GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six riders from our church-affiliated motorcycle ministry just completed a SS1000. We did not heed some of the advice we received, but still completed it without incident.

We covered 1,150 miles, leaving northcentral Ohio, traveling through WVA, VA, NC, SC, TN and KY. Total time was 23:40 and mileage 1,150. Eleven fuel stops and a slightly longer dinner stop. No sleep -- everyone stayed awake and reasonably alert. We encountered 100 degree temps, skirted a few thunderstorms (never got wet) and cut through fog in the middle of the night in Kentucky.

Here are the tips we disregarded with no ill-effects:
1) Instead of getting up early and on the road, we left mid-morning. None of us are "early morning" people.
2) The first 100 miles were on 2-lane road (albeit really good, and deserted road)
3) We rode as a group, rather than individually.
4) We chose a route that took us into severe heat (but also the nicest scenery and roads).

Here are the tips we heeded that worked well (plus a few of my own):
1) Constantly drank water
2) Took it easy on sugar and caffeine
3) Wore riding pants rather than jeans. Also, the LD shorts are amazing. No Monkey Butt and no pain.
4) Took regular doses of Aleve.
5) Wore a wet neck kerchief and kept a cold water bottle inside my riding jacket.
6) On deserted, 3 lane 1-75 in the middle of the night we rode 3 abreast in two groups. This meant no headlight glare from the person behind and illuminated the road ahead. In the rare cases where a vehicle overtook us we of course formed back into a staggered line. This likely would catch the eye of a LEO, but being a church group,we of course obeyed all traffic laws :)
7) Used the passenger boards to hook my heels. Really comfortable, alternative riding position.
8) Listened to an entire 8 hour book on tape during the overnight hours.
9) Pandora radio rocks! I particularly recommend listening to "Outlaw Country" channel when riding through WVA -- just seems to be appropriate.:)
10) Watch out for Truck Stop of America salad bar -- it is nasty, though everything on the menu being "all you can eat" does have a certain appeal (but not on an IronButt).
11) Goldwing is the ultimate touring machine. Three of our guys were on big HD touring bikes, which look and sound great, but they aren't a Wing. They were jealous, even if they would not admit it....

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
congrats....

·
IronMan
17,866 Posts
Have old sayin whatever works i personally am a coffee freak not much on water on wing ( will get bottle of water in hot weather n chug it on gas stop) i like to ride at nite if been on same roads before in daytime ( same scenery) been to ohio over 50 times on rt 77 trouble i've found is i want to outrun headlites not a good thing when tired lot of elephants out there lol have done 2 straight trips on wing melbourne fl to madison ohio 1060 miles 18 hours for both if tired you can stop for a 3 hour nap be safe enjoy ridin

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Congrats on the successful ride!

However, I sense some defiance in your report. Apparently you asked for advice at some point and decided that some of it was BS. Will your advice to prospective Ironbutt riders be to do things the way your group did it?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
:congrats:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on the successful ride!

However, I sense some defiance in your report. Apparently you asked for advice at some point and decided that some of it was BS. Will your advice to prospective Ironbutt riders be to do things the way your group did it?
Good question. I was not intending to be defiant but merely to point out that it is possible to deviate from conventional wisdom and still successfully complete the ride without ill-effect. But as in all things YMMV .

Before the ride I was a bit apprehensive because i did not plan the ride. I did note to the organizer my concerns based on what i had read by searching the topic. He is an experienced long distance rider and planned the trip his way. My choice was to not go or to go with the idea i would drop out if i got too hot, tired, etc. I was pleasanly surprised this did not happen.

All that said i still think that in a perfect case early departures, solo rides, etc are good advice. But, if this is not possile the ride can still be done successfully.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
That deserves a great big WAY TO GO!!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: for all 6.

Are you all going to send in the data to IBA and get certified?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That deserves a great big WAY TO GO!!!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: for all 6.

Are you all going to send in the data to IBA and get certified?

Thanks! Yes, we were meticulous about keeping receipts and records and will submit. But, the biggest award is knowing that we did it!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Good question. I was not intending to be defiant but merely to point out that it is possible to deviate from conventional wisdom and still successfully complete the ride without ill-effect. But as in all things YMMV .

Before the ride I was a bit apprehensive because i did not plan the ride. I did note to the organizer my concerns based on what i had read by searching the topic. He is an experienced long distance rider and planned the trip his way. My choice was to not go or to go with the idea i would drop out if i got too hot, tired, etc. I was pleasanly surprised this did not happen.

All that said i still think that in a perfect case early departures, solo rides, etc are good advice. But, if this is not possile the ride can still be done successfully.
Oh, heck, I don't mind a little defiance. When I rode a 48/10 a few years back I did it without any electronic devices except a cell phone just to prove it was possible in this age of gadgetry. If you look at any respectable ld rider's bike these days you'll notice they have more gizmos than the space shuttle. And yeah, I've broken more than a few of the rules in the IBA's Archives of Wisdom and lived to tell about it.

Have fun riding!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Congrats to all, especially the non-Wing riders. :shock:

The guys who get my total respect are the folks who do a SS1000 on bikes like a Sportster or an older HD, or ?

Still got 2 LD rides on my bucket list: 2k in 48 and the 50cc. I better hurry though, I don't seem to be getting any younger. :oops:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats! You'll remember this ride forever.

But riding 3 abreast.... AT NIGHT!!!!!
My God, I don't even have the nerve to ride 2 abreast at high noon.

Sounds terribly risky to me.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Congrats and nice report. You did what works FOR YOU. Good for you.

23+ hours on the road!?! Arghhhh... :eek:4:

I was whipped in 19. Way to go!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Congrats to all, especially the non-Wing riders. :shock:

The guys who get my total respect are the folks who do a SS1000 on bikes like a Sportster or an older HD, or ?

Still got 2 LD rides on my bucket list: 2k in 48 and the 50cc. I better hurry though, I don't seem to be getting any younger. :oops:

You could start your 50cc in JAX and by the time you get to San Diego, probably in less than 48, you can pick them both off. Then do the 50cc on the way back for a 100ccc and by the time you get home you will probably qualify for a ss5000 and the 100ccc.

Sleddog and his buddy did the 100ccc 2 up on a wing then Sleddog did enough the following day to pick off the ss5000.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats! You'll remember this ride forever.

But riding 3 abreast.... AT NIGHT!!!!!
My God, I don't even have the nerve to ride 2 abreast at high noon.

Sounds terribly risky to me.
To clarify, it was a 3 lane road -- each bike had its own lane. Now 3 in 1 lane -- that would be risky!

Thanks for the comments from everyone. I am thinking of leading one of my own for the people who missed the cut (ride was limited to 6 bikes). Was thinking of letting riders come along (were banned on previous ride) and doing it by the book with early start and all interstate roads. Also, ride in a cooler area and keep the mileage to just over 1,000. Should be a bit easier, though still challenging.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Congrats on the completion of a safe riding event.
Thanks for sharing the tips. :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts