GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I took off the front silver cover to Change the oil and filter yesterday I noticed everything was kind of messed up with it. all the plastic was not put back in order and the black over some proportion valve and other parts was not installed correct. The results were broken outer tabs on the front silver cover, yeah Berts supposably Goldwing tech, anyways I thought about it over night and made the center two the shoulder bolt connection for that black upper cover and the outer two short push rivets to hold the tabs from the lowers.

D7F09C80-7DDE-4774-A1C5-822C847438DC.jpeg AAF9C2D8-5C57-40BF-A739-074886028EA0.jpeg

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
What he 👆 said.???

·
SuperModerator
3,339 Posts
I remember when I first got my 2006 Wing and changed the oil and filter. The manual said to remove the cover. I dutifully removed the cover just as instructed. I later found out that was necessary. Now I don't remember whether it was the Owner's Manual or the Shop Manual that told me to remove the lower cowl.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Can not always trust manuals. I have found that to be true in some camera manuals. Don't mess with front cover just to change oil and filter.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Just checked. My shop manual for '01 - '05 says to remove it. Can't think why. (It's called the front lower fairing.) It may have been amended in later editions. At least I hope so.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
If he didn't remove it he would have never found those problems. Now he knows better about this Burt fellow.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
when I took off the front silver cover to Change the oil and filter yesterday I noticed everything was kind of messed up with it. all the plastic was not put back in order and the black over some proportion valve and other parts was not installed correct. The results were broken outer tabs on the front silver cover, yeah Berts supposably Goldwing tech, anyways I thought about it over night and made the center two the shoulder bolt connection for that black upper cover and the outer two short push rivets to hold the tabs from the lowers.

View attachment 369464 View attachment 369465
I see many lower center cowls that are broken like that. It happed just like you say. The plastic was not stacked correctly. Since it has the nut plate, it needs to be what the inner side cowl, and the upper center cowl attaches too. Another way to say that is that the bolt going into that hole has a shoulder long enough to squeeze 3 pieces of plastic together just before its shoulder bottoms against the nut plate. If the nut plate sits only behind the upper center cowl, then the long shouldered bolt's shoulder is to long, and there is no squeezing of the plastic before the shoulder bottoms on the nut plate. The shoulder bottoms early and then with very little torque and the bolt breaks the plastic that the nut plate attaches too.

I recommend that you replace the lower center cowl. They often come up on eBay for sale. Another option is to get a chrome one, or ask here since many remove the OEM one and install a chrome one and their old one is just laying around.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess that great Goldwing repair shop you were raving about in another thread isn't so great after all....
I don’t believe it was raving, it is a nice clean shop. You never know unless this kind of stuff happens.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Instead if the two outer bolt being the anchor I made the two inner the anchor and the two outer with push pin rivits. this will work just fine

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You take the cowl off to change the oil?
gives me the chance to clean it good and inspect what’s behind it. Typically it’s no big deal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts