GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a trip next summer in the Colorado Rockies. I read about the Guanella Pass Road from Georgetown, CO to Grant, CO. Sounds like a great route. However, it could be a bit of a challenge on the Wing. I don't mind riding some gravel. I am looking for first hand knowledge of this road. Have you crossed this pass on the Wing (or any type of bike) and how did it go? Thanks for any info. :)

Dave

·
Registered
287 Posts
We were over it two years ago on a Wing . Beautiful views but would not ride it again . The paved part was almost as rough as the gravel . Large holes and big rocks sticking up .

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I did it two up pulling a trailer, My arms still hurt !!! Did not fall down, but would never try it again on a big bike

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kikker said:
One of my favorite in Colorado is the full length of Highway 285.
Thanks for the recommendation. We will check it out. :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Has anybody ridden Gold Camp Rd......or Phantom Canyon Rd....?

It runs from Cripple Creek around the backside of Pikes Peak.....it was a train track at one time.

Took me 5 1/2 hours to go 35 miles on it !

Mike

·
Registered
242 Posts
I haven't been on Gold Camp Road for years but the last time I drove it from Victor to Colorado Springs in a pick up it was rough as a cob. I wouldn't take the Wing on it, a dual sport for sure but not the Wing. Dave

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
DaveS said:
I haven't been on Gold Camp Road for years but the last time I drove it from Victor to Colorado Springs in a pick up it was rough as a cob. I wouldn't take the Wing on it, a dual sport for sure but not the Wing. Dave
I was on it last Nov....its not too bad, but I wouldn't Wing it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
bangladave said:
We are planning a trip next summer in the Colorado Rockies. I read about the Guanella Pass Road from Georgetown, CO to Grant, CO. Sounds like a great route. However, it could be a bit of a challenge on the Wing. I don't mind riding some gravel. I am looking for first hand knowledge of this road. Have you crossed this pass on the Wing (or any type of bike) and how did it go? Thanks for any info. :)

Dave
They are currently paving-re-paving Guanella. It is done from the Grant side all the way to the top and deep gravel from there down to Georgetown. I would assume they would have it completely done by next summer. Call the DOT here in Colorado and they can give you an update.

:cry: :cry: :cry: as it was a great DS road.

Phantom Canyon is quite doable on a wing. The only problem is that it is usually very washboard. Nice and flat but you will get bounced. I rode it on my 9fidy this summer and no problems. 60 to 70 the entire route. Now on a wing? :lol:

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marc - Thanks for the update. :) I will wait until next summer and then make some calls. If it is done we will include it in the route. :biker:

·
Registered
164 Posts
When you start your official planning give me a PM or a ring. I will go up and ride it and give you an up to the minute report. ANY excuse to get out on the scooter. :wink:

Make sure you include Trail Ridge Road (highest continuous paved road) in your plans and maybe even Mount Evans (highest paved road). If ya want some scenery.

Looking off the side of Evans about 1/2 way up :shock: :

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
287 Posts
I live on off of Gold Camp Road on FS road 376 . It is rough and washboard but can be ridden . I ride my Daul Sport on it all the time , but I haul the wing to the pavement . If you decide to ride up Gold Camp let me know I can show you some great views of the South side of the Peak ( right Wimpy ) .
Phantom Canyon is about the same both have great views
me .

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marc - we did both those in 2005 and they are on the list again for 2007. I might take you up on that offer to check out Guanella Pass for me next summer. Our trip is scheduled for August. If it all comes together I will PM you in July for a report. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wbunt - We will see how things go with the planning. We need to be in Cortez to meet up with about 100 other bikes so time is kind of limited on the route through Colorado. The Southwest Super Gathering of the LC1500 Forum is in Cortez, CO the first week in August. :yes: http://www.webspawner.com/users/orcafool/index.html I used to have a LC1500 and still keep in touch with the guys on that forum. They have several gatherings in different parts of the country every year. http://www.crowitis.com/gatherin.html Just the excuse we need to take off and ride. :biker:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts