GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Vendor
21,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Guhl Motors ECM reflash for the 2018/19 bikes is completed and he is now reflashing ECMs. Improvements include better throttle response in Tour mode, more controllable in lower gears in Sport Mode, ability for the bike to retain the last mode it was shut down in, elimination of the speed limiter function, and a slight improvement in horsepower.

You will have to remove the ECM and ship it to them. Cost is $375.

Here is their website. http://www.guhlmotors.com/

·
Vendor
21,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This topic will invariably bring out the Warranty Nannies. And while there may be some risk, I can tell you that in all the years of reflashing both Honda and Kawasaki ECM's I have never heard of one single case where a reflash had any impact whatsoever on a warranty claim. So I think the fear is a bit overblown. Honda dealerships are not checking to see if your ECM has been reflashed, and really couldn't care less. And the reflash itself is not making drastic changes to the engine parameters that would cause problems with your engine. I've taken my own bike in for warranty work with a reflashed ECM and it was not an issue at all.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
This topic will invariably bring out the Warranty Nannies. And while there may be some risk, I can tell you that in all the years of reflashing both Honda and Kawasaki ECM's I have never heard of one single case where a reflash had any impact whatsoever on a warranty claim. So I think the fear is a bit overblown. Honda dealerships are not checking to see if your ECM has been reflashed, and really couldn't care less. And the reflash itself is not making drastic changes to the engine parameters that would cause problems with your engine. I've taken my own bike in for warranty work with a reflashed ECM and it was not an issue at all.

They can only deny the warranty claim if they can make a connection to the reflash being the cause of the breakage. That could include a lot of things.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts

Fred, that only took 12 minutes for the nannies to come out. LOL

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Thank you, Fred. I will be doing this soon. Thank you also about the video you provide showing short cut method to R&R the control unit.

prs

·
Registered
833 Posts
This topic will invariably bring out the Warranty Nannies. And while there may be some risk, I can tell you that in all the years of reflashing both Honda and Kawasaki ECM's I have never heard of one single case where a reflash had any impact whatsoever on a warranty claim. So I think the fear is a bit overblown. And the reflash itself is not making drastic changes to the engine parameters that would cause problems with your engine. I've taken my own bike in for warranty work with a reflashed ECM and it was not an issue at all.

Honda dealerships are not checking to see if your ECM has been reflashed, and really couldn't care less.

Hey Fred, you're right. Heck, according to some of the posts I've read, the dealers don't even check to see if there is OIL in your bike when you buy it.>:)

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't help myself..............0:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Does the flash address the snatchiness at 0 - 1/16 throttle?
Trying to stop and start in traffic with the absolute smallest amount of throttle makes me feel like a newbie, with the bike lurching back and forth, even in Tour mode.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My question what is the 2018/19 top speed with the speed limiter removed?>:)
I doubt anyone has found the "top speed" yet. Gary Thompson had the needle pegged in 6th at a track day. IIRC, he has another track day on Veteran's Day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fred, that only took 12 minutes for the nannies to come out. LOL
Not sure if this is in reference to my question, but if so, I'm only asking a question. I've been riding Harley's since 1976. If you stand on the wrong side of the bike while filling it up at the gas station, it'll probably void your warranty.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not sure if this is in reference to my question, but if so, I'm only asking a question. I've been riding Harley's since 1976. If you stand on the wrong side of the bike while filling it up at the gas station, it'll probably void your warranty.
I haven't seen any warranty work being denied for this type of thing - or trailer hitches either. I've had a few things done under warranty. They had absolutely nothing to do with the drive train so my hitch never came in to play. The Extended Warranty worked great for me and that's why I got it for my 2017. On my 2006 I had the NAVI screen replaced along with both left and right control clusters because of sticky buttons. The NAVI screen more than covered what I paid for the warranty and I got no pushback on anything I had replaced. I believe it helped to have a great dealer too.

Personally, I wouldn't let this Guhl reflash worry me regarding the warranty. If anything, I'd wait a year or two while others be the guinea pigs and test it out. Sounds like some pretty nice benefits to me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Does the flash address the snatchiness at 0 - 1/16 throttle?
Trying to stop and start in traffic with the absolute smallest amount of throttle makes me feel like a newbie, with the bike lurching back and forth, even in Tour mode.

Have you put your bike through a transmission calibration?

prs

1 - 20 of 132 Posts