GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never been to Sturgis and wouldn't go if someone paid for the trip.

Thousands of mostly inexperinced riders (many who trailered there), crowds everywhere, inflated prices on everything, lots of people drinking too much, and lots of noisy butt jewelry.

If you enjoy it, that's great. It just holds no allure to me, at all.

Now, I wouldn't mind spending some time there, say a month before or a month after, to ride all the great roads out there.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I once went to Sturgis during bike week. Never again.

We ride up and around NW Nebraska and South Dakota a couple times a year, as we like that area. Rapid City SD is only 950 miles from our home and it makes for a nice road trip. BUT - NOT during bike week.

Probably the same reason that I don't go to Daytona anywhere near bike week.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Everyone shoud go once including you.
And I was just going to offer to pick up your tab. I still will if you get your butt up here.
I was there on opening Monday last year. Got into town @ 11AM and was gone by 1 PM. I agree, not for me.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
"We all dress alike, look alike, and ride the same bike to two locations each year to show people how different we are" Willie G. Davidson.:lol::wrong:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Once is good as it is an amazing thing to see. However, it is hot and just too many people to suit me. But that is the reason that people go -- to see lots of bikes and crazy people! Hot weather -- less clothes also! Been there -- done that -- not again!

My favorite time in the Black Hills is the 2nd half of June. Cooler temps, few people, and some great riding and sights. The week of Sturgis Bike Week is not the time to see and enjoy the sights.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Its a Harley thing. You wouldnt understand.
Most of us have ridden Harley's and we do understand - to the point we choose ride on great roads rather than in crowded venues.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
My wife and I will be out that way in Sept. for the first time.Many of our friends have invited us to go out with them during bike week for years,but after going to bike week in Myrtle beach for six years I have had enough.

Barry
Barry
Whats this many of our friends thing :rolleyes:
I thought i was your only friend :shrug:

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
1 rally is like the rest...Sturgis, Daytona, Leesburg, Myrtle Beach, you name it....You been to 1, you been to them all....

Its all about the ride there, back, and while you are there...plus the "eye candy". One can name what ever "eye candy" is "eye candy" to them..bikini clad women, loud pipes, fancy paint job, what ever....:bow:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Thousands of mostly inexperinced riders (many who trailered there), crowds everywhere, inflated prices on everything, lots of people drinking too much, and lots of noisy butt jewelry.

Now, I wouldn't mind spending some time there, say a month before or a month after, to ride all the great roads out there.

Now if you think about it and worded it like this..
Hundreds of mostly inexperienced riders (some who trailered there), crowds everywhere, inflated prices on everything, lots of people drinking to much that they have to pee often, and lots of noisy butts from what they ate.
Then you'd be describing a yearly "Goldwing" gathering which will remain nameless.

Paul ,You & I and a lot of other folks don't care for these types of events,WHY??
Because we prefer the roads less traveled,sometimes in the company of just a few experienced riders who enjoy the same pace.Sometimes we do our thing alone and have the same enjoyment.

But that's not to say that those who go to these crowded events don't have as much enjoyment as people like us do.

That's the great thing about this country.You can go and see what you please,and it's all good.:thumbup:

·
Registered
554 Posts

:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
I don't wanna go there either for the event. I also avoid Ney York City, LasVegas, Myrtle Beach, and such. I did "see" Daytona bike week one year since I was in Orlando on business anyway and I don't wanna see that again either. Give me a cool clear mountain stream with a shaded bank any day.

prs

·
Registered
728 Posts
Rallies

Rode a freakin' Softtail over 1000 miles to a Harley Owner's Group rally back in '94. Not only would I not attend another, but I damn sure wouldn't ride another Softtail that distance. They had factory demo rides and the bike wrangler had to pry my hand off the grips when I got back from test-riding a RoadKing :bow:. I sure would of traded him my Softtail on the spot for the RoadKing :lol:, but alas, I had to ride it 1K miles back to Texas AND THEN I got rid of it and got another Goldwing :thumbup: BTW, 30 or 40 years ago and maybe that'd been my cup of tea

·
Registered
684 Posts
Two bikes are one too many.......thousands of bikes are out of the question!

Guess I'm just a loner.

Mike

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Attended the Laughlin River Run for many years, was there when the Angels and Mongols had the shoot out at Harrah's, and the 50,000 people at these events was enough to not even consider going to Sturgis. The best thing about going to Laughlin was the ability to get an In-N-Out Burger!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Last year I rode cross country in August. From Michigan, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Montana every time that I stop, people asked if I was going to Sturgis. Same answer. Maybe, but not during bike week. Not for me.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Yo, Paul. I lived in Montana for a number of years. If you need a "guide" to ride out that way, just drop me a line. I work cheap!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts