GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, a Wing came in, and after test riding it, I described the customers noise as a "growl in all gears during deceleration with clutch in or out." I should also say that the growl was most quiet when riding in a natural position. Move head forward and it was loudest, move head rearward and it was less noisy then more forward and much louder then in the natural position. After the test ride I wrote on the work order "might be coming from final drive.

Next I put it on its center stand, started it and put it in 1st gear. The growl was very present, and with a stethoscope it sounded like it was coming from the final drive. With the engine off and in 'N', if the rear tire was turned by hand, and it could be heard as well as felt from the final drive. After removing the drain-plug and inspecting for metal fragments and only finding the normal gray like putty, is it a final drive problem, or is it all channeling from the drive-shaft, or engine. Humm ... just had a trans repair, noise louder more forward, can feel and hear noise in final drive, but no metal shavings ... what the heck !!!

So the final drive had to come out to separate it from the rest. Nothing could be found with the drive shaft, but if I spun the final drive one-way, sure enough, there was a noise. Also, nothing could be felt when spinning the engine's output shaft in 'N.'

So the customer, expecting to pay for a transmission repair all over again, agreed to have the final drive replaced with a trike take-off, and re-test ride to see if all or some of the noise is gone. Unfortunanly with some symptoms (noises, vibrations, pulls, wind-noises, and water leaks (car)), those repairs are always a process of elimination. Fortunately for this customer, once the final-drive was installed, and after a test ride, no more noise :)

JustWings is beginning to get a lot more out-of-state repairs. In my shop currently is this one that was shipped from VA, a create-motor shipped from MD for trans repair, and next week one is being shipped from CA for an ABS light that remains light.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'm curious - what is the "normal gray like putty" in the final drive? Was that the color of the drain plug, the interior of the hub, the color of the final drive fluid :oops: or something else?

·
Vendor
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious - what is the "normal gray like putty" in the final drive? Was that the color of the drain plug, the interior of the hub, the color of the final drive fluid :oops: or something else?
I'm not a chemist, so I can only speculate. But I'm sure the grayish like putty is made up of very fine metallic particles all compacted into the small void area on top of the magnet. Probably because there is a magnet there, all the oil get squeezed leaving only fine metal particles that have all become magnetized. The putty like substance is very normal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Greg, a semi related question if you don't mind. I know the drive train is within it's travel limits but it seems to me the U-Joints would be at a steep angle when on the center stand. Is it needless worry? When I had my F6B and would run it in gear on the center stand it seems to be clunky as the rear spun. I have not done it with the Wing.
Just wondering ???

·
Vendor
16,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg, a semi related question if you don't mind. I know the drive train is within it's travel limits but it seems to me the U-Joints would be at a steep angle when on the center stand. Is it needless worry? When I had my F6B and would run it in gear on the center stand it seems to be clunky as the rear spun. I have not done it with the Wing.
Just wondering ???
For me I'd call, and we're probably talking about the same noise, your "clunky" more of a knocking noise. Yes, 5th gens can be like that on a center stand especially as the mph increases, or the rear tire spins faster, which will usually happen in higher gears or maybe higher RPMs in 1st. For the most part, there should be no nocking or growling in 1st gear at idle.

Try it with yours. Once it reaches operating temp, put it on a center stand, shift it into 1st and let the clutch out. Be sure to be at idle and report back with your results. While at idle, you'll probably find that the knocking will begin to develop more like in 4th, or 5th.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Clunking on center stand in gear is usually normal gear lash due to no drag on drive train. Use some braking to load down the drive train and see if you still get clunking/growling effect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts