GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Riding today I made a left turn at a T intersection just as the wind gusted to 30mph or so, heard a plastic rattle but carried on as only 15 min from home base. No further noise on ride home. Parked the bike and looked it over in driveway and no evidence of any issue . Backing the bike into the garage with power off and a breeze blowing through I heard it again.

Front plastic chrome caliper cover with the abs logo cracked at the lower hex bolt. Damn!

Never used JB Weld before but I guess this is the tried and true quicker fixer upper? Any better options?

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Yes. You can use some ABS cement, or my preferred method, use MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).

Depending on the size/extent of the crack, you can either paint a bit of MEK into the crack and clamp (use painter's tape over the crack to limit runoff), or, if the crack/break is large, mix MEK with some scrap ABS in a small glass container such as a baby food container. Then you use it like bondo to weld everything together. Give it 24 hours for full strength.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes. You can use some ABS cement, or my preferred method, use MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).

Depending on the size/extent of the crack, you can either paint a bit of MEK into the crack and clamp (use painter's tape over the crack to limit runoff), or, if the crack/break is large, mix MEK with some scrap ABS in a small glass container such as a baby food container. Then you use it like bondo to weld everything together. Give it 24 hours for full strength.
I took your advise when I had some cracks & broken tabs on my fender. I made a slurry with MEK Substitute because I couldn't find the real stuff. It's probably banned in NJ like everything else but the substitute seemed to work just as well. I painted some MEK on the repair areas to soften it up a little before adding the slurry or ABS cement. I couldn't decide which I wanted to use so I used the slurry some places & the glue other places. Wherever possible I embedded a piece of ABS into the patch for strength. Everything set up great & I thing the repairs are as good as new & in some places stronger than new.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So..... I triaged the Honda plastic chrome cover with some ABS cement and thought I'll bang this back on and go for a ride between the April showers that arrive in May, but no! The rear fender is cracked as well.

So another day of first aid to remove the rear fender which doesn't come off without dropping the front wheel 😲

All first aid now completed and reinstalled, waiting for the next ray of sunshine for a battle test. Learned I need a torx bit for one bolt to remove a caliper. Thankfully I could finesse the fender out just dropping the front wheel a bit, contrary to Fred's video advice.

Also need a torque wrench!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well for the newcomers to this issue. Skip the ABS cement it doesn't do crap and flakes off the Honda plastic. JB weld or MEK is the way to go unless you like doing things twice to do them right like me 😶

·
Registered
28 Posts
I sanded any places other than the clean breaks to remove any paint or contamination. I made the slurry a little thinner than the ABS cement thinking that the higher concentration of MEK might melt the plastic better. Where I could puddle it I used the slurry & where it would run I used the cement. When I was finished I felt that both worked equally well. Fred always recommends ABS cement & I would never question his advise. I did purchase a new can of cement though. On another project I tried using some ABS cement that had been previously opened and it didn't work worth a darn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts