GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had heard that there was "quite a bit" of paving going on this summer, but apparantly it is limited to the north (Georgetown) side of the pass. I started from U.S. Hwy 285 today, turned north onto Guanella Pass from the "town" (!) of Grant, and it was about 8 miles of packed dirt road with lotsa bumps until I reached old pavement. Then up to the summit, where new pavement has been laid all the way down to Georgetown. It's a pretty ride, but I am not sure the dirt part makes it worth it:shrug:.

It would be nice if they could complete this project sometime within our lifetimes, but I know funds are short.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
It has been so many years since I went over that pass....I need to add it to my list (maybe car vs Wing), but as I remember it was a beautiful ride.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
A few weeks ago we had to rebuild PODO's front end because of Guenella Pass. He took a ride over it and the left fork developed a leak. I suspect some dirt got in the seal and tore a hole.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope mine does the same thing, excuse to Traxionize!:joke:

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
The best way to do that ride right now is to breakfast at the Happy Cooker in Gtown and then ride up from that side down to the dirt, turn around there and ride back to Gtown.

Do they have it all paved on the Gtown side?

There was a couple of packed gravels sections when we were over it last month.

It is a beautiful ride, but let's not tell anyone so we can keep it to ourselves ok?

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do they have it all paved on the Gtown side?

There was a couple of packed gravels sections when we were over it last month.
Paul, it paved Georgetown to Summit and a few miles beyond, then packed gravel, washboard, rocks-stickin'-out dusty road to Grant. Why people would camp next to this road is beyond me...

But it was a fun ride!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I've often thought about taking that same road figuring it HAD to be paved by now. Last time I was on that road was 30-35 years ago when I went to the ski area that used to be up there. That road was crap back then...maybe now a shorter stretch of crap, but nasty nevertheless.

Too bad that wasn't "shovel ready" when Obama was handing out his economic stimulus.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
A few weeks ago we had to rebuild PODO's front end because of Guenella Pass. He took a ride over it and the left fork developed a leak. I suspect some dirt got in the seal and tore a hole.
Well, there was Terryall Creek thrown in there for good measure too.
You know the south half of that road, the part that's used as a pothole storage facility? That was the GOOD part. The rest of it was gravel and crushed asphalt.

I've often thought about taking that same road figuring it HAD to be paved by now. Last time I was on that road was 30-35 years ago when I went to the ski area that used to be up there.
You can still see the runs for the "ghost" ski area of Geneva Basin as you drive by it.

Too bad that wasn't "shovel ready" when Obama was handing out his economic stimulus.

It was...
The sign on the Grant side said it was going to be finished by October 2010.

I guess a few more shovels wouldn't have hurt...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
A section of the road was closed for quite a while. I was told by the Forest Service that it was due to a landslide that wouldn't stop moving. I need to go over it now that it's open.
There are great hikes off that road. The wife and I snowshoe up on the Grant side in the winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts