GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i bought a 08 Wing with just 15000 miles on it.On cold start up i hear to me is a growling noise??After warm up it sounds ok.Is this normal or should i take it to a dealer.No warrenty.Thank's for any info i may get
Bill :bow:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It's the alternator drive damper. I have a 08 that has done it since it was new. The distrubing thing is that some do it worse than others. It does not mean that you will have a problem. Mine has 20,000 and sounds the same as it did new.

Jeff..

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
You would sure think after 10 model years Honda would get this thing working right.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Tis the sound of power, enjoy.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank,s guys.I had an 04 don,t recal the noise.If it dosn,t get worse i,ll just run the wheels of it.
Bill

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Hi guys i bought a 08 Wing with just 15000 miles on it.On cold start up i hear to me is a growling noise??After warm up it sounds ok.Is this normal or should i take it to a dealer.No warrenty.Thank's for any info i may get
Bill :bow:
Bill.the next time you hear this "growling" noise.Pull the clutch lever in all the way in and listen for a sound change.do this a couple times to see if you can make/stop the noise?.

I've had a ACG (alternator dampener go out,and it doesn't get quieter).Yours sounds like the clutch basket rattling until the oil pressure comes up to quiet it.

The 1800 clutch works off two things.
1) clutch spring (we call it a pressure plate) that holds the discs/plates together.
2) oil pressure valve.it's job is to assist the clutch spring with oil pressure to lock up the discs/plates,to a point then the oil pressure is bled off at a certain pressure through the oil regulator/pressure valve.

Hearing your clutch basket rattle is quite normal and nothing can or will be done for this noise by Honda.So going to a dealer is a waste of time.

The good thing is you'll only hear the noise at start up when cold.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank's Rocky the noise does go away when i pull in the clutch.I don,t know why i never heard it on my 04?Is it a different desighn now or was i just use to it before
Bill

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I'm almost afraid to ask this, but what kind and weight of oil do you have in it? When the clutch is "out" all of the stuff in the tranny is moving and churning up oil.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Waldo 10 w 40 from Honda

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thank's Rocky the noise does go away when i pull in the clutch.I don,t know why i never heard it on my 04?Is it a different desighn now or was i just use to it before
Bill
Bill.We all would like to think theses 1800's are identical.But like people.each bike/engine parts have personalities.

Meaning that some clutch baskets/Alternators/ACG (alternator dampeners) seem to make more noise than others.this point is more so from guys like yourseklf who owned other 1800's and didn't hear such a noise or it wasn't as loud on previous 1800's.

So in short-there is nothing Honda will do about this noise.But at least now you know what it is and not worry about it causing further trouble.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Bill.We all would like to think theses 1800's are identical.But like people.each bike/engine parts have personalities.
Exactly Rocky, an Old Biker told me he said " the difference between cars and bikes is , you could have two bikes of the same including years and one will handle differently or run differently than the other"

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
:agree::agree::agree:

Every bike is different
Every rider on the same bike is different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts