GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Anybody knows where this particular ground lug is physically located??

This is an extract from gl1800 the maintenance manual Wiring diagram section (23) on page 24

Many thanks

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Fred H will be a better resource than me.

It appears the audio and CB share the same ground. I can't tell what the connector number is from you picture, but if you can find the common connector, go to "component locatation" in the back of the manual, and you can locate the connector and trace the ground.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Under the tank

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
That is the main chasis ground for the vehicle and the tank has to be removed, or at least raised up to access it.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
That is the main chasis ground for the vehicle and the tank has to be removed, or at least raised up to access it.

What he said..... :agree:

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can get to it if you pull the alternator out.
This can be done without moving the tank at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Confused !!!!

I am a bit confused.

According to the wiring diagram there are 2 wires on that lug and according to ghump this lug is connected to the main chassis ground for the mororcycle.

If it is the case there will be more than 1 lug connected to that physical location, would it be possible to expect all ground lugs to be connected at the same place on the chassis under the fuel tank???

If not my question is for Waldo; I appreciate your info (81. Top rear of engine fuel tank removed) and would like to ask if it is possible for you to share the source via PM, I am a technical person that like to get to the bottom of things.

I am asking because I really need to look at that particular lug mentionned on page 23-24 of the 05 service manual and before taking the bike apart I want to get reassured that I am looking at the right place.

Thanks again

Hermann

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Check out this report from Fred Langa who locates and cleans the main ground block. He pulled the tank to access it. He's got lots of pictures and narrative.

I wish I had seen Fred's post before last weekend when I had my tank out. BTW, once you've had the tank out, it's definately not as intimidating.

http://fredlanga.blogspot.com/2009/04/anti-zen-motorcycle-repair.html

Tim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check out this report from Fred Langa who locates and cleans the main ground block. He pulled the tank to access it. He's got lots of pictures and narrative.

I wish I had seen Fred's post before last weekend when I had my tank out. BTW, once you've had the tank out, it's definately not as intimidating.

http://fredlanga.blogspot.com/2009/04/anti-zen-motorcycle-repair.html

Tim

Thanks Tim,
that post from Fred is just GREAT and I will use it as a reference when I decide to remove the tank. ( I would need a couple of rainy days)

Hermann

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I am a bit confused.

According to the wiring diagram there are 2 wires on that lug and according to ghump this lug is connected to the main chassis ground for the mororcycle.

If it is the case there will be more than 1 lug connected to that physical location, would it be possible to expect all ground lugs to be connected at the same place on the chassis under the fuel tank???
The answer is yes. As a technical person, you already know that wiring diagrams rarely are drawn in a way that represents any physical location. There are a number of grounds that attach at that ground lug under the tank.

For the longest time, from reading all the posts about that ground lug, I had this thing in my head about a major teardown if I ever needed to get to those grounds. In reality, if all you need to do is tighten them or clean up the connections, it is fairly easy to just take out the tank bolts and lift the tank high enough to reach the lug.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I would like to issue a very serious warning about one thing. In the link to Fred Langa's website, he talks about how he added a ground wire from the lug to the battery as added insurance. Many people have done this mod over the years.

This seemingly innocent modification is in reality potentially very dangerous, and I strongly recommend against it. How could that be? After all, it's just a duplicate ground, right?

If at some point the bike's main ground were to ever come loose, or become resistive due to something like corrosion, this added ground will become the ground path for the bike's entire electrical system, and that includes the starter and alternator. Electricity always takes the path of least resistance.

With the amount of current that an alternator can supply to the battery, and how much a starter can draw, it would not take much to completely melt the insulation around that ground. Although it is only a ground, it will undoubtedly be touching items like that plastic tank and other wiring. Since there is no fuse to protect that wire, it could get as red as the wires in your toaster, and cause major damage to your bike, not to mention get you killed. The very scenario that you are trying to protect against would fry your bike if it were to actually ever happen.

You could always fuse the added ground wire, which would make it safe, but since a fuse is resistive, it could conceivably create a ground loop down the road, causing noise in the audio. You could also just use a heavier wire, but it would have to be the same gauge as your battery cables.

Do not ever do modifications to a vehicle's wiring like this unless you are extremely knowledgeable about electronics. Everyone thinks they always have a better way than what the factory did, and blame things that they perceive as wrong on poor design or cost cutting. The reality is that many of these things are done based on solid electrical design practices. Don't try to outsmart the manufacturer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts