GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Delphi XM for the bike and a full tank of gas to come visit YOU. :lol: So, taking requests as I write.........
ONLY PART OF THAT IS RIGHT. Now, what I need is info. on where and how to mount it. I have seen pics before but never really thought about it. The place where she bought it is going to install it for me but I need to see some pics of mounts and where to buy the mount from. On the left side of my handlebars I have the Butler 32oz mug holder, so that side is out. On the right side where the brake fluid holder is on top of that is a set of toggle switches. I think a ram mount will elevate it? ANY HELP and thoughts about where to place the antenna. I spoke with the installer and he said in the trunk under the lining or panel? I haven't a clue. So, PLEASE send pics and comments for me ASAP as I am lost...as usual... :shock: I will order it as soon as everyone tells me what to buy and do. I need the place and maybe even the part numbers or what ever set up u have?
Again friends thanks for all the help......

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

:blw1:

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
I have had mine mounted below the right pocket. I was able to use all of the stock mounting supplies that came with the Delphi unit.

Originally I had mine mounted with a RAM mount to the handlebars, but I didn't like it sticking up there. I am now able to slip it off the mount and stick it in the locked pocket with all the cables still attached (when parked somewhere)

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have mine mounted the same as Steve does. I don't like to clutter up the bike. Mounted where it is it's unobtrusive, easy to stash in the pocket, and I can still operate it ok.

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Had me going there for a minute ...

Thought you were going to share some secret that I'm sure would have embarassed some of us. Good choice. On my ride today, XM channel 24 (Sunny - the elevator music channel) was playing Christmas music non-stop. Was just a little funny riding with the temp at 66 and listening to Christmas music. But at least its looking like winter around here. The trees are finally bare, the grass all brown, and even with the bright sunshine we had today, the earth looks bare. I thought as I was riding the back roads and contemplating things how neat it is that the trees and grass get a rest from all their work during the Spring and Summer. For those of us who are retired (well, sort of), it is a good lesson nature teaches. After all our years of work and struggle, now we can lean back and rest after all those years. Well, at least do something we want to do!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Trawler

:) Hey Trawler cant help you with the unit mount but on the antenna it works best to have it mounted on the outside of bike less drop outs if any,had my antenna mounted inside trunk lots of drop outs, I made a bracket and mounted it inbetween the backrest and the trunk works great. :D :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Hey Mesquite Bob.........that photo of you looks familiar. I wonder where you found it :lol:

Sure enjoyed the ride with you all.

Steve

·
Registered
979 Posts
Trawler

Here is my XM mount,should be do able with the butler as well, Cycle Gadget ram mt. :) :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hedoman -

Hey Steve, you remembered! Still have great memories of that trip this last summer. Sorry about you guys being buried, but that's life in the northlands. Come on down if you get tired of it. Not as nice as Florida, but then the change isn't all that great either. Have a wonderful Christmas.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Mesquite Bob,

I heard from my family in Fort Meyers FL, and they say they are looking for frost tonight. They were busy covering there fruit trees. Up here in the north, we don't cover our fruit trees....LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
185 Posts
auxillary or other?

These are some great install ideas.
Are most of you using the auxillary plug in the pocket or some other method of getting the sound to the speakers?

mike

·
Registered
823 Posts
I always use the Aux connection for my Delphi, along with a ground loop isolator from Electrical Connection.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I always use the Aux connection for my Delphi, along with a ground loop isolator from Electrical Connection.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Antenna is on Brake resevoir with Ram Mount

Got it this time

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Congratulations, Bruce!

I like to change channels, so I wanted mine close to my left hand...

I also have the Butler cupholder, but I made a simple little bracket using their mounting screws. I ran the wires inside the handlebar and down under the LH pocket where I picked up power and ran the audio through an E/C ground loop isolator and then into the Aux. connection.

I put the antenna on the front brake reservoir - it works great and looks like it belongs.

When I park the bike, I pop the unit out and either put it in my jacket pocket, or drop it in the RH fairing pocket. If it rains, I pop a baggie out of my LH pocket and it covers it up very nicely.

Good luck with your install!

(You can see larger versions of these pictures, if desired, by clicking Here)[/b]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fm Modulator

I used the FM Modulator, mounted it under the seat. The antenna is mounted up on the dash just to the left of center.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Re: Fm Modulator

ToddHud said:
I used the FM Modulator, mounted it under the seat. The antenna is mounted up on the dash just to the left of center.
Gotta ask ya.....Why go thru the bother and expense of adding an FM modulator when you can hook-up right into the bikes auxillary input plug??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts