GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read three articles on my pc that said it will have it. One said that it will also have the radar type feature that tells you when someone is next to you in the other lane, whatever that is called. Didn't see anything else mentioned so I'm not sure how accurate these are. Sounds expensive. I can go back through my history and post the links if you guys want them. I'm at work so my history is different on my phone browser. $3k min. $5k max.?

·
Love The DCT
13,010 Posts
The feature that tells you when someone is coming up next to you in the other lane is called Blind Spot Detection. The Ducati Multistrada V4 S has adaptive cruise control and blind spot detection. BMW has adaptive cruise control but they do not have blind spot detection.

At this time, I haven't seen anything concrete that says the 2023 wing will have these features. My guess is the 2023 wing will have at least one of those features if not both of them. If the 2023 wing comes with both of those features, I'm guessing $1K.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Look at the real world, historic price changes on BMW R1250RTs from the non-adaptive cruise control year to the first year ACC was available. That’ll give a possible order of magnitude guess at price range for ACC.

Otherwise, while speculation on possible pricing for ACC equipped new Gold Wings may be entertaining for some, the exercise has about the same utility as debating how many fairies can fit on the head of a pin.

But since you asked, I’ll play. The new ACC on Gold Wings will add less than $10,000 USD to the current MSRP. 😀

Tim

·
Love The DCT
13,010 Posts
Look at the real world, historic price changes on BMW R1250RTs from the non-adaptive cruise control year to the first year ACC was available. That’ll give a possible order of magnitude guess at price range for ACC.

Otherwise, while speculation on possible pricing for ACC equipped new Gold Wings may be entertaining for some, the exercise has about the same utility as debating how many fairies can fit on the head of a pin.

But since you asked, I’ll play. The new ACC on Gold Wings will add less than $10,000 USD to the current MSRP. 😀

Tim
BMW first made ACC available on the 2021 R1250RT. There is not an individual charge for it. It is part of the "Dynamic Package." The Dynamic Package cost in 2021 was $1,900.00 and it consists of the following items:

Dynamic ESA
Gear Shift Assist Pro
Ride Modes Pro
Adaptive Cruise Control.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
My 2010 Taurus Limited has adaptive cruise control, adjustable from 3 to 5 to 7 car lengths if memory serves me correctly and I love it but rarely use it here in ChicagoLand, but heading East to Jersey / Philly, Oklahoma city, or Minot ND on interstates, I love it...but, on a bike ?

I've ridden 10+ miles on a highway and wondered, "How'd I get here"...so I'd be a bit concerned.
*I wonder how many of us dazed out and did that ? *

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
BMW first made ACC available on the 2021 R1250RT. There is not an individual charge for it. It is part of the "Dynamic Package." The Dynamic Package cost in 2021 was $1,900.00 and it consists of the following items:

Dynamic ESA
Gear Shift Assist Pro
Ride Modes Pro
Adaptive Cruise Control.
Ergo, my speculation that the additional cost of ACC on a new Wing would be less than $10,000 USD was absolutely prophetic.

Tim

·
Love The DCT
13,010 Posts
My 2010 Taurus Limited has adaptive cruise control, adjustable from 3 to 5 to 7 car lengths if memory serves me correctly and I love it but rarely use it here in ChicagoLand, but heading East to Jersey / Philly, Oklahoma city, or Minot ND on interstates, I love it...but, on a bike ?

I've ridden 10+ miles on a highway and wondered, "How'd I get here"...so I'd be a bit concerned.
*I wonder how many of us dazed out and did that ? *
Well I can tell you from personal experience that BMW and Ducati's ACC works quite well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The feature that tells you when someone is coming up next to you in the other lane is called Blind Spot Detection. The Ducati Multistrada V4 S has adaptive cruise control and blind spot detection. BMW has adaptive cruise control but they do not have blind spot detection.

At this time, I haven't seen anything concrete that says the 2023 wing will have these features. My guess is the 2023 wing will have at least one of those features if not both of them. If the 2023 wing comes with both of those features, I'm guessing $1K.
One of the links had a diagram/drawing that showed the unit. So I'm thinking I'd on the works. Not concrete, but about as close as you can get, right?

·
Registered
2018 6-Speed
803 Posts
I see no real need for Adaptive Cruise Control on a motorcycle, maybe auto emergency braking but that sounds tricky on a bike? I have the ACC on my RX350 and it's usually more annoying than worth using, especially on hilly roads so I generally turn it off and use the regular cruise control. I do think Blind Spot Monitoring would be helpful, certainly is on my cars. I also think Honda should add power mirrors to the Goldwing, I would love that but I don't know where they would put more buttons!

Bottom line, I wouldn't pay much extra for any of these features on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I see no real need for Adaptive Cruise Control on a motorcycle, maybe auto emergency braking but that sounds tricky on a bike? I have the ACC on my RX350 and it's usually more annoying than worth using, especially on hilly roads so I generally turn it off and use the regular cruise control. I do think Blind Spot Monitoring would be helpful, certainly is on my cars. I also think Honda should add power mirrors to the Goldwing, I would love that but I don't know where they would put more buttons!

Bottom line, I wouldn't pay much extra for any of these features on a motorcycle.
It works perfectly on a bike. Hill make no difference, choose the speed and it does it. If you catch up, it slows or applies the brakes. It’s a natural evolution of cruise and takes away the only aspect that’s annoying, encountering slower vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2022 Tour DCT
184 Posts
I have read three articles on my pc that said it will have it. One said that it will also have the radar type feature that tells you when someone is next to you in the other lane, whatever that is called. Didn't see anything else mentioned so I'm not sure how accurate these are. Sounds expensive. I can go back through my history and post the links if you guys want them. I'm at work so my history is different on my phone browser. $3k min. $5k max.?
they are NOT going to be able to sell the bike for that much more money
$1000 in an add-on is the most are going to get to charge just like BMW
the way the bike is put together this for those things that have to redesign the entire front end and that will cost a fortune in research and development
I just can't imagine a company that seems to update the Gold Wing once a century is going to do that next year
I love my adaptive cruise control in my Hyundai palisade
but I'll never understand how it would be safe on a motorcycle
90% of us take one hand off the handlebar especially with cruise control on to rest our wrists and fingers
I have no idea how anyone would stay upright on a bike if someone pulled in front of you and the adaptive cruise control hit the brakes hard to save your life
just think about it
I love adaptive cruise control motorcycle I don't see how it could be safely implemented
for obvious reasons

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
464 Posts
Anything safety related even if it makes no sense, I am for it and my check book will be fine with it. However, not selling my 2020 for 23. Too soon, loss of money, not worth it, YET!! Mine will be between my legs for a while. Happy and safe ride.......!!!!!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Anything safety related even if it makes no sense, I am for it and my check book will be fine with it. However, not selling my 2020 for 23. Too soon, loss of money, not worth it, YET!! Mine will be between my legs for a while. Happy and safe ride.......!!!!!!!
Don't contradict yourself in the same post. (Early signs of dementia!) 😂🤣😂

1 - 20 of 72 Posts