GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
blew left fork seal. decided to go with monotubes and traxxion triple tree and all balls bearings. i also ordered a new 709 that was on sale so i will have fred install that also.

the other 709 had about 3k remaining, but i am doing about 10k miles over the next 6 weeks.

notice my zip tie paper towel to keep oil from getting on brakes.

fred harmon in front of santa's workshop

both he and keith recommended changing out the triple tree and bearings, so i took their advice.

fred is going to put in one shim on monotubes and raise the forks in triple tree by 4mm i believe.

i am pumped:)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I thought Dr. Harmon always worked bare foot ..... he better lose those flip flops
!
Are you gonna get the lil lady some flowers after being in surgery?

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought Dr. Harmon always worked bare foot ..... he better lose those flip flops
!
Are you gonna get the lil lady some flowers after being in surgery?

fred asked me if my bikehad any special needs. i told him to come out every night and give it a wipe down and sing her a song. fred asked if their was any particular song he needed to sing :)

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Kevin, I've ridden with you and I can testify that you are one who can push the PMT's. You're gonna love them. I'm old slow fart but even I appreciate the difference with my PMT's, billet aluminum tree, and all balls bearings.

Where are you going on a 10,000 mile ride? Perhaps you might benefit from a BT-45. I think my last one went well over 25,000 miles. My Michelin Alpin rear tire had about the same mileage and still had good tread left, but I finally replaced it mainly because I felt guilty.

Glen

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kevin, I've ridden with you and I can testify that you are one who can push the PMT's. You're gonna love them. I'm old slow fart but even I appreciate the difference with my PMT's, billet aluminum tree, and all balls bearings.

Where are you going on a 10,000 mile ride? Perhaps you might benefit from a BT-45. I think my last one went well over 25,000 miles. My Michelin Alpin rear tire had about the same mileage and still had good tread left, but I finally replaced it mainly because I felt guilty.

Glen

Glen, that is great to hear that an OSF (old slow fart) can tell the difference then I should be able to also:joke: I have been content with the factory suspension on both my wings, but then again people who live in a desert are content with no trees and hot temps:) I am really excited to get that front end firmed up.

since you asked.......my next adventures for 2014 include the following:

On July 9th till 13th Keith and I are flying our wives to Denver then Keith and I will pick them up at airport and do a tour of the Rockies. My wife is not a big bad biker woman, so we will only cover about 150 miles a day in mountains. Take some time to enjoy hiking and jogging in the mornings etc. But that whole trip I will probably end up with about 3k miles.

On July 31 till Aug 10 me and about 6 other bikes are heading to Sturgis, Wyoming Montana etc. Then I am going to meet my son in Colorado for some fly fishing on the way back. That will be about a 6-7k mile epic journey.

Sometime around end of August I need to scoot back up to Colorado for some client meetings....and do a little fly fishing!

Then this fall I have to scoot down to Florida to see some clients and Sharon is running the Disney half marathon so I will meet her in Orlando. Then we have the Annual Stuffed Turkey Ride to big bend the weekend of Thanksgiving. I think the IBA is going to do another Texas rally this fall. Then I have the Harrison gathering to ride with my curve carving Arkansas mentor Monk. Then I am sure we will probably have a few "RTE" mixed in there if you and Keith and Joe can get on the stick to get them organized! So I actually need to be ready for the next 20k miles:yes1:

Of course I will have separate threads for each adventure and plenty of "live" pics to commemorate each adventure. The live pics will allow OSF's like you to ride vicariously with me:joke:

·
Banned
792 Posts
Glen, that is great to hear that an OSF (old slow fart) can tell the difference then I should be able to also:joke: I have been content with the factory suspension on both my wings, but then again people who live in a desert are content with no trees and hot temps:) I am really excited to get that front end firmed up.

On July 9th till 13th Keith and I are flying our wives to Denver then Keith and I will pick them up at airport and do a tour of the Rockies. My wife is not a big bad biker woman, so we will only cover about 150 miles a day in mountains. Take some time to enjoy hiking and jogging in the mornings etc. But that whole trip I will probably end up with about 3k miles.

On July 31 till Aug 10 me and about 6 other bikes are heading to Sturgis, Wyoming Montana etc. Then I am going to meet my son in Colorado for some fly fishing on the way back. That will be about a 6-7k mile epic journey.

Sometime around end of August I need to scoot back up to Colorado for some client meetings....and do a little fly fishing!

Then this fall I have to scoot down to Florida to see some clients and Sharon is running the Disney half marathon so I will meet her in Orlando. Then we have the Annual Stuffed Turkey Ride to big bend the weekend of Thanksgiving. I think the IBA is going to do another Texas rally this fall. Then I have the Harrison gathering to ride with my curve carving Arkansas mentor Monk. Then I am sure we will probably have a few "RTE" mixed in there if you and Keith and Joe can get on the stick to get them organized! So I actually need to be ready for the next 20k miles:yes1:

Of course I will have separate threads for each adventure and plenty of "live" pics to commemorate each adventure. The live pics will allow OSF's like you to ride vicariously with me:joke:
Did you say you have a job? :bow: I wish I could get away half as much as you seem to do. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you say you have a job? :bow: I wish I could get away half as much as you seem to do. :thumbup:
you know the old saying....I spent all my money on motorcycles and gas.....the rest i wasted:joke: It is really quite easy to be independently poor:shock:

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
You are one serious rider !!! must be the highest mile rider on this board , I love watching your adventures ! :thumbup: I am very curious to hear what you will have to say after you ride with the monotubes and new tree, Doctor Harmon will treat you right. :thumbup: not sure yet but I just might see u in Sturgis :thumbup:

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Fred.....what have you done to my poor baby......she looks like a snaggle tooth rugrat:22yikes: but I do like the bling:)
Looks like he turned it into a unicycle. Well, at least you no longer have to worry about getting fork oil on your brakes. :roll:

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
It's always a very very sad day when a GW has to go to the hospital. Hope its just a brief visit. :cry: :wrong:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Fred washed my bike when I took it to him for service. I think he has a policy against washing yeller ones though.;) Hope you like the improvements he makes.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are one serious rider !!! must be the highest mile rider on this board , I love watching your adventures ! :thumbup: I am very curious to hear what you will have to say after you ride with the monotubes and new tree, Doctor Harmon will treat you right. :thumbup: not sure yet but I just might see u in Sturgis :thumbup:

serious rider is greg rice aka travel man:)

i am curious to how the front end handles as well.

sturgis, monday night group pick across from full throttle. i hope you go, so if i break down i know you will be in the area to fix my bike:)

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fred washed my bike when I took it to him for service. I think he has a policy against washing yeller ones though.;) Hope you like the improvements he makes.
fred offered a bikini bike wash but i declined the offer:)

joe, have you done anything to your suspension?

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
fred asked me if my bikehad any special needs. i told him to come out every night and give it a wipe down and sing her a song. fred asked if their was any particular song he needed to sing :)
I listened to contemporary Christian music on the radio all afternoon while working on your bike. Don't be surprised if it pulls a little to the right when you get it back.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts