatever groove you first encountered & steering out of it to merge into traffic was something that definitely got your attention - ea. & every time !

The grooves were finally paved over about a yr ago & smooth as silk now.

adios - Dave / Farmington

1 - 16 of 16 Posts