GL1800Riders Forums banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you need to go this fast on an 800+ lb. touring motorcycle...you bought the wrong bike.
I like to ride fast on my 800+ lb motorcycle...sometimes 2-up. To me, 85+ is fast and I do that a lot when the road conditions allow it. IDK if you think that is fast or not. And my DCT Tour IS the right bike for it.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Ride your ride (speed) and if you are happy more power to you-everybody has different skills and experience allows them to ride with confidence.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you need to go this fast on an 800+ lb. touring motorcycle...you bought the wrong bike.
I don't think I did buy the wrong bike. I also own a BMW K1300s which is a much higher performance bike than the GW. Doesn't mean I want to explore the top speed capability of either bike, I just don't like artificial limitations imposed by big brother (Honda).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Guy in another group said he's had his to 135 and it could do more.
Possible I suppose. It goes through the old limited speed relatively quickly and is still pulling strongly. These days with traffic I seldom see enough open road to safely try this here in Ky. Most of my riding is on secondary roads where the more responsive tour mode helps when hustling.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think I did buy the wrong bike. I also own a BMW K1300s which is a much higher performance bike than the GW. Doesn't mean I want to explore the top speed capability of either bike, I just don't like artificial limitations imposed by big brother (Honda).
I think there is a "gentleman's agreement" between vehicle manufacturers in Japan to not produce vehicles that exceed a certain top speed, even for export. I've read that from several different sources, but I am unsure if any of them are factual.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Possible I suppose. It goes through the old limited speed relatively quickly and is still pulling strongly. These days with traffic I seldom see enough open road to safely try this here in Ky. Most of my riding is on secondary roads where the more responsive tour mode helps when hustling.
Plan a road trip. UT, MT, and WY are 3 places with AWESOME scenery and WIDE OPEN spaces with LITTLE traffic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think there is a "gentleman's agreement" between vehicle manufacturers in Japan to not produce vehicles that exceed a certain top speed, even for export. I've read that from several different sources, but I am unsure if any of them are factual.
Speed limiters were voluntarily set at 186 MPH around 1999 in the US and Europe. The previous GW had no speed limiter I am aware of and would show about 130 MPH on the speedo given enough room.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Insurance is pretty cheap for the Goldwing, but insurance cost is always going up...I know my insurance rates went up quite a bit with this 2018 over my old wing ......maybe keeping the insurance rates on the cheaper side with the Goldwing...which helps sales... is one of the reasons for Honda putting the speed limiter on the bike.

·
Vendor
21,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Speed limiters were voluntarily set at 186 MPH around 1999 in the US and Europe. The previous GW had no speed limiter I am aware of and would show about 130 MPH on the speedo given enough room.
The previous generation Wing did indeed have a speed limiter on it, and it was set at 200kph. The new generation bikes speed limiter is set to 180 kph. Japan starting putting 180 kph speed limiters on nearly all the vehicles it makes a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Insurance is pretty cheap for the Goldwing, but insurance cost is always going up...I know my insurance rates went up quite a bit with this 2018 over my old wing ......maybe keeping the insurance rates on the cheaper side with the Goldwing...which helps sales... is one of the reasons for Honda putting the speed limiter on the bike.
IDK about that. When I got quotes for my 2018 GL18 DCT Tour vs a 2018 BMW GTL, the Wing was more. Underwriting claimed the GL's displacement was higher, so the rate was higher. But the BMW is faster.

·
Registered
477 Posts
ECO mode ????? VS Tour Mode???

We all know that ECO mode shifts into a higher gear quicker that TOUR or Sport. My ECO will shift into 7th at about 41-42 mph but tour is like 43-45mph. I've never seen 7th in Sport. We also know that the amount of throttle twist needed is different between the different modes.

But other than shifting quicker and throttle twist are there other changes.

Does it retard the timing in ECO or does it just shift sooner???

If no other changes after hitting top gear Tour should be as fuel friendly as ECO shouldn't it.

Just curious....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just my personal impression after the Guhl flash. If you are looking for more top end performance you are going to be dissapointed. The top speed is greater because the speed limiter is eliminated not because it makes a lot more power. Where I notice the difference is between 2 & 5 thousand RPM's and that is due to the faster throttle response (throttle plates open more and earlier). For you guys looking for more, according to Don, that will have to wait on less restrictive mufflers and adjustments in the tune to match. This bike was not designed by Honda as a performance bike and it will never be one. That being said it definitely can be made to run quicker and faster with a few alterations and the right tuning. :cool:

121 - 132 of 132 Posts