GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent the last two days testing the ECM reflash from Guhl Motors on my 2012 to see if I can duplicate the cold start stumble, and I can't make it happen now under any circumstances. I've tested it down to 40 degrees, and have started the bike totally cold and immediatly ridden it within less than a second after starting the engine, and the bike absolutely will not stumble or hesitate in the least. I believe they have resolved it. The bike feels like it is pulling a bit harder at low RPMs in the lower gears, and feels like its throttle response has slightly improved as well in the lower RPMs.

If you have a 2012 - 2014 bike, and are having problems with the cold start stumble off idle, they are offering the same reflash I have to resolve this issue. It makes some changes to both ignition timing and fuel mapping in the lower RPM ranges that resolves the lean issue that causes the bike to stumble when cold. This reflash makes the bike run very similar to the 2006-2010 bikes. The cost of the reflash is $375 and includes express one-day return shipping of your ECM back to you, and it is currently available now.

Additional maps for the GL1800 will be made in the future as they plan on putting a GL1800 on the dyno to see what additional performance can be gotten out of the bike, which will probably happen in the next month or so. I will post more info as the project moves forward.

The web site for Guhl Motors is:
http://www.guhlmotors.com/

And their address is:

Guhl Motors
4126 Oregon Pike.
Ephrata, PA

I have NO vested interest in this other than wanting to help to facilitate this project to happen, because it is something I think will offer some unique benefits to GL1800 owners that has not been previously available.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the up date. I have been following the thread and reading. I have a new 2012 model and may have mine done at a later time. Will see how the dyno numbers look like. I have a friend that also has a 2012 model and said his runs slower than the 06-10 models. He had a 04 model and claims it was a lot faster than his 12 model. He rides with several Goldwings and the 06-10 models pull away from him. This might be what he needs to bring his power back up to par. Mine seems to run good, but other than riding a 05 model for 5 days I can't say if it was faster than my 12 model. So I have nothing to compare with at present.
David

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
If the GL1800s turn out as good as the Kawasakis that will be a happy day for GL1800 owners!

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the GL1800s turn out as good as the Kawasakis that will be a happy day for GL1800 owners!
Guhl Motors reflashed the ECU in my Concours, and I got significant gains in both low end torque and horsepower all across the band. Gas mileage also improved.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Guhl Motors reflashed the ECU in my Concours, and I got significant gains in both low end torque and horsepower all across the band. Gas mileage also improved.
I got mine reflashed also... now waiting for spring. I could find no unhappy customers and he is a great guy to talk to. The C-14 is certainly not a dog, but... Well, you know! He definitely knows his stuff! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Thanks for the up date. I have been following the thread and reading. I have a new 2012 model and may have mine done at a later time. Will see how the dyno numbers look like. I have a friend that also has a 2012 model and said his runs slower than the 06-10 models. He had a 04 model and claims it was a lot faster than his 12 model. He rides with several Goldwings and the 06-10 models pull away from him. This might be what he needs to bring his power back up to par. Mine seems to run good, but other than riding a 05 model for 5 days I can't say if it was faster than my 12 model. So I have nothing to compare with at present.
David
Well, he can't get anything out that is not there, but you can bet when he is done it will do everything it should have done from the factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts