GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

Registered
I would turn it off or disable it. I don't see how I could lane filter the LA traffic with that thing warning me all the time. While I like technology, I think there comes a time when it makes thing more difficult. Back up cameras are my favorite example. In the "old days" I would raise my body up out of the seat, place my right are over the back of the front passenger seat, place my left hand at the 12 o'clock position of the steering wheel, swivel my head back and forth, and then back up when it's safe to do so. Now days I see drivers with their head down in the center console trying to line up the guiding lines on the screen with the parking lot lines. Speaking only for myself, I'm not sure that a good idea.

Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
You lane filter using cruise control? Wow 馃槼

I don't have a huge problem with ACC as such but I do have a problem with Emergency Autonomous Braking (EAB) which would be part of it. My nephew has an Audi car that has EAB and it's a disaster. It occasionally slams the brakes on full for absolutely no reason. Not only does it frighten the occupants of his car (and throw objects around) but anyone following has to try to avoid rear ending him. You can imagine the abuse he gets when this happens.

I would not have that on a motorcycle. You'd end up flying over the handlebars one day just because a butterfly flew in front if you.

Registered
First off, no reason for Honda to change the '23 at all. All the '22s are sold out as far as I can tell (I ordered mine in November and don't have one yet). So, they can sell all they can build, why spend more money adding features? Plus Honda is not known for being "first" with their motorcycles (other than DCT & Airbag I suppose).

Having said that, the '18 model / Gen 6 is due for a refresh and it will be 5 years when the '23 comes out. But there is a lot that could be done. New display (with touch screen - like the Africa Twin), a decent GPS system that gets at least annual map updates, the upgraded MCU that the Africa Twin uses allowing for more ride modes and more options with ride modes, better sag setting (automatic set the suspension based upon the weight on the bike), better rebound adjustment, WiFi to allow for auto updating of vehicle software and GPS maps, fix the horn button, improve the radio reception, allow Carplay to work when your phone is plugged in WITHOUT requiring a BlueTooth helmet (use speakers), Cooled seats (if Corbin can do it, Honda can do it), increase power & torque, more colours, better tire pressure control system. And after some of that, perhaps thangs that require more changes to the vehicle itself - Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot Information, 360 degree cameras, Lane departure warning and other accident avoidance software / hardware - stuff that is already available on cars.

My experience with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is quite positive with my 10 year old Volvo. I use it all the time. Through play ground zones and even in rush hour in 50 kph zones. And while I REALLY like it, I would like the option to just use regular cruise sometimes. Currently if the radar gets blocked I totally loose cruise control.

Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
Neither blind-spot monitoring nor ACC would be useful when lane-splitting in SoCal traffic. I'll want to see the specifics and details of Honda's implementaiton before decideing whether to use it at anytime, because the ACC on my CR-V is fairly clumsy. As far as how much it will cost, regardless of whether any such new features are offered standard or as options, competition from other brands offering similar features will limit what Honda can charge.

Registered
Only color changes for 2023.
I've seen official Honda models/updates timeline. No significant changes.
1-post and joined in the last day......sorry, but need a little more credibility than that.
My dealer said.... 馃檭

Reactions: T-88

Registered
Nightshade blue
Europe, no info on color, it was only "color change".
I bought new bike 2 days ago based on info there wont be significant changes next year. I can wait months, but no years :).
Really don't care if you don't believe me :)

Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
Europe, no info on color, it was only "color change".
I bought new bike 2 days ago based on info there wont be significant changes next year. I can wait months, but no years :).
Really don't care if you don't believe me :)
Thanks for posting. Don't take it personally. We often see posts about new models that turn out to be based on unfounded rumors, so people have grown skeptical.

Registered
Nightshade blue
No worries :).
Btw how do you compare adaptive CC in car with one on motorcycle?
I drove few cars with ACC, owned one bike ( KTM SAS) and drove latest RT and really cant compare usage scenario. In car I pretty much relax with ACC, on two wheels I could never be remotely relaxed when using ACC.
I do like it but while I use it in car every time I hit highway, on motorcycle I use it very rarely.. Especially if I want to be faster than cars, which is most of the time/always :).

regards

Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
No worries :).
Btw how do you compare adaptive CC in car with one on motorcycle?
I drove few cars with ACC, owned one bike ( KTM SAS) and drove latest RT and really cant compare usage scenario. In car I pretty much relax with ACC, on two wheels I could never be remotely relaxed when using ACC.
I do like it but while I use it in car every time I hit highway, on motorcycle I use it very rarely.. Especially if I want to be faster than cars, which is most of the time/always :).

regards
I haven't tried ACC on a motorcycle, but I am leery. Traffic is heavy where I am (Southern California/Los Angeles) and opportunities to use CC on the motorcycle are limited. I would try ACC on the Goldwing, but I have trouble imagining it would be useful with cars so close and constantly moving in and out. Also, unlike driving a car, ACC in a motorcycle is philosophically opposed to the reason I ride, which is to be more in contrrol, not less.

I have ACC in my Honda CR-V, and while I like it generally, the Honda implementation is problematic in two areas: it does not accelerate quickly when, after it has slowed down to match the speed of a leading car, I move over into the next lane to pass; and it is over-sensitive to leading vehicles exiting freeways to the right and brakes unnecessarily. I don't know if the ACC implementations in other cars are better.

What is your experience?

Registered
Nightshade blue
I think ACC is meant to be "stick to one lane and relax". Pretty different compared to how I (we) drive bikes.
On bike I want to be as fair away possible from cars/trucks. And ACC works best if it has vehicle in front to track. Also, ACC makes sense with lane keeping assist, something many cars now have. Bikes... not sure we will ever see something like that :)

While I used it on 2 wheels both implementations KTM and BMW worked great (AFAIK same sensors/producer (Bosch)), but I used it just occasionally.
In car I turn it on "second I enter lane on highway", sometimes even in city traffic (Volvo V90, great ACC with Pilot assist lane keeping) but on bike...

As I said, I just don't find it that much usable on bikes as is in cars, and it doesn't seem appropriate to compare ACC as used on cars with same tech on bikes My 2 cents.

Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
I think ACC is meant to be "stick to one lane and relax". Pretty different compared to how I (we) drive bikes.
On bike I want to be as fair away possible from cars/trucks. And ACC works best if it has vehicle in front to track. Also, ACC makes sense with lane keeping assist, something many cars now have. Bikes... not sure we will ever see something like that :)

While I used it on 2 wheels both implementations KTM and BMW worked great (AFAIK same sensors/producer (Bosch)), but I used it just occasionally.
In car I turn it on "second I enter lane on highway", sometimes even in city traffic (Volvo V90, great ACC with Pilot assist lane keeping) but on bike...

As I said, I just don't find it that much usable on bikes as is in cars, and it doesn't seem appropriate to compare ACC as used on cars with same tech on bikes My 2 cents.
I agree.

Registered
2020 Tour Manual, 2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan
When I drove tractor trailer we had dash cams pointed to the road ahead and also on the driver. Going over a big bump, swerving too hard or hitting the brakes hard "recorded" the incident, including what the driver was doing. Driving too close to the vehicle ahead of you would give you "points" toward unsatisfactory driving (too many points and you're fired). So... you had to keep a considerable distance between you and the vehicle ahead.

With a motorcycle, I keep a really good distance between me and he vehicle ahead. But that's an invitation for someone passing me to pull into my lane effectively reducing my following distance. So I have to slow down to open up the gap.

So.... with ACC slowing you down each time that happens, you could conceivable end up coming to a stop as each car pulls into the gap you've created to keep a safe following distance.

I didn't like the ACC on the tractor trailer. One time, someone came onto the hi way from an on-ramp and cut across my (slow) lane into the (faster) lane but was only several feet ahead of me. It was a safe maneuver for him, but my brakes were automatically applied very hard, triggered the dash cam and I got points for following too closely.

On my motorbike, I tend to ride in the fast lane moving slightly faster than the cars to my right. But even then, if I leave too much room ahead of me, cars will be on my tail, they'll pass me on the right and then pull back over to the left ahead of me causing me to slow down a bit which irritates those behind me, etc. etc.

You can't win and ACC is not for me.

Registered
I don't see a need for ACC. It's on both of my 4 wheelers. They are both Ford products. I think it could be dangerous to have it on a motorcycle. Motorcycle are already so gadget loaded that take away from the experience of riding a motorcycle.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts