GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--

So let's say we have a group of ten bikers and they are all speeding about ten miles per hour over the limit. A police car pulls up in the rear and puts on lights and siren. Here are some choices:

1. The rear rider stops and the cop stops with him and gives him a ticket while every one else keeps going and waits at the next town for the guy pulled over.

2. The cop stops him and everyone else also stops and gets a ticket.

3. The cop moves on past the last couple of bikes and motions for them to pull over. The last couple of bikers turn around and go back a ways and come later. Those bikers in the very front keep going to the next town.

4. The cop moves to the front of the group and motions them over, but most of the bikers turn around since the cop is a quarter of a mile ahead and go back a ways if they were not near the front.

I'm not suggesting running away from a cop, but if you haven't been specifically pulled over, I don't consider it running if you stay away from those who are pulled over.

What are your thoughts?

--

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Probably depends on how the cops work the situation. I was caught in a multiple vehical speedtrap near Topeka, KS in 1986. They had cars in front that pulled into I-70 and everyone had to slow down as they blocked the interstate, then they had cars that pulled in behind, then the ones in front stopped as they herded everyone off to the shoulder. 100 vehicals got a ticket in my estimation. Something really bad, like 65mph in a 55 zone, and I bet some were doing 75, some right at 55, but they didn't care, just cite all 100 for 65 in a 55 zone. Don't remember the exact specs on that, but they more or less stole my money I alloted for motel in KC. Never forget that as long as I live.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That situation happened to me.
6 bikes in the group.
Cop with radar was at the bottom of a downhill, after we passed he came after us. Me and 2 others pulled over the rest 3 took off. :crying:
First thing cop said was, "your buddies were jerks leaving you guys", I agreed. He gave us a warning and sent us on our way. :smile2:
Now here's the cool thing, we played along that the Cop gave us tickets. The 3 that left us felt sorry and bought us lunch. After they paid we told them the truth, hehehe. >:)

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
--

So let's say we have a group of ten bikers and they are all speeding about ten miles per hour over the limit. A police car pulls up in the rear and puts on lights and siren. Here are some choices:

1. The rear rider stops and the cop stops with him and gives him a ticket while every one else keeps going and waits at the next town for the guy pulled over.

2. The cop stops him and everyone else also stops and gets a ticket.

3. The cop moves on past the last couple of bikes and motions for them to pull over. The last couple of bikers turn around and go back a ways and come later. Those bikers in the very front keep going to the next town.

4. The cop moves to the front of the group and motions them over, but most of the bikers turn around since the cop is a quarter of a mile ahead and go back a ways if they were not near the front.

I'm not suggesting running away from a cop, but if you haven't been specifically pulled over, I don't consider it running if you stay away from those who are pulled over.

What are your thoughts?

--
Don't be the last rider . That was easy :kiss:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I almost always ride solo, but if I were riding with somebody else and he got pulled over, I would stop too. On that (ahem) rare occasion when I do ride at a rate above the posted speed limit I'm willing to accept the fine without malice toward the officer who is just doing his job. I have to admit my son is a state trooper. Just about every day he has to deal with stupid a$$holes who think the laws are only meant for the other guy.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I have a somewhat tangential question along these lines. You are riding solo, but following traffic that is also exceeding the speed limit. The first vehicle is pulled over, do you stop? I have had this happen, but did not pull over. I may be a jerk! Correction: I am a jerk, but was I wrong in continuing on?

I also agree that if I am given a citation for speeding, and I was, I would be a jerk to complain about the officer doing his job. I believe in sucking it up and taking your medicine.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
We were ATVing in the Colorado Rockies and were illegally riding down a Colorado Highway. You can’t ride on highways there even though we were street legal were we were from. Anyway, we all stopped. The Guy gave us all the lecture and asked us for a volunteer on who was getting the ticket. He said to just split the fee amongst us and send it in.

That’s what we did.

Lots of rules in Colorado for ATVs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Original post quote: “I don't consider it running if you stay away from those who are pulled over.”

Above OP used the term “I don’t” and correctly didn’t say “The law doesn’t”. If everybody is speeding as OP states, then everybody (everybody is the group of bikes which is considered a brotherhood) should get a ticket without complaint.

Do we raise our children to come up with every excuse and or consider all avenues of escape from the house rules that we as parents applied over the years. Or have we now become the product of parents that had no rules so we think cheap excuses or flight plans are the right choice.

Why not everybody take their issued ticket and thank the officer for possibly saving their lives and ask the officer to meet the group in the next town so the group can buy the officer lunch. After all, this is America where we can do anything we want as long as we follow the rules.

Do we want our cops to turn their backs or ignore people they observe violating the laws we all established? I think not. I speed. And when I do, I take the risk of a pink slip.

As jfink said, take the medicine. Remember, not all medicine taste good, but it makes us better. IMO

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Until you are stoppped and the Officer explains the reason for the stop, you can't assume its for the violation you know you are commiting. As a young driver I thought I was being pulled over for loud mufflers.....it turned out my left rear wheel was about to depart the vehicle and the Officer was looking out for me and other drivers on the road. A friend was pulled over for what he thought was expired registration, but there had been a domestic violence incident in the area and the Officer wanted to make sure he wasn't the perp fleeing the scene. If you are stopped, Yes Sir, No Sir works well......you would be surprised how may people talk their way INTO a summons or arrest by their attitude. Also keep in mind how many times you get away with traffic violations.....the one time you get stopped certainly does not equal the number of times you don't.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
My guess is that by time he pull up to the front of the group that his cars camera has already captured the license plates of all of the following riders. It will probably result in charges more than speeding, so I would probably pull over. If I was the leader and he pulled over the last rider, I doubt that I would know it for some time and would probably have continued riding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind is that back in "the good old days" without dash cams, body cams, GPS trackers and everybody filming everything with their cell phones, Officers had a lot more discretion. If I was still active, everything would be done by the book.....I'm not going to jeopardize my career just to give someone a break.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
First off, I guess I'm pretty lucky; I'm close to having to take off my boots to count all the times I have been pulled over and also by many different law enforcement agencies. Yet I have never paid for a ticket (although I have had a couple warning notes given to me). Actually it has been a few years since I have been pulled over. Perhaps I was a victim of profiling when I was younger.

I wouldn't do any of the actions. It's the 21st century and camera are everywhere (including the front of the LE vehicle) and are all high definition. You probably wouldn't do so well in court if the video is played and it appears you are fleeing.

I always try to be the second (third, fourth) most interesting thing to pull over on the road. That tactic (as well as riding the stereotypical old man's boring bike) seems to work.

·
Registered
468 Posts
In Kansas I got stopped for 6 over and was given a warning ticket. I was told to not do more than 4.5 over posted speed on interstate. State Trooper said if I got pulled again for speeding within 24 hours of the first warning, I’d be taken to see the judge and have to explain why! Needless to say I was only 2 over the rest of the trip

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If the LEO pulls over the last guy, then yes keep going. If he motions everyone over then yes, everyone pull over. If the last guy was exceeding the speed limit, then it is assumed that the group was doing the same or slightly more mph than the last guy. Depends on the LEO and the Judge.

Reactions: Shiv

·
Registered
48 Posts
Simple answer is don't break the law. It is that simple. I am a Texas State Trooper and it amazes me how, in my 20 years, how lawless and inconsiderate the world has become. It used to be people took responsibility for their actions. Now days, it is always someone else's fault.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Probably depends on how the cops work the situation. I was caught in a multiple vehical speedtrap near Topeka, KS in 1986. They had cars in front that pulled into I-70 and everyone had to slow down as they blocked the interstate, then they had cars that pulled in behind, then the ones in front stopped as they herded everyone off to the shoulder. 100 vehicals got a ticket in my estimation. Something really bad, like 65mph in a 55 zone, and I bet some were doing 75, some right at 55, but they didn't care, just cite all 100 for 65 in a 55 zone. Don't remember the exact specs on that, but they more or less stole my money I alloted for motel in KC. Never forget that as long as I live.

That's exactly why I wont ride in groups. Plus, if one or more riders go down, it ends up like pins in a bowling alley, you all go down. :crying:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have to admit my son is a state trooper. Just about every day he has to deal with stupid a$$holes who think the laws are only meant for the other guy.
You mean that's not true? Lol! You should be very proud of your son, it takes a special person to want to be a police officer in this day and age. We should always keep in mind that the officers are enforcing the law, they don't make them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts